Pernil with Sofrito, I wish you guys could smell this!

Michael Richards

TVWBB Emerald Member
Resent I Attended a required work training on Cultural Diversity and Work Place Inclusion. A work buddy of mine who is from Puerto Rico was the one teaching it. So when he got talking about food being extremely important to culture, I jokingly said, "like how Pernil is from the Dominican Republic and not Puerto Rico?" As cool as could he just said, "Pernil is Caribbean...we all embrace that dish and each family treasure their recipe." He had me, I had no response, I just wanted to get him into a banter, but he completely neutralized me.
At break we started talking about Pernil and how we each make it and how I knew mine was missing something that other had locally. He said I was missing a Sofrito. About a week later when I went to work I had a leftover from him waiting for me. It was Pernil and rice and pigeon peas. It was the best Pernil I have ever had and I could see and taste the Sofrito.
I asked him his Sofrito recipe, he was coy about that, you know it's just peepers oinion garlic herbs, you can do it however you like. I was ok I see this is were the family secrets come in and the advice stop. So after doing some research, I made first attempt of Sofrito last night. Below is everything chucked up and then half of it mixed up. My youngest daughter can tell what I am cooking by the ingredients and the smells n a heartbeat, she was like what is that dad, what are you prepping. I was enjoying leaving her hanging. Everyone including me kept saying how good it smelt, it really did, then when I mixed with the normal Pernil marinade, oh my goodness I wish you guys could smell.
IMG_20240427_215031.jpg

IMG_20240427_215038.jpg

I made my normal Pernil mixture heavy of oinion and garlic worked it into the pork shoulder, then added 1/3 cup of my Sofrito. It smelled so good.
IMG_20240427_224143.jpg

This morning after the Arsenal win, in a wired North London Derby, this guy went on the grill. Here is at the hour mark when getting ready to foil it.
IMG_20240428_123214.jpg

Here is where we are right now at 4.5 hours in. Reading 180 internally. I am going to let it go to 190, then put it right on the grate until in hits 201/prob tender zone.
IMG_20240428_155200.jpg

Michael, that has made me drool and I’m doing these for dinner tonight…
IMG_1028.jpeg
This is an initial “thanks for helping” feed for my nephew who is going to help (well, probably he will do the “work”) on the SS Genesis frame with laser engraved tank scale and possible control panel. End caps I’ll go over for sandblasting maybe tonight!
I have not made a Pernil in probably ten years, last one was before my mom died, she LOVED it!

Attachments

• IMG_1029.jpeg
    IMG_1029.jpeg
    157.8 KB · Views: 1
My wife is from Puerto Rico and makes great sofrito. Her sisters make great pernil. I will have to try to make it some day.

I made Sofrito back in Oct. '06 and the only note I wrote on the recipe is "Extra is in the freezer - Very Good" No idea what we did with it.

Back