Picanha - Sous Vide

Rich G

TVWBB Honor Circle
Had a bunch of stuff going on around dinner time this evening, so I made my life easier by going with a sous vide cook. Busy day, so I didn't get any prep pics, but I had a Picanha that I ordered from Wild Fork Foods, and I cut it into three steaks. If you cut your Picanha into steaks, it's important to cut them WITH the grain......that way, when you slice the steaks, you can cut them against the grain for max tenderness. :) I bagged them with no seasoning, and cooked them at 131F for about 2 hours. I preheated the Genesis Platinum on full blast for about 20 minutes with a couple of grill grates on board. Took the steaks out of the bag, dried them thoroughly, seasoned with Dizzy Pig Raising the steaks, then seared 2 minutes on each "flat" side, and a minute on the FAT side (there's a nice fat cap on a good picanha.....) Got some good grill marks:

1644466429792.jpeg

More importantly, the picanha was cooked perfectly to my preferred level of done.... :)

1644466472364.jpeg

Tender as all get out, beefy, juicy, and any other superlative you can think of that goes with a great steak. I really do love this cut! Wild Fork did not let me down.....quality cow! The air fryer broccoli was tasty, and our carb was some berries. :)

Livin' good today!

R

If you cut your Picanha into steaks, it's important to cut them WITH the grain
You now have me questioning ever culinary decision I have ever made. I know this but did I cut my last two Picanhas correctly or not. I need to make sure I can do this correctly, I need to get another Picanha asap!!!

Oh, your whole plate looks amazing, with that steak as the centerpiece!

It's counter to the against the grain mantra that we always preach, but you need to cut with the grain when portioning so that you can cut against the grain when serving! ......yeah, if I were you, I'd get another one so you can be sure! ;)

R

It's counter to the against the grain mantra that we always preach, but you need to cut with the grain when portioning so that you can cut against the grain when serving! ......yeah, if I were you, I'd get another one so you can be sure! ;)

R
I made my offer of repentance to the bbq gods tonight. I totally cut the two Picanhas prior to this one wrong. 48 hour salt brine, reverse sear... amazing!
IMG_20220220_180246719.jpg

IMG_20220220_181504990.jpg

Back