Perplexed over correct size WSM

David

TVWBB Pro
I ordered a 22.5 from Home Depot that was delivered to my house. Having never seen on before I was a little surprised at the size. Now after reading a bunch I'm thinking of taking it back and getting the 18, but don't want to be surprised when it is too small.

So, usually just wife and I and maybe 2 kids or company for dinner. Can't see ever doing one of those 20lb monsters pieces. I love ribs, chicken, and maybe do small briskets, along with fish etc, and turkey breasts.

I already have a Webber Gen, a charbroil charcoal grill and a Webber Q. I also like to do gas grilling so the WSM is more than likely a 2-4 a month cook.

How much more charcoal does the 22 burn over the 18 and can one use less charcoal in the 22 to get the same heat for the short cooks, ie 3-4 hour ribs?

I haven't used the 22.5 yet as I am waiting for a part to be replaced by webber so I can take it back or go as is.

Advice.

I am new to the 22 WSM as well but I have read several posts on this matter. Some like to get/make a smaller charcoal ring for shorter cooks and some go ahead and fill up the 22 and then just close all the vents when the cook is done and reuse the leftover charcoal the next time. I am going to do a short cook later today and will probably fill up the ring and just snuff it out when I am done. I think either method will work.

I was on the fence as well when it came to what size to get. If you think about it the 22.5 has a relatively small footprint compared to an off-set. You can shut down the WSM and save the charcoal for next time.
With the 22.5 you can easily do a whole packer brisket, have plenty or room for spares and split chickens.
You already have the 22.5 at your place and it is always nice to have the extra room when you need it!! Just sayin........

David, I cooked over three years on an 18.5" wsm for a household of ten plus two to four more, so yes, I think you might be happier with the classic 18.5" wsm.

The big bullet is usually better for my needs, but it's more to clean, heavier, and yes, it uses a good bit more charcoal. Besides, slabs of ribs cut in half to better fit the classic size wsm taste just as good as ribs cooked whole. Oh, and as far as my wife is concerned, the big 22.5" cooker is BANNED from going with us on trips. That's one reason she doesn't want me to sell my 18.5", and I'm afraid that once I make a mini wsm out of my Smokey Joe, the 18.5" won't be going on any trips, either.

If you think you might be doing more entertaining in the future once your bbq gets famous, then that's a whole different story, altogether. So either way, both sizes are great cookers. I will point out though, that Weber thought the classic 18.5" size to be adequate for what, over 25 years or so? And read a few posts and you'll be surprised at how many folks talk like they've never even cooked on both 18.5" grates at the same time.

Originally posted by Dave Russell:
David, I cooked over three years on an 18.5" wsm for a household of ten plus two to four more, so yes, I think you might be happier with the classic 18.5" wsm.

The big bullet is usually better for my needs, but it's more to clean, heavier, and yes, it uses a good bit more charcoal. Besides, slabs of ribs cut in half to better fit the classic size wsm taste just as good as ribs cooked whole. Oh, and as far as my wife is concerned, the big 22.5" cooker is BANNED from going with us on trips. That's one reason she doesn't want me to sell my 18.5", and I'm afraid that once I make a mini wsm out of my Smokey Joe, the 18.5" won't be going on any trips, either.

If you think you might be doing more entertaining in the future once your bbq gets famous, then that's a whole different story, altogether. So either way, both sizes are great cookers. I will point out though, that Weber thought the classic 18.5" size to be adequate for what, over 25 years or so? And read a few posts and you'll be surprised at how many folks talk like they've never even cooked on both 18.5" grates at the same time.

After reading one of the tips about the comparison regarding how much meat one can put on just one shelf I think I am sold on the 18. Yes, cutting rib-racks in half or putting them on a rack or even bending them a touch into a circle gives one the ability to do 3-4 on one shelf.

I hope my 'que never gets famous beyond my family or a few close friends, as I can't afford to feed that many. Bad enough having a boat that attracts the unwanted.

Since I live in Florida, when a hurricane forces me to load up the garage with 4 grills, a boat, two kayaks, and patio furniture there's not much room so I'm thinking the less the better.

Scottie, you do a point, it is in place, however I can't use it until webber sends me a part. Should be using it now as I had the meat to cook today, but alas, I'm having to use my charcoal grill to do it, which is giving me more time to consider the alternative.

Marty, one of the things I've seen is that several have expressed problems shutting down the 22 to put out the fire. I only wish I could compare the two side by side, but no one in town carries them on display, not Hd or lowes.

Thanks all, I'll sleep on it.

One thing is for certain....this is a win win proposition no matter which size you choose
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Hi - I agonized over this decision. In the end, I returned the 22.5 I bought and got the 18.5 and am very happy I did. It's easy to transport the 18.5 and it holds plenty of meat for a small group. The large one is indeed awesome and there are great reasons for keeping it, but if small groups are the largest you'll be cooking for and if you need to move it from time to time, I think the 18 is the way to go.
The good thing is that you can't lose either way!

I get emails from people all the time asking this question. I always tell people the 22.5" is all about capacity, capacity, capacity. For most, the 18.5" is just right.

Regards,
Chris

The most important thing is that you are happy with your purchase!!

When are we gonna see some pics??
icon_biggrin.gif
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Originally posted by ScottE:
The most important thing is that you are happy with your purchase!!

When are we gonna see some pics??
icon_biggrin.gif
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Well, so far, not much to show but a 22 waiting for parts or returned for the 18, which I will have to order and lose another week. Just have to use one of my other grills in its place. Just ate ribs and chicken done on char-broil. Chicken was great, ribs weren't quite as tender as I would have liked, but great flavor. Hard to control the temp on the charbroil, but it usually ran 225 to 250 but keep having to add fuel and cooking indirect, the top was loaded. with chicken, corn, and large rib, all cooking for different times. But it came out well, cole slaw on the side.......

Originally posted by Chris Allingham:
I get emails from people all the time asking this question. I always tell people the 22.5" is all about capacity, capacity, capacity. For most, the 18.5" is just right.

Regards,
Chris

I think that's the key. I have a small crowd.....

I got an 18 1/2" WSM last year, used it a lot and love it. This year I bought a 22 1/2" WSM.
I like the extra grate size of the larger model.
I use an 18 1/2" charcoal ring in my 22 1/2" model. It uses more fuel then the 18 1/2" model, but it's not that bad.
Closing the vents on both models kills the fire, and I reuse the unspent fuel in the next cook.

If I had to choose just one, I would choose the 22 1/2" WSM.

You will be happy with witch ever model you choose.

Good luck,

Bob

"So, usually just wife and I and maybe 2 kids or company for dinner. Can't see ever doing one of those 20lb monsters pieces. I love ribs, chicken, and maybe do small briskets, along with fish etc, and turkey breasts.

I already have a Webber Gen, a charbroil charcoal grill and a Webber Q. I also like to do gas grilling so the WSM is more than likely a 2-4 a month cook."

David I realize you already made your decision. I have experience with both WSMs and a few other Weber products. Based on your needs an 18 is more than capable of taking care of your needs. The main annoyance I have with an 18 is with long items like full racks of ribs, briskets, or large fish filets (like salmon).

These shapes of food just don't fit good on an 18 without modifying by curling, rolling, cutting, or folding. if you don't mind "fitting" those foods to the 18 then you are good to go.

For me, the size of these foods fit more comfortably on a 22, yet as you discovered the 22 is too big to fire up for just a couple racks of ribs, a brisket, or a couple of large fish filets.

For these items that's when I go old school with a 22 Kettle and indirect heat on one side or wick/fuse of coals. You can acutally fit 3 levels of food on a kettle.

If one can afford it, I think a Stacker with a Kettle has many of the food bases covered for small to medium size cooks.

And for the smallish cooks there is always the Mini WSM

I haven't had an 18, but I have to recommend the 22 if you can swing the extra cost. I like full slabs so that was the deciding factor for me.

Besides the usual ribs and pork, I like to know I can fit a big turkey in the center and not worry about the heat on the very edges. The 22 is also great to fill up with wings. I think I got around 50 pieces on the top.

For me, started off with the 18wsm. Next went to the Smoke Joe (as travel grill) but have since used it for smoking small 3-4# roasts. Now, I am using a 22 kettle for larger stuff (slabs of ribs and brisket). Haven't found the need for building the mini (but have been intrigued reading about it for years now). Our family of four eats light, and for the last large party did 4 racks STL spares on the kettle. That being said, had to use the wsm this last weekend to HH a chicken roast just so it wouldn't feel unloved.

Hey David, hope you have found your way to the new site. Have you got your smoker yet? Either way, you won't go wrong but if you don't need the capacity, the 18.5 is a great little unit and that's not to say you can't move up at some point later if you feel the need.

I went for the 22 a year ago, and while I haven't ever used the full capacity, I am very satisfied. Some friends held a backyard cookout competition, and I was able to fit my 22 into my Mazda 3 (including coolers of meat!) and consequently had plenty of room for what I needed to smoke. While I have rarely seen buyer's remorse for getting the 22, I have seen many people say they wished they had gotten the bigger one.

As others have said, you will enjoy it either way. Best of luck.

Well, after waffling back and forth, decided to stay with the 22.5, though I think they need a 20, lol. Had some things that came up at home and had to delay things, but should be up and running within a week or so as these "things" get pushed out of the way. Kitchen remodeling took longer than expected along with another project that consumed some time...................so, hopefully will be firing up over the next few weeks, and already have plans for some "upgrading" of the unit......................ck

Back