PID/ouput settings for WSM 18.5 + Auber 6.5CFM

NickMV

TVWBB Fan
Looking for fan output settings for this specific combo. I know there's gotta be at least a handful of folks, if not more, that have this simple combo. I gave mine a first run around 5am and have noticed a "sin wave" of temperature fluctuations, so I'm trying to tune my settings. Using defaults at the moment, and have just now cut the max output to 50% to help keep overshoots from happening.

Also, does anyone have any tips on charcoal methods for long cooks with the fan? I used my standard Minion method, but am open to other ideas.

Well, sure enough, some new settings seems to have done the trick -- esp setting the max to 50% and going to pulse mode.

Temp seems more stable, though I think I'm discovering a new problem needing fixing -- noise levels on the probes. They're all showing up as red (3 ET732 probes). Would the white wire mod take care of this?

3RB5GPm.png

It's a 4.1 board, and the noise level is registering around 140-150 across all three of those ET732 probes. I need to get a reading on the TX-1001 probe from Thermoworks before proceeding, but I'm guessing the ground wire mod would be immensely helpful.

The HMv4.1 was the noisiest of heater meters, so yah, expect that. I posted a diagram in a thread about how to upgrade older boards showing how to add the RC filters to the HMv4.1 and HMv4.0, you have to cut a trace for each probe and insert a 100K resistor and then add a .1uf cap across each probe to ground. Pretty simple mod that should clean up a lot of your noise right quick. And Yah, with any HM prior to version 4.2 you have to use Pulse mode, because the feedback circuit required to run in Voltage mode wasn't added until HMv4.2. I detailed in that same thread how to upgrade the blower circuit(s) to V4.2 as well, which is a more intricate mod, if you are interested. The HM will run cleaner in Voltage mode, but you will get more bang for your mod by adding the RC filters.

Back