PitDroid: An Android app for your HeaterMeter

However, still can't authenticate with my Android phone (it's on 2.x cm7), works fine though with my tablet on Android 4.x (cm10).

@Riku, I guess you mean that the admin authentication is not working. You're lucky I have the same issue on my device (also 2.3.x cm7) ;) I've had a quick look at it and it looks like the app isn't getting an authentication cookie back in the http response. I've I can find some I'll have an extra look at this problem. I would like to be able to control the simple HM settings by Pitdroid.

Thanks Colin and Uipko! My connection problems are resolved. Again, how does one buy you guys a beverage?

If you're close to the Hague (the Netherlands) we could go somewhere to have one. I've you really feel the urge of donating I've no problem in receiving a Bitcoin or two (cents ;). Don't forget Colin did almost all of the work I just did some bug fixes until now.

I'm planning to add some extra features when I can find some time to work on it. But first of all I've to look into the authentication problem and of-course not forget to run the WSM to test the app ;)

Colin, are you still maintaining this app? Any way to enter both an internal and external ip? Eg when I am at home with my phone on wifi, have it connect to the internal address of the heatermeter (192.168.1.xxx) and when away from home, connect to my home external static ip 69.xxx.xxx.xxx ?

eg on another app I use (NZB 360), it allows me to enter both in the server line, separated by a comma. 69.xxx.xxx.xxx:8081, 192.168.1.xxx

My router doesn't support nat loopback

Colin, are you still maintaining this app? Any way to enter both an internal and external ip? Eg when I am at home with my phone on wifi, have it connect to the internal address of the heatermeter (192.168.1.xxx) and when away from home, connect to my home external static ip 69.xxx.xxx.xxx ?

eg on another app I use (NZB 360), it allows me to enter both in the server line, separated by a comma. 69.xxx.xxx.xxx:8081, 192.168.1.xxx

My router doesn't support nat loopback

I had this exact issue & never found a 2-address solution - turned my ISP router into a modem-only & used my ASUS w/NAT loopback & all works well. It may not be a solution for you, but it's not really a bug in the app, it's standard networking gear not respecting standards....

If you own your router, does it support Tomato or DD-WRT?

Hey Mike, I am still maintaining the app, in the sense that I'll fix it if it breaks, but I'm not really doing any active development right now. I actually don't even use an Android phone any more, I switched to Windows, so I have to pull out an old one to do any development. I did have the same problem as you at one point, but I figured out how to enable loopback on my firewall. Having two addresses doesn't sound like a bad idea, so I'll take a look at that when I get back in there. Also, all the code is available online, so if anyone has any updates I'll roll them in and push out a new release.

Collin

Is it OK that I pull down the code and make some changes like making the degrees a bit readable on the side and some little updates?

I have an android phone and would be interested in helping out a bit

Yup, like Steve said I licensed it so you can do whatever you want with it, including making your own personal changes, sharing changes with me, or forking it and charging money for your version (good luck!). If you've got an improvement feel free to submit a pull request on Github and I'll see if I can figure out how to put it in. (I really dislike using Git, but since Google Code shut down that was the only real viable option.)

Just a few small changes to start. if you like them them ill send you a pull :) or email you the code.... GIT pffft

gotta have something to do during a 16 hour smoke :)

Hello,

If you are updating the PitDroid app, I have a feature request.

- A way to set the desired probe temp and the app would calculate how much longer (hours) before it reaches that temp.

For example.
When doing a cook, the food probe displays degrees per hour. I'm cooking a pork butt and I'm targeting 200 degrees internal temp, and the probe is increasing at say, 15 degrees/ hour. If the present temp is 160, then the remaining time would be:

time remaining = (200- 160) / 15 = 2.67 hrs

Hello,

If you are updating the PitDroid app, I have a feature request.

- A way to set the desired probe temp and the app would calculate how much longer (hours) before it reaches that temp.

For example.
When doing a cook, the food probe displays degrees per hour. I'm cooking a pork butt and I'm targeting 200 degrees internal temp, and the probe is increasing at say, 15 degrees/ hour. If the present temp is 160, then the remaining time would be:

time remaining = (200- 160) / 15 = 2.67 hrs

Wouldn't that be the ideal world!!

From my limited experience there's just too many variables to accurately predict the remaining time.

Your example is a good one. Pork butt. From my 3 butts that I've cooked so far (i know... limited experience). 2 have hit the dreaded stall (9lb took 11 hours, and a 10lb took 13 hours), and 1 has just ran right thru (8 lb, 9 hours). All of them have been cooked the same way. ~250 deg throughout the cook. no foiling. With dips/spikes in temps here and there (variable there of course)

A good analogy are those car GPS units that don't take into account traffic. THey'll give you an estimated time of arrival based on your speed, and/or the maximum allowable speed for the given piece of road till you arrive at your destination.

Your arrival time is say 10:30AM. For every minute stuck in traffic, that estimated time increases also by 1 minute IF you were to drive from now till destination at speed limits, but it doesn't give you the overall time with traffic.

Then of course estimating your target temp may not be when when the meat is done done (probe tender).

The increasing x deg / hour from my experience was NEVER constant. If that were true then this would be a no brainer.

As Much as I would love a feature like this to TRUELY set it and forget it:
1) I don't think it's feasible due to the many variables
2) (More importantly) It would take the fun out of low and slow smoking!

But thats just me ;)

Back