PitDroid: An Android app for your HeaterMeter

this is an awesome app!, thank you! it works great, ther have beena few cooks (well not cooks, but HM tests) that I have not even logged onto the PC UI because this told me and allowed me to do everythgin I wanted.

Still only new to the HM scene, but I got the app up and running.

Now to play around with firewall settings so I can see cooks when not physically connected to home wifi.

Thanks

DR

Dave, it's pretty easy. You need to install the dynamic dns service plugin (I can't recall the name -- search the forums, it's an easy find). Then register with a DDNS service (I use no-ip's ddns.net service) and enter your setup in the HM interface under the newly installed plugin. Then it's just an easy port forwarding job on your router.

I personally have a music server running on the standard web port (80), so I set up my port forwarding job to reroute requests from WAN port 8080 to my HM's LAN port 80. Works perfect with PitDroid, I just put in the DDNS address name, followed by ":8080", and I'm able to access both my music server and my HM.

Colin, love your app. I've logged several cooks and it always just worked. Great job.

Is there any plan to implement an Android Wear extension of the app? It would be great to have a simple temp display on my wrist and a vibration for alarms.

I'd be happy to beta test the app on my watch, if you are interested.

I actually recently returned from Windows Phone to Android, and picked up a new Moto 360 to go with my LG V10. When I get around to doing some work on the app I'll look into what's involved in getting stuff working on the watch too.

Hey Colin, I've got a suggestion for Android -------- build a widget that can be used on the homescreen/desktop to monitor a probe temp (most likely the grate).

This could update once a minute, maybe even less, so as to not be a total drain on the battery. I'm thinking size options of 1x1, 2x1, and 2x2.

Thoughts?

-Nick

Hi all,

I am trying to sort out why my alarms are not triggering notification on my device. I side loaded PitDroid on my Blackberry Z10 and during my first cook using my heatermeter and loading PitDroid on everything worked according to plan. When the Heatermeter went off it would also trigger notification on my phone. The last two cooks I have done the alarm hasn't gone off on my phone so I am going to do some more tests to make sure it is working before my next cook. The app is working fine in terms of the connection and reporting the values on my heatermeter. I even have it set up to override the notification/silence on my phone.

I have a pebble and for some reason when I get a PitDroid alarm notification I don't see it on the pebble like all the other enabled notifications. Anyone know why?

I don't see it on the pebble like all the other enabled notifications. Anyone know why?

I don't think the current version supports smartwatches yet. I'm just happy the current android version supports the latest HeaterMeter firmware.
No problems on my Droid Turbo. :cool:

I don't think the current version supports smartwatches yet. I'm just happy the current android version supports the latest HeaterMeter firmware.
No problems on my Droid Turbo. :cool:

Usually any notification from the phone gets pushed to the watch unless its turned off in the pebble app. It doesnt seem like its a "conventional" notification when an alert goes off though so maybe that is why.

Yeah, I haven't looked into Android Wear support yet, so I'm not sure why it wouldn't be working. I'm just so busy lately, but if I find some time I'll dig in there. As always, any other programmers out there feel free to submit a pull request with any changes like this if you want it earlier. All the code is up there, and I'm happy to accept help :).

I completed my first HM build today. Everything seems to be working correctly, including this awesome app.

What password am I supposed to put in for admin in the settings? I haven't setup any passwords. Not sure if it matters or not, but I don't have the HM connected to the internet. I'm just doing the AP mode thing with all the default settings. I live in the boonies and don't have any internet service except tethering from my phone.

I completed my first HM build today. Everything seems to be working correctly, including this awesome app.

What password am I supposed to put in for admin in the settings? I haven't setup any passwords. Not sure if it matters or not, but I don't have the HM connected to the internet. I'm just doing the AP mode thing with all the default settings. I live in the boonies and don't have any internet service except tethering from my phone.

Use the same password you used on your heatermeter. If you have not entered any password then I guess you are still on the defult password, which is "root"

Default USERNAME is root.... I'm pretty sure the default password is blank.... If the password is blank I think it will prompt you to change the password, otherwise you can go to Config\System\Administration and set the password there....

Hey guys, I've been doing some work on PitDroid off and on over the last few months, and I got it to the point where I figured I would put up a beta for people to mess around with. It's still got some ugly spots to clean up (big ugly buttons to access the old pages for one), but it seems stable enough that you could actually use it in place of the released version. One caveat is that I ended up bumping the minimum Android version up to 4.1. According to the Google stats there was only one person using a device that old, and it was a pretty big hassle keeping it backwards compatible. Anyway, check out the first post for details, and submit the report if you have any crashes.

Back