Performer Bowl Issues

Shawn G

Ok guys and gals, I need your opinions. I splurged on a Crimson Performer Deluxe last month. The only way I could get one even remotely close to me was Home Depots ship to store option. The box looked a little rough but inside looked like it had never been touched. I proceeded to assemble.

Once I started with the actual kettle assembly I realized that the inside of the bowl was riddled with bubbles under the porcelain. Also the gas assist cover wouldn’t stay attached because it only had one of the plastic knobs to clip into.

I called Weber and there customer service was really good. Sent them a few pics and no questions asked new parts are on there way. Awesome.

So today I get my new parts. Gas cover issue is fixed. The bowl is way better than the first but there is still one good size bubble. It almost looks like a drip running down from where the gas burner hole is.

So my question is this. Am I being to fussy? Are all the newer kettles like this? My older kettle still cleans up beautifully and maybe I shouldn’t be comparing the two. My biggest fear is the bubble opening up over time and having a rusty mess in my future. Should I cross my fingers and live with it or try contacting Weber again to see what’s up?

Attachments

• 9CC16087-EC58-4DD7-8C2B-51F5A8A5F0A0.jpeg
    9CC16087-EC58-4DD7-8C2B-51F5A8A5F0A0.jpeg
    65.6 KB · Views: 17
  • 0F5836D0-DDC3-47E8-B0B0-8D917C7F6F81.jpeg
    0F5836D0-DDC3-47E8-B0B0-8D917C7F6F81.jpeg
    72 KB · Views: 17
  • 4B035CDF-83CE-445F-8368-A2014156DC5F.jpeg
    4B035CDF-83CE-445F-8368-A2014156DC5F.jpeg
    87.4 KB · Views: 16
  • F44784D6-4CC1-4E47-8024-EDFF551443F3.jpeg
    F44784D6-4CC1-4E47-8024-EDFF551443F3.jpeg
    108 KB · Views: 17
I just watched a youtube video and a guy had similar with his kamado and made contact with Weber and they were sending him a new bowl.
It was labelled as some sort of paint defect, but anyways I believe you could get a new bowl out of it and they wont even want you to send the old one back. If you want to see the video it is found by searching E6 review I believe.

Thanks. This is actually the replacement bowl. The original was much worse. I don’t quite understand how they are managing to ship them out this way. Weber usually has a better rep then most.

I thought the bowls were porcelain enameled or something like that. I don't know if there was any health concerns with what you have but in my eyes there would be a possibility of that for sure. The " paint " is supposed to stay put, I would still be in contact with weber on that for sure.
I could be wrong, someone else should chime in here too......I bet you are not the first.

Repeat your initial course, that is not right, the bowl may or may not be safe and useable but, you spent good money for a good product, you deserve to get what you paid for.
More pictures will probably be needed, that’s a QC issue and should not be your problem.

I wonder if this is more common in the Crimson Red. Maybe I should of stuck with the traditional black.

Weber knows they have an issue with the quality of the bowls on the kettles, you would think someone would inspect the replacement being sent out to make sure the replacement didn't have issues.

I wonder if this is more common in the Crimson Red. Maybe I should of stuck with the traditional black.
That is the tack to take, exactly. If this is a crimson issue let it fall by the wayside, or since that’s a premium color,it’s a real issue and you are right to make them own up to what they are offering.
Be courteous but, firm. You ARE the customer, they will figure out where the problem falls, and I have confidence that the company will ultimately address the issue if “We” the customers ring the bell. What they sent is certainly not an acceptable replacement. Be fair, the poor shlub on the phone likely has not one whit of power. They are kind of the porta potties of customer service, they just catch crap all day long.

I recently contacted Weber Customer Service regarding an Ash Bowl Removal problem on my Weber Performer Deluxe(WPD) that I purchased at a Costa Rican Weber Authorized Dealership in January, 2020. My WPD was Registered with them, so, they sent me a Ash Bowl Kit at no cost that has resolved my problem in short order. Make sure to Register your WPD Warranty with them ASAP.

Your WPD Bowl has a ten(10) year guarantee if you are the original owner or the one that registered your grill with Weber.com. However, an Ash Bowl is only covered for two(2) years.

Last edited:
I sent them the pics of the replacement bowl this morning and am waiting to hear back from them. I figured I'd attach some pics of the first bowl here as well so you guys can get an idea of Weber's problems here.

Attachments

• unnamed (2).jpg
    unnamed (2).jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 10
  • unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 10
  • unnamed (1).jpg
    unnamed (1).jpg
    183.4 KB · Views: 10
  • unnamed (3).jpg
    unnamed (3).jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 10
  • unnamed (4).jpg
    unnamed (4).jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 10
It's not an issue limited to the Crimson bowl....just in general that happens. You got unlucky twice!

My crimson is about 4 years old and looks nice and smooth. Honestly though, you would be fine to cook on either of those. I would use one of your "old" bowls and save the new (second) one they send you. Just throw it up in the attic and swap it back on your grill 10 years from now after the warranty expires and you have a nice grill for years to come.

If I bought a new grill, like you did, I would not be happy with the defects you posted pictures of either.

It's not an issue limited to the Crimson bowl....just in general that happens. You got unlucky twice!

My crimson is about 4 years old and looks nice and smooth. Honestly though, you would be fine to cook on either of those. I would use one of your "old" bowls and save the new (second) one they send you. Just throw it up in the attic and swap it back on your grill 10 years from now after the warranty expires and you have a nice grill for years to come.

If I bought a new grill, like you did, I would not be happy with the defects you posted pictures of either.
The question that they won't answer, which is why I haven't used it yet in case I have to return it is what happens in a year from now or even 5 years from now if the bubble pops and I'm stuck with a rusted exposed metal bowl. I think it's a ten year warranty but I'm sure as it gets close to the 10 year mark they can find some reason to say I have neglected something and not warranty it.

So far the customer service has been pretty good with me and given quick responses but I am actually surprised no one has gotten back to me yet. Guess they get Friday's off.

Figured I should give an update. I was surprised to hear from Weber on a Sunday afternoon but that's what happened. I got an email late this afternoon and after several back and fourths I am pretty satisfied. They are positive that the second bowl is good and that it isn't a bubble it's an excess run of porcelain. Apparently this is completely safe to cook on and shouldn't cause any future issues. I have been assured that if at any time in the future it starts to cause issues or get larger or anything they will replace the bowl. This reassurance is what I was after, that and the paper trail of emails just in case something pops up close to year 10. Because of where it is located in the bowl it's not an aesthetics thing, I will be the only one who knows it's there.

Overall I'm pretty impressed with there customer service. Considering what's going on in the world today they were still pretty quick to respond.

Back