Pikes Peak Roast?

timothy

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
I went in on a whole cow from Arkansas with my Son and another friend and we have these roasts labeled as above.
Quick Google search says it's also called the heel of round, close to the shank.https://www.reference.com/world-view/pike-s-peak-terms-beef-cuts-prepared-dfe5d7e022c8198
Most recipes I've read say use a crock pot.
I'm thinking this would be a good for a low and slow cook on the WSM and braise it foiled with some liquid.
Thoughts?

The nomenclature that site uses for browning is odd, they are calling browning (searing) braising then roasting. If they don’t understand that braising is generally some sort of “wet” cookery, I’m not so sure I would pay them too much heed, low and slow on the WSM then into some delicious moist environment would be just the way I’d do it too!

I was taught in high school home-ec class that braising meant searing like when you brown/sear the cut before it goes into the crock pot or pressure cooker. Since then I have learned otherwise.
I have not seen a Pike's Peak roast in many years. My mother would get them because they were an economical way to feed four growing boys.
I concur the WSM would do well. Butcher paper rapped with some rendered rib eye trimmings might be the ticket.

I concur the WSM would do well. Butcher paper rapped with some rendered rib eye trimmings might be the ticket.
I just bought some BP for a brisket today. I'll save some of the soft fat trimmings for the Pike roast. Thanks!

I went in on a whole cow from Arkansas with my Son and another friend and we have these roasts labeled as above.
Quick Google search says it's also called the heel of round, close to the shank.https://www.reference.com/world-view/pike-s-peak-terms-beef-cuts-prepared-dfe5d7e022c8198
Most recipes I've read say use a crock pot.
I'm thinking this would be a good for a low and slow cook on the WSM and braise it foiled with some liquid.
Thoughts?
Would be nice if you could smoke it at the top of its namesake!

Back