Picanha….. kinda sorta maybe

russ olin

TVWBB Platinum Member
Got this cut of rump roast from my sister. They buy 4H beef & end up with cuts such as this. Which we never buy. I thought it looked a lot like a Picanha from Weins Wagu. I have never ate this cut of meat before or tried fixing it. Really didn't know what it was & didn't pay attention to it. anyway I thought I would treat this rump roast like a Picanha.
AtneWUe.jpg

dfyMwSZ.jpg

dfyMwSZ.jpg

dr79JjN.jpg

1aqLxnF.jpg

EN8iXTo.jpg

Really don't know if this was a real cut of Picanha or not. Probably just a cut of a rump roast. flavor was guud. i would give it a B-B+. I will know more when I do the smaller cut of it later in the week. Also Snake River sells a whole cut of it, will try it when I put in my next order. Suppose to be really good when you get the right cut.
Well it was fun anyway.
Thanks for looking
Excuse the double picture couldn't get it to go off.

Last edited:
Looks good, Russ. When I first looked at this post, the "after" pictures were missing! :) I'm planning on a picanha for my steak club meeting in March.....looking forward to it!

Rich

Man, that looks delicious Russ. Excellent cook and post. Love that plate shot too. Brad did a Picanha cook last week and it prompted me to see what I could find. Didn't have much luck. I was looking for a whole sirloin cap roast that I could slice into chunks to my likeness. One place the butcher had sliced a pretty nice looking cap into slices around 3/8" thick. I passed. The other place the butcher had removed the fat cap. I think I'm going with SRF for a cook next weekend or next week.

Man, that looks delicious Russ. Excellent cook and post. Love that plate shot too. Brad did a Picanha cook last week and it prompted me to see what I could find. Didn't have much luck. I was looking for a whole sirloin cap roast that I could slice into chunks to my likeness. One place the butcher had sliced a pretty nice looking cap into slices around 3/8" thick. I passed. The other place the butcher had removed the fat cap. I think I'm going with SRF for a cook next weekend or next week.
Cliff, Thanks for the kind words. I hope that you do a Snake River Farms Picanha. I believe that they are Wagu after all. Should be one juicy nice chunk of meat. Anxious to see how you fix it. I'm going to spin that little chunk I got on the Weber spinner. That's they way a lot of the professionals seem to do it. Or they cut it into thin steaks & also they cook the whole chunk as I did. Good luck.

Well you got it right again as always. Barb and I will sometimes find something in one of our freezers that we don't have on the freezer list. That becomes the mystery meat and try to find something to do with it. We win some and lose some, but it's fun.
Good looking cook whatever it was.

Back