Pizza again

Nice. What diameter is the stone and can you post your dough recipe? Using my dough recipes, I'm not able to form a crust to cover a stone that big. That looks to be a 16" stone, right?

Oh, and here's recipe for this one.

I've tried pizza and stromboli on my stok mega stone and EVERY TIME the by the time the top looks good the bottom is black burnt. Burnt to the point no one will eat it without scraping the char off the bottom.

Real pizza ovens get HOT but my guess is that they are uniformly hot which I can't seem to get in my OTS. I'd love to add a stone on the lid and raise the lower stone but I'm concerned I can't get it jot enough. If I'm going to cook a pizza at a paltry 400 F, I'll do it in the oven.

That still does not answer how one can cook pizza roulade like stromboli in a real pizza oven without burning the bottom.

Sandy B. I know what you mean about a burnt bottom. I had that when I spread the coals out evenly on the charcoal grate. I believe that was dou to the stone temp being way to hot where the crust was cooking much faster than the toppings. I went back to indirect but I also check the pizza often and rotate. This is because my stone temp varies from one side to the other. Just before I put my pizzas on the air tem is usually running ahout 550 and my stone temp ranges from 400-450. I also do it on the grill so I don't heat up my house. If done in my oven, the temp is set at 510 and that preheats for close to an hour before I put the pizza on.

Hi Nate,

Thanks for the recipe. "Makes three 12-oz dough balls".... That is a tricky statement. How much dough do you use for the pizza crust that covers your stone? NY style pizza? So the crust is thinner but you are able to fold a slice which is characteristic of NY slices? I took my kids to NYC in 2008 and they fell in love with NY style pizza so that is my standard when I make homemade pizza.

Thanks again for the info. :)

Nate,
Pizza looks great! That is a great book and the New York recipe is my go to recipe. I can't recommend this book enough. If you like to make pizza it's worth every penny. I cook my pizza in the Kettle Pizza and have had great success. With a 12oz ball I can usually get a 10-11 inch pizza. It's just about the right size. Big enough to eat and small enough to handle. Here is a pic of one of my pizzas using this recipe. Keep in mind the wife likes a lot of cheese so this was "her" pizza.

Next time we make pizzas I will take pictures of my setup and all steps and post.

Nate,
Pizza looks great! That is a great book and the New York recipe is my go to recipe. I can't recommend this book enough. If you like to make pizza it's worth every penny. I cook my pizza in the Kettle Pizza and have had great success. With a 12oz ball I can usually get a 10-11 inch pizza. It's just about the right size. Big enough to eat and small enough to handle. Here is a pic of one of my pizzas using this recipe. Keep in mind the wife likes a lot of cheese so this was "her" pizza.

Next time we make pizzas I will take pictures of my setup and all steps and post.

You have a kettle pizza? You need to invite me over so I can check it out.

Here's a post showing my set up. I have the pizza stone sitting on top of a couple of thin fire bricks.

http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?472...d-NOT-neglect-the-grill&highlight=Pizza+grill

I spread the coals evenly on the charcoal grate (1 full chimney lit over ½ chimney unlit if I have several pizzas to do) and the top and bottom finish at the same time. Occasionally, one side will cook a bit faster than the other. When/if that happens, I just rotate the pizza like the O.P. suggests.

We use the pizza dough (home made) from the Cuisinart book. My oldest son has a similar set up (extra grate elevated on bolts, tho') and he prefers the No Knead Dough. They are both excellent but just a bit different.

FWIW
Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

Last edited:
Those looks great. I think you might have already posted this ( i looked) but can you offer up more info on your set up ? I.e. how big is the stone ? it looks like a 12-14 inch stone to me. But what I'm really interested in is the "raising rack", it looks home made, how tall are the bolts ? From the pics it looks like you have some of the heat to the outside, are you cooking direct heat or indirect ?

Sorry for all of the questions but I've been trying Pizza and every single one has been a complete failure. I know I have to raise my stone to prevent the scorching of the dough and was going to go with fire bricks but this looks way more appealing. I would much prefer to have a fixed " pizza grate" that was solid ( perhaps like a 18.5 rack from the wsm or even a smokey joe rack bolted to the OTS grate) but since my stone is so big im guessing I cant raise it too high without it hitting the lid. I was actually thinking of taking some type of cutting material to my stone to make it more tombstone like like the pizza oven one ( to promote indirect cooking with the ability to add more coals/wood as it goes along) but Im not sure how to cut it.

but the pizza's look fantastic, what temp did you do them at ? I borrowed a friends IR thermometer to try to get a handle on this, but as I said ive tried multiple times to no avail.

Apologies - I have now added the link to my post above...

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

Set up is basically like what I have. I just don't spread the charcoal out evenly on the grate. I tried that once, and it was way to hot, much hotter than the air temp and burned the crust. The crust basically was cooked perfectly in 2 minutes but the toppings wern't cooked. Therefore, the method I've used a couple times so far. I started with banking the charcoal, now I think I like my new method better. It's a work in progress. I'm to cheap to by a Pizza Kettle at this time. :cool:

Those looks great. I think you might have already posted this ( i looked) but can you offer up more info on your set up ? I.e. how big is the stone ? it looks like a 12-14 inch stone to me. But what I'm really interested in is the "raising rack", it looks home made, how tall are the bolts ? From the pics it looks like you have some of the heat to the outside, are you cooking direct heat or indirect ?

Sorry for all of the questions but I've been trying Pizza and every single one has been a complete failure. I know I have to raise my stone to prevent the scorching of the dough and was going to go with fire bricks but this looks way more appealing. I would much prefer to have a fixed " pizza grate" that was solid ( perhaps like a 18.5 rack from the wsm or even a smokey joe rack bolted to the OTS grate) but since my stone is so big im guessing I cant raise it too high without it hitting the lid. I was actually thinking of taking some type of cutting material to my stone to make it more tombstone like like the pizza oven one ( to promote indirect cooking with the ability to add more coals/wood as it goes along) but Im not sure how to cut it.

but the pizza's look fantastic, what temp did you do them at ? I borrowed a friends IR thermometer to try to get a handle on this, but as I said ive tried multiple times to no avail.

Here's my set up. I use an old cast iron grate from one of my Weber Gassers with all SS hardware to raise the grate. I use one full chimney, lit, and spread appx 3/4 the way around the perimeter. This is for indirect heat. I set the cast iron stand on and my cheapo 14-15" pizza stone on. Close the lid with bowl and lid vents wide open. Preheat, maybe, 15-20 minutes. I have an IR thermometer that I can check stone temp and have a different thermometer I check air temp with above the stone. Air temp is checked through the lid vent. My temps range, but I'm usually between 510-550* air temp and 400-475* stone temp. The stone temp varies from one side to the other. I do watch the pizza closely and rotate it 180* when I think its half way done. I can monitor the top of the pizza by just looking through the vent. I also keep an eye on the bottom side of the crust. Pics of the set up. I can't remember if I posted these here.

Nate, With football season upon us I'm sure I'll be doing more Pizza cooks. I'll make sure to shoot you an invite. EDH is not that big so you might be just around the corner from me :wsm:

Back