Picked Up Free Curbside 1st Gen Summit 650

John-NY

TVWBB Pro
I’m beside myself, and can’t believe this just happened. Was able to pick this up on the side of the road for free. The guy even helped me load it up.

It even came with a rotisserie motor and spit.
He said his and friends parents bought it new and then his friend gave it to him and now he’s moving so he’s just giving it away.

I’ll report back on any cookbox rust or holes once I check it out tomorrow, I picked it up in the dark and I won’t be able to get it out until my wife helps me, but I might also be dead after that happens anyways because she’s definitely gonna kill me

@Jon Tofte I may end up asking you a lot of questions 😅

IMG_0249.jpeg

Last edited:
Hey, you got it for free so don't take any **** for it. The cookbox is probably toast, but you could get lucky. If it isn't too bad then @Jon Tofte may be able to help. Keep us posted!

That's more than just compromised :D I think Jon's patch panels are in order here. Get out and treat as much of that rust as you can, apply the panels and maybe that beauty will be good for another decade

That's more than just compromised :D I think Jon's patch panels are in order here. Get out and treat as much of that rust as you can, apply the panels and maybe that beauty will be good for another decade
What would be your recommended rust treatment method?
I have a friend that works in a metal fabrication machine shop, so I might be able to have a panel made.

Well if he can use the front panel as a pattern and you can lay your hands on a nice sheet of stainless you can make a bullet proof grill out of it.

What would be your recommended rust treatment method?
I have a friend that works in a metal fabrication machine shop, so I might be able to have a panel made.
I have these that I can sell you for $20 each plus shipping. You would need three with the pre-cut holes for your 650 model.

IMG_2902.jpeg

I also have plain pieces for the other side that, if your is like mine was, probably also needs reinforced. These would be $15 each plus shipping:
IMG_2903.jpeg
No pressure. If you can get your own done that would be great. The hard thing is accurately cutting the holes for the burners and igniters.

As far as addressing the existing rust, I understand there is a high heat version of POR-15. That would be the ticket.

I have these that I can sell you for $20 each plus shipping. You would need three with the pre-cut holes for your 650 model.

No pressure. If you can get your own done that would be great. The hard thing is accurately cutting the holes for the burners and igniters.

As far as addressing the existing rust, I understand there is a high heat version of POR-15. That would be the ticket.
I'll keep this in mind, thanks!

Do you (or anyone) know if these hood bolts can be purchased, sourced, or 3rd-party replaced somehow?
It looks like I have one missing.

I found the nut it uses in the Schematic:
- Hex nut 1/4 x 20 inch Keps nut

But can't find the actual bolt itself.

1692733435437.png

I personally prefer using those original parts for the hood, but that’s only because I like the blended in look. Many others seem to prefer the contrast of stainless bolts.

IMG_2906.jpeg

The originals should be able to be re-used by cleaning and painting like in my picture that I believe you were referencing. This is after I repainted:
IMG_2907.jpeg

If you need more of these, they are identical to the ones used in earlier Genesis hoods. Let us know how many you are short. Someone probably can help with some leftovers.

Do you (or anyone) happen to know the thickness of the original cookbox panels, or what the thickness “should be” ideally if I get replica panels fab’d from a machine shop in 304 Stainless?

Is this a simple as using calipers to measure the current cookbox, or could that be misleading due to corrosion, etc.?

Back