Pink Slime

Len Dennis

TVWBB Diamond Member
Finally, you're going to know which products have pink slime in them.

I can only hope we in Canada get the same labeling requirements. I doubt it will happen any time soon.

Thank you Jaime Oliver.

no, the p.s. isn't new to most people (and some who don't care either way).

The point was now they have to label it as such.

What is objectionable about lean finely textured beef other than the nasty name that some folks have given it? Do you object to trimmings in your ground beef? Seems to me that some folks were looking for a news story and created one. Personally, I'm upset with Diane Sawyer .

I have no objections to processed beef trimmings.

I object to it being added to a product and being kept secret.

If I buy "hamburger" meat, there is an expectation of a certain product. Adding a filler and not disclosing it, is disingenuous.

I assume pink slime is cheaper than real ground beef. It's inclusion, without labeling it, is also economic fraud.

The labeling is voluntary not mandatory, which is BS.

Bob

If the thought of lean finely textured meat (aka pink slime) upsets your innards, just watch a few episodes of Bizarre Foods and see what folks in other countries eat.
I'd choose a big old grilled PS burger with ketchup, mustard, onions, and pickles any day over most of what I see.
icon_smile.gif

Not all folks can afford to buy and grind their own beef, or would if they could.
But why waste this scrap meat?
I do agree with letting the consumer know if it is added, so they can decide for themselves whether to purchase the product or not.

Bob, watch the second vid with Oliver and the school kids and the making of nuggets.

<span class="flash-video"><object codebase="http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=8,0,0,0"
classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000"
height="315"
width="560"
><param name="wmode"
value="transparent"
></param><param name="allowScriptAccess"
value="never"
></param><param value="http://www.youtube.com/v/S9B7im8aQjo?version=3&hl=en_US"
name="movie"
/><param value="true"
/><param value="always"
/><embed type="application/x-shockwave-flash"
pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer"
wmode="transparent"
allowScriptAccess="never"
height="315"
width="560"
src="http://www.youtube.com/v/S9B7im8aQjo?version=3&hl=en_US"
/></object></span>

I wouldn't exactly call those "trimmings" suitable for a <STRIKE>cat</STRIKE> dog, let alone my child.

Not me. Can't vouch for my son. Daughter is vegetarian.

I was always aware of the horror stories about what goes into those things but as I had never seen it, I figured it couldn't be that bad.

Maybe searching for stuff online isn't the best thing in the world to do.

Can't unring the bell, can only try to do/eat better.

I've read the stories about "pink slime", and I wonder how this is presented. Should we not eat it, because it looks gross? Or that the process used to make it is yucky? For me that is a bit to stupid to be taken seriously.

But then again- I can not go into a shop and buy a couple of pounds of this stuff. Why not? For me, a bell rings.. Quite loud.
I have washed sheep intestines so I can make sausages, I have put my fingers inside a bird to remove the intestines, I have handled warm, stinky intestines of moose, I have stirred buckets of several liters of pigs blood mixed with flour to make food.
The gory part of the food we eat is something I have been a part of. No problem. Sometimes I just need a small pause before I want to eat the animal
icon_smile.gif

I'm not saying that I will not eat Pink slime because it is yucky in any way. But why is it not sold on its own?

There must be a reason for this. Noone has told me why, and before I know why, I'm not buying.

I'll take my beef sans ammonia, thankyouverymuch.
icon_smile.gif

I don't mind the concept. Please, by all means, use the whole animal. Thats great But don't give me the chemicals without clearly listing them.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JimH:
You have been eating it for years without knowing it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Exactly. And now we know we're eating it.

I think that's the whole point. We can now make an informed decision as to whether we eat bones and cartilage or not.

i think there is still waaaaaaay to much stuff in what we eat that we still don't know about. this pink slime just doesn't bother me. its really come from mass production and the needs that this process presented. so if you don't want it then don't buy massed produced food.

I had a chuckle as I really knew/suspected it was in anything I didn't watch getting prepped or asked the butcher specfically "whats in it". If I didn't ask/check I didn't care and expected it.

What I like is the labeling requirement frankly. I also have some reservations. Not an issue using filler if it has a real/genuine purpose. Processed filler with crap in it or processing that makes it questionable - I'd rather not participate given the choice.

Hot dogs? Sure - but I'm picky about what I buy. And, yep I love scrapple and head cheese. The thing is if the filler/scraps are treated in some untoward way I'd like to know.

So pasteurized processed filler from large conglomerate with additives, stabilizers blah, blah, blah. Probably not a fan and want to know it's there.

I might want to pick someone that's using fillers that aren't messed with.

BTW - there's another story afoot AFA shell fish flavor in what you get at even fine restaurants.

The crab pickers in Chesepeake area and other areas as well. They don't waste much. The take the shells, castoff, and make a fine grind. That material is also sold and mixed in fish cakes, crab cakes other applications. There's nothing wrong with that IMHO. It's much like what I do with shells from shrimp, crab. I.E. you grind it up, make stock, etc.

Now if you don't know it's there - maybe you would want to. I would like to buy some myself so I wouldn't have to make it. As long as it wasn't messed with, etc.

So all I'm saying is fillers aren't necessarily bad. They have a place in all cooking. I just want to know if they are there and I would also like to know if they have been overly processed in a way that I would find questionable.

Jamie Oliver was going for the gross out factor by grinding chicken bones, skin etc.
From what I can find, finely textured beef is made from fat and meat only.

As far as the ammonia scare, please read this.
It's added to a lot of stuff that we eat, including cheese, bread, etc.

As I stated before, I like to know what I'm eating, and want food labels to reflect all the contents so I can decide for myself.
But I also think this "pink slime" thing has gotten blown out of proportion by the media, including social media.

Now excuse me while I go scramble some chicken embryos for breakfast.
icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bob Correll:

Now excuse me while I go scramble some chicken embryos for breakfast.
icon_smile.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If we start to think too much about what we eat, we'd all starve.

I always figured the hamburger in a tube, and the vac-sealed hamburger ya get at Target or Aldi's was that.
Now freshly ground beef from a SM that has a butcher counter and it's wrapped in cellophane than no.
Or am I missing something?

Tim

As far as the ammonia goes it gas from the ammonia it's was approved for use in food about 38 years ago.

As I have mentioned before- this is a hype, and it works, because people are mainly detached from what they really eat.Most people rate the ingredients if they are "yummy" or "jucky". Big mistake, and far too simple.
None the less- why it is impossible to buy pink slime by the pound in a store, as a consumer, it the taste is so great?

From one of the other posts- if hen embrios were only available for the industry, I would not by them, either.

Back