Pink Slime

Get a chuck roll, portion out and cube, vacuum and seal the bags, label, and freeze. The Kitchen Aid meat grinder for their mixer works just fine. Didn't take near as long as I thought it would, wish I would've started this a long time ago, and our fresh-ground burgers Saturday were the best ever.
icon_smile.gif

That's what I'm doing but the problem in the industry is that so much fat was "bred out" of the animals (especially pork) that I end up adding a tablespoon or so of EVOO to my meat when cooking it. Otherwise, it has a "not quite normal" taste.

I sure hope it was because it was too lean that I didn't care for it and not because it didn't have any P.S. in it to add to the "flavour".

Originally posted by Len Dennis:
That's what I'm doing but the problem in the industry is that so much fat was "bred out" of the animals (especially pork) that I end up adding a tablespoon or so of EVOO to my meat when cooking it. Otherwise, it has a "not quite normal" taste.

I sure hope it was because it was too lean that I didn't care for it and not because it didn't have any P.S. in it to add to the "flavour".

Len, in case you were referring to my post, my (chuck) burgers the other day had plenty fat and flavor. I just tried to even out the lean and the fat between all the portions before bagging. The patties seemed to cook a bit quicker and left less drippings on the coals than supermarket ground chuck.

No Dave, it was more about me finding a "fattier" piece at a reasonable price around here.

Leaner is cheaper (here anyways) as there is more of it.

This is just waste. You can't go and call this using a whole animal principle. Using a whole animal is something natural, going on for as long as we exist and it is in itself something completely different.

I watched a few J.Oliver USA shows and I could not belive how as it seems a big part of american people are eating - and in the rest of the world where the practice was copyed. Being so carelles is not good. And I am talking about kindergarden and school kitchens and how big was the strugle needed to face these people with the obvious....that they are feeding S**T to kids!

It is the waste products sold as food that are the cause of high priced healthy food. I am sure we all know that.

Peter H.

If you haven't had enough about pink slime, here's more:

10 foods with more ammonia than pink slime

Rita, I got to question that article. Cheese contains ammonia because it's naturally produced by the bacteria that it has been inoculated with. No where does it say how ammonia got into any of the other products, as it might be there naturally as well. Ammonia can be part of normal biological processes and isn't inherently evil. What's wrong with pink slime is that they are using ammonia to kill bad bacteria in meat without acknowledging that either bacteria or ammonia were there.

Does anyone here seriously defend the use of pink slime in ground beef? Not trying to bring up a argument, I am just wanting to discuss.

Does anyone here seriously defend the use of pink slime in ground beef? Not trying to bring up a argument, I am just wanting to discuss.

I never had a problem with it. I understand why they did it and I understand that one person had a problem with it and ABC, CBS and NBC took it to the next level which forced one of the companies who use it to go bankrupt which led to them laying off all their employess. But other than that, I'm fine with it.

I'm currently reading 'Blue Highways' by William Least Heat-Moon.
He traveled the back roads of America in the late 1970's.
One evening, after eating a can of tuna for dinner, he wrote:
"I'd got so uppity about multilane America and was paying the price. Secretly, I hungered for a texturized patty of genetically engineered cow."

I just can't see why it needs to be introduced to the meat. I can see mixing different cuts for ground beef, but adding in pieces that have been processed to death seems wrong and unnatural. There are certain things on the cow that do not need to be eaten. And I don't consider organs in that mix, because most animal organs are rather tasty. But the idea of taking cuts that are too tough, sinewy, and fat laden to be used without centrifuging is just gross to me. And the texture and color of it is off putting to say the least as well.

This stuff also adds to the fact that beef is over-handled so much that it becomes contaminated with bacteria. The less you process something the less likely it is that bacteria is introduced to the product. I feel this is a major contributor as to why you really don't need to enjoy a medium rare burger with this kind of meat. Only seems suitable to making spaghetti sauce or sloppy joes, but even then I'd go with better meat, it isn't any more expensive to source safer stuff.

Back