Pimp My Smoker Wheel Mod

Michael Reimer

Wanted wheels on my new WSM so here goes:

1. Went to Lowe's and purchased some 3 inch castors with locks.

2. Took off all three aluminum legs from my WSM.

3. Marked and drilled 5/16 holes in each of the legs at the bottom bend.

4. Put it all back together. (upgraded the bolts to stainless hex cap screws)

5. Took my WSM and put it on the floor in the garage with room around each side to work.

6. Got an old cardboard box and cut it open flat and placed it under the WSM.

7. Placed the WNS on top of the cardboard so I can template the leg holes.

8. Used a sharpie and marked each hole on the cardboard.

9. From there I placed the castor base on the cardboard and make sure each dot was in the center of the castor.

10. Traced all three castors with a sharpie. Be sure to do mounting holes for castors.

11. Uses a straight edge and connect all three castors with lines that were parallel.

12 Took template to my buddies CNS and had it cut out of 1/4 inch aluminum. Put billets in each leg just for looks.

13. CNC drilled all mounting holed and even counter sunk the hole that would go to each leg of the WSM.

14. Once done looked up a local powder coater and had it coated gloss black. ($15.00)

15. Used stainless hardware for all bolts. Used three cap nuts for each of the legs and some Lock-Tite.

15. Very steady and rolls and locks like factory.

image-1_zps3254ce2d.jpeg

image-2_zpsd08f97ca.jpeg

image-10_zpse8a8df76.jpeg

image-13_zpsd05bc96f.jpeg

image-5_zps2b3960fb.jpeg

Holy crap! I've seen a lot of wheel/caster mods, but you sir have taken it to a new level. That's top notch.

That looks fantastic. I'm not an engineer or physics expert...so can you explain why the stand is necessary vs just installing castors into the legs that the smoker comes with? I know I've seen folks do that...is it unstable?

That looks fantastic. I'm not an engineer or physics expert...so can you explain why the stand is necessary vs just installing castors into the legs that the smoker comes with? I know I've seen folks do that...is it unstable?

I bought 3 inch casters for my new 22 1/2 inch WSM yesterday at Lowe's. I plant to drill a hole in the bottom of each leg and insert the stud and bolt them on. I have no reason to think it will be unstable, and I also wonder why these "platforms" are being built to mount the casters to then sit the smoker on ?????? I won't be moving mine much, but I'd love to know also "Why the Platforms" ???????

I like It!
I've seen a few posts on doing the three legged wheel mod on the older 18'5" WSM that went wrong, Aluminum is fairly soft and if those holes aren't truly plumb and dead balls center those casters are useless cause they will splay out.
Adding a brace like you're platform is a great idea cause you have a flat base for attachment.:cool:

Tim

I bought 3 inch casters for my new 22 1/2 inch WSM yesterday at Lowe's. I plant to drill a hole in the bottom of each leg and insert the stud and bolt them on. I have no reason to think it will be unstable, and I also wonder why these "platforms" are being built to mount the casters to then sit the smoker on ?????? I won't be moving mine much, but I'd love to know also "Why the Platforms" ???????

To make sure your wheels are drilled in dead bottom and not pigeon toed in the legs you can do the following. Take the smoker base and sit it on concrete garage floor or the like with legs down like it normally sits. Slightly move the smoker in a circle so the concrete will lightly scratch the leg bottoms. This will mark the true bottom edge of the legs. Mark a line in the center point of the scratch line and then drill a hole and it will keep them from being pigeon toed if drilled off center. Its worked for me on 2 smokers now. The bracing like the poster did makes it stronger and more sturdy and wont push the legs out if off center with some good weight

Michael Reimer
Awesom job on the base with the wheels. You should market them as I`m sure a few of us here would buy them, including me. Nicely done!!

That's a beautiful job. If I had a buddy with the CNC equipment... I would have been tempted to put a Weber logo along one side of the base, just because I could.

Thanks guys I appreciate the encouragement. I have a few more mods I am working on and will post when they are done. I enjoy tinkering and also enjoy using the WSM as well. LOL

Mike

Back