Pizza Night!!

Phil Perrin

TVWBB Hall of Fame
We broke down and bought the gas attachment for our pizza oven.
What a game changer!!
Using charcoal, it took about an hour and a half to get to 800*. With this, it heats up in about a half hour! And there’s a tray to put a piece of wood for smoke flavor.
The only drawback is I had to get another tote just to store the burner in! Small price to pay for the convenience!
My pizza, pepperoni, Italian sausage, sliced tomato and mozzarella. Cooked in about 90 seconds! EA480A4A-DBAA-4680-A000-7F38C24AA058.jpeg
Pammi’s had garden fresh pesto, sliced tomato and mozzarella. Fresh basil on it after the 90 second cook. 07F09F9A-9C61-47CB-B66C-157E47EED1D7.jpeg
A a nicely browned bottom!
0566EE98-45FE-43CD-9862-90F89F622231.jpeg
This is gonna be great for when my family comes in July!!

Phil — what kind of oven do you have?

I think you made the right call going to gas. As I have been going down the backyard pizza rabbit hole, my hypothesis has become that “wood fired” is primarily a mechanism to get very high temps and rolling flame. And not very much about the smoke. Which is the opposite of how low slow bbq works.

so if you can get to 800+ F with gas, it is all good. For a 90 second cook, seems like the smoke would have minimal flavor impact.

do you notice any taste difference now that you are cooking with gas?

Phil — what kind of oven do you have?

I think you made the right call going to gas. As I have been going down the backyard pizza rabbit hole, my hypothesis has become that “wood fired” is primarily a mechanism to get very high temps and rolling flame. And not very much about the smoke. Which is the opposite of how low slow bbq works.

so if you can get to 800+ F with gas, it is all good. For a 90 second cook, seems like the smoke would have minimal flavor impact.

do you notice any taste difference now that you are cooking with gas?
It’s a Bertello, bought using the link on this fine forum.
And, yes, there is a difference. The oven preheats for 15-20 and then you put a piece of wood on the tray, snd let it burn for about another 10 minutes to get some smoke rolling. It’s not a heavy flavor of it, but it’s there.

Back