Pernil - Puerto Rican Pulled Pork

Lew Newby

R.I.P. 1/26/2024
This is the 4th time I’ve done Pernil. I marinate it for at least 30 hours. I have smoked it low and slow and it works. Today I did it hot and fast on the EX4. 300 degrees F and that works great. I wrapped it at 165 and it was reading 198 when it was probe tender. The cook took just a little over 6 hours. That's 45 minutes per pound cook time. Since overnight cooks are not a good idea for me any more this old fart likes that. The Smokefire is extending my BBQ years. It got a long rest in the cooler. This was an 8 lb. Pork Shoulder Picnic and I used B&B Championship Blend pellets. Moist, tender, and delicious. I pulled it with my bare hands and it fell apart. The fat was all rendered down. Pulled Pork is my wife’s favorite Q and she gobbled it down. Happy wife etc..
😁
2-2-22 Pernil on EX4.jpg2-2-22 Pernil Ready to Wrap.jpg2-2-22 Pernil Ready.jpg2-2-22 Pernil Pulled.jpg

We went to PR last August for my mother-in-law's 95 birthday and one of my siter-in-laws made some (using her oven) and it was fantastic. It is funny that hardly anyone in her family is much into grilling. Unfortunately my mother-in-law just passed last week.

Lew, what's the recipe?
I adapted this from an oven recipe that had the meat covered for the first portion of the cook.
Pernil
Ingredient

• 1 (7-pound) bone in or boneless pork shoulder (I've used both a Picnic and a Boston Butt with equal success.)
  • ¼ cup vegetable or canola oil
  • 12 cloves garlic minced
  • ¼ cup fresh oregano leaves
  • 1 tablespoon dried oregano
  • 2 tablespoons Adobo seasoning the powdered canned kind
  • 1 tablespoon paprika
  • 1 teaspoon kosher salt plus more for seasoning at the end
  • ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper plus more for seasoning at the end
  • Optional: Juice of 2 lemons and 1 orange
  • Mix all ingredients together. Grind this paste together to force the seasonings into the garlic. (I Puree in a food processor or blender)
BBQ Rub
Ingredients
  • 3 Tbs. Garlic Powder
  • 1/2 tsp. black pepper
  • 1 tablespoon paprika
  • 2 tbs. Adobo Seasoning
  • 2 + tbs. dried Oregano
  • 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
This rub can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to two weeks.

Directions:
  • Score the fat on the pork shoulder in a criss-cross hatch fashion. Use a knife to make about 20 slits, about 1 inch deep, all over the meat.
  • Combine the oil, garlic, fresh and dried oregano, Adobo, paprika, salt and pepper. Rub the mixture all over the meat, working it all over the surface and into the slits. Cover the pork with foil, Saran Wrap, or put in a Ziplock bag and refrigerate 24-48 hours.
Preheat the smoker to anywhere between 225 and 300. Pernil can be smoked the same way you smoke southern pulled pork so pick your temp. I've done low and slow and hot and fast. Both work great. Take the Pernil from the refrigerator to the smoker. Smoking at 225 will take approximately 2 hours/pound and smoking at 300 will take approximately 45 minutes/pound. When the internal temperature reaches 165, wrap in heavy duty aluminum foil and cook until a probe slides very easily into the meat. Internal temperature between 190 and 205. Remove from the smoker, wrap in another layer of foil and rest the meat for 1 to 5 hours in a cooler with the meat wrapped in a towel. Pull the pork and serve.

Lew, would this work?

Joan's Adobo Spice Blend (salt free)

1 TB. dried minced garlic
1 TB. dried minced onion
1 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
1 tsp. ground cumin
1/2 tsp. oregano
1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp. dried cilantro
Source: Joan (aka Cookieee)

Lew, would this work?

Joan's Adobo Spice Blend (salt free)