Picked up a cheapo little aluminum boat.

Andy Kaminski

TVWBB All-Star
And I’m liking it.
The locals up here keep these with just under a 10hp motor and no trailer to avoid getting taxed.
Our Dungeness crab season starts here in a couple days.
I have always used a kayak to pull crab pots.
I just got some new larger crab pots that are a quite a bit heavier than my older ones, so other day I picked up a 12’ aluminum boat with a nice electric motor so I don’t have to risk tipping the kayak.
That would really suck with our fast cold water currents we have here.
Anyhow it’s a cheapo little boat that slides right into the back of my truck but I’m gonna keep it on the beach for the most part.
I even put some new folding wheels on it so I can walk it down to the water.
I’m actually enjoying pimping it out 👍.
Might pickup a small gas motor for it to be safer for summer salmon.
Our bay just had a bumper crop of jumbo prawns (spot shrimp) so I hope that the crab harvest will be good too.

Attachments

• IMG_1148.jpeg
    IMG_1148.jpeg
    82 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_1149.png
    IMG_1149.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 19
  • IMG_1137.png
    IMG_1137.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 20
  • IMG_4995.jpeg
    IMG_4995.jpeg
    249.3 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_4994.jpeg
    IMG_4994.jpeg
    260.2 KB · Views: 21
Congrats Andy! I picked up a boat about this time last year. It’s > 50 years old, but it’s solid as steel. That is…except the motor. It hadn’t blown but it was a may blow, so I tore it down and sent it off to the machine shop. I got it, I just haven’t had the time to button it back up. If you need partner out on the Bay, let me know. But we will want to be off the bay by 1PM, because it can become very challenging in a boat that size when the wind picks up

Oh I do know about that afternoon delta wind.
It’s almost like you could set your watch to it.

I keep a boat I use for salmon and sturgeon garaged in California (but I’m hardly ever there anymore ) and now keep this cute little one up here in Washington.
These tiny boats are nice because you can launch ‘em just about anywhere.

I would gladly fish or crab with you if you are ever up in this area.

Would love to find myself a nice little boat just to find time on our local Pierce Lake again. I sold my last boat. Larger than my first 2. Deeper/wider, heavier. Electronics front and back, front mount foot control motor, electric start tiller steer, and so on. Was great when my one friend was still alive and my other was still living here. Was just too unwieldly for me alone and overkill. When I was going up to the Madison WI chain it was good.
Now, I just want to find a nice 12' simple to use that can take my little 6hp Johnson I have in the basement. Get me around, relax on the water and load up quick and easy.
But seems every one I find is outta WI and they've got different titling and licensing laws re boats and trailers. And trying to recert one for Illinausea is a farce. So I've not been fishing for a few years now other than walking along the Kishwaukee with my grandson and tossing a spinner in here and there

I totally hear you about going out on a larger boat alone.
Ever since my California fishing buddy moved my boats gets been getting more dust that’s water.
By the time you load it, hitch it, commute in traffic, launch it and then clean it when you return it can be more hassle that it’s worth.
Not quite as bad as taking out a bad guest but it’s close.

I had 2 very good friends I spent a lot of time on the water with. One came here from the UK. But ended up being forced to move back tanks to our dumb immigration policies. Sadly the other passed away at his own hand. And it would be so weird. Because I'd have a day I'd be on the water and have a great day or find a great spot, and start dialing him to tell him we have to try it out and realize there was no calling.
One day I'll find a little yacht and get back on the lake

Back