Performer's Maiden Voyage!!!

Luke P

TVWBB All-Star
Well, this has been a long time coming. I've been using gas using a smoker box for good smoke. Finally got my dark blue performer, made some level ground (i live on a hill basically) and fired up the charcoal! Here's my first cook. This is a bit long, but I wanted to capture the whole thing. Thanks for looking.

Italian sausage with onion and peppers.
image_zps0f8a433e.jpg

Potato wedges seasoned with Season All. Should have used more or maybe herbs like sage.
image_zpsc332a8a2.jpg

Finally firing up the performer. Kingsford with 4-5 chunks of apple in there. Gas assist starter kicked on in a second, and we were on our way! Still need to get a chimney starter.
image_zpsb65deefd.jpg

Got the peppers and onions soft and sweet! All marinating in apple cider vinegar, beer and a little sugar.
image_zps89d068af.jpg

Then potatos to smoke indirect for about 1-1.5 hours.
image_zps72f78416.jpg

Did sausages indirect for about an hour. Could have gone longer but everyone was getting impatient for good eats. Seared them right over coals. Then let them marinate in the peppers.
image_zpsf9ae025d.jpg

And finally the plated shot! Was actually surprised that it got a nice smoke ring! My first smoke ring actually. Sausage was great with a crisp pop. Potatos could have been better. I'll have to keep working on them.
image_zps5f80bd9d.jpg

Luke congrats on the new toy! Looks like you broke it in right/delicious. We're looking forward to many more cooks.

Great looking maiden voyage. Looks like you will be making a lot of people happy in the coming days. Good job

I don't even remember when my performer was that clean. Great lookin meal too !
I wouldn't even worry about getting a chimney starter if you continue using the charcoal holders. After only using chimney starter and just dumping the coals against the side of the bowl, my porcelain chipped and cracked and had to be replaced under warranty by Weber. Since I got the replacement, I've only used the holders, and the propane starter. No more dumping coals against the side. My chimney starter only gets used to light coals for my WSM's.

Congratulations on the performer and first cook. The performer was the first charcoal grill that I purchased and I love it! I don't use a chimney starter with my performer, you fired it up just the way I have over a 100 times. Excellent cook and welcome to the forum.

Congrats my friend....
I like the pic of a crowded grill. Brats look delicious!!!

Nice looking meal Luke, Luke on the potato's cut the potato's in chunks or wedges, parboil them for 5 minutes then finish them on the grill, nice crispy outside and fluffy inside, good luck.

Back