Philly Cheesesteak Stromboli

jeffsipes

TVWBB Member
I read an article on using the WSM to bake or make pizza so I thought I would give it a try and make calzones and stromboni.

I made pizza dough and while it was rising I prepped the peppers, onions and steak for the cheesesteak. I hammered down some thin cut ribeyes and soaked them in a marinade of pineapple-habanero jelly (Texas Pepper Jelly), worcestershire sauce and soy sauce. I seared them on the Smokey Joe while the dough was rising.

Pizza3.jpg

I set up the WSM as an oven by putting the charcoal rack directly on top of the lower grill rack. I put the grates 90 degrees to each other so the lump charcoal wouldn't fall through the grate.

Pizza1.jpg

I got the chimney going and dumped it on top of some oak lump along with the leftover charcoal that was in the Smokey Joe. I set the pizza stone on top of a rib rack so it would be up in the dome and put a heat shield under the stone to help circulate the heat.

Pizza4.jpg

I sliced up the ribeye, and layered it heavily with sauteed bell peppers and a purple onion. I rolled the pizza dough up around the cheesesteak to make Stromboli. It's a cheesesteak so you have to use cheese whiz.

Pizza5.jpg

I 'baked' the stromboli in the WSM at 500 or so degrees for about thirty minutes. I stuck my temp probe into an onion and put it under the stone to try and get some idea of the temp. It ran between 490 and 520. I left the bottom vents open all the way for the first part of the cook, I wanted the WSM up to temperature quickly. I shut the bottom vents down halfway after a while and the temp settled out at 515 or so. It started to drop a little toward the end of the cook. I opened the door a bit and the temp jumped right back up. With more charcoal in the ring and the door cracked open, I bet you could run it up to 600 or so with no issues.

Here's the finished product. I made a calzone too but didn't take any pictures:

Pizza6.jpg

Have a great weekend.

Congratulations!!! This is one of the first original cooking ideas that I have seen for the WSM.

That looks great.

Nice work showing the WSM has some versatility. I think a lot of people under-estimate all that it can do.

I love the creative setup.

Wow, amazing use of your WSM! I've got the TPJ folks on speed dial, we go through a ton of pineapple/hab and the berry medley jalapeno has replaced smuckers for everything. Love that stuff!

Fantastic! Great pics! Thanks for sharing the details of your recipe and the WSM setup. Very, very helpful for us newbies. I have definitely added this recipe for the near future. I was trying to decide whether to do this on my WSM or my Genesis grill, but I think that because of the flexibility in the recipe and the possibilities for individual strombolis, I'll try to do the complete recipe on both units and get a good comparison of the two. I've done lots of pizza, quesadillas and other "baked/grilled" stuff, so this is a natural. Thanks again and happy eating, Rich

Back