Pepper Stout Beef

Going to be doing this tomorrow. Still debating whether or not to use wood. Going to go with bunches of green onions (love em') instead of red, and red peppers instead of green, and changing from beer to broth. I'll see how she goes. I'm not crazy for chuck as pot roast, I'll see if I like it this way. I've never bought it before my wife always does, I was surprised to see it cost the same as brisket per pound.

Made this yesterday and it turned out awesome. Thanks Larry for the great recipe! Huge hit at my house. Leftovers are great in eggs.

Thanks again!

Any guestimates on how long it takes to get the chuck up to 165 on the grill ? I'm guessing 1.5 hours ? Thanks. Putting it on now...

Originally posted by Chris E:
Any guestimates on how long it takes to get the chuck up to 165 on the grill ? I'm guessing 1.5 hours ? Thanks. Putting it on now...

For some reason mine took about 2.5-3 hours to get to 165 on the smoker at 250 degrees. In the beginning the temps were flying up but then plateaud in the 150's.

I would set aside at least 6 hours for this. Don't rush it and it turns out awesome!

Thanks. I'm pushing 2 hrs now and I'm at 145. Wanted to be eating by the 2pm game. I'll give another 40 min and probably throw it in the oven and just cook it a little longer.

Came out great. I'll allow more time to smoke the chuck next time. I only used one jalapeno since my wife can't do spicy. There is definitely some jalapeno flavor and a tiny nip but definitely not hot. Guiness flavor is awseome.

I just made this dish on Sun for the 9'r game. The only changes for us (kids eating) i only used one Jalapeno and less pepper/salt. I will increase the salt next time. It was lengthy cook - meat on at about noon and foiled around 2:45 at exactly 160 (280 kettle temp).

My biggest issue using the kettle is putting on too much fuel. When i start and refuel I put a chimney full and the temp spikes to 450 (of course!!) so i have to close it all down and let temps reduce...have to try a little less fuel or maybe finish it off on the gasser...

Anyway, left in foil till about 5:30 then shredded and back on uncovered for another 25 min while we baked the rolls.

My wife is not a big BBQ fan
icon_frown.gif
and has not always been fully appreciative of my new hobby. However she gave this dish a definate two thumbs up. Even the kids enjoyed it.

A delicious dish Mr. Wolfe! One that i can't wait to share. Thank you very much!!

I did mine Saturday on the 22.5 OTG Kettle. I piled up the left over charcoal from previous cook on one side (about 1/3 chimney). Then I lit about 10 briquets in the chimney and dumped them on top of the unlit pile. I set the bottom vent open about 25% and the top vent open full. When the temp hit 250 in about 10 min I closed the top vent to 50% and that garage sale kettle chugged right along at around 260 for 2.5 hours.

Warning !! My wife HATED this dish since she doesn't like beer and the beef really picks up the stout flavor. I might try it with a little chianti next time.

But my son and I at until we were full and took it for lunch the next day. We loved it!!

There you go again Larry...scrolling through the grilling forum i stumbled a upon this and made it on Sunday...Simply wonderful. couldn"t find stout but used Guniess Draught instead (tell me if theres much of a difference I'm not a beer guy)

I even used a chuckeye roast I found in the freezer that was almost 2 years old and it still was wonderful1!! Great freezer cleanout recipe.

Anyways what a way to get over the I can't take any more turkey blues...

When I first made this dish my wife crinkled her nose because of the onions. We have been together for 20 years and she never would let me cook with onions, every dish I made, I would have to make an onion free one. Well I finally got beligerant and put my foot down! The smell of it cooking was enough to sway her. **** if I thought it was going to be that easy I would have made this years ago! Jim, I have to say this is one of the best dish's I've ever had. I made it today for Christmas eve by request (from my wife). Have a Merry Christmas Jim and if ever a boy deserved a toy from Santa, it's you.

Originally posted by Bill S.:
Going to be doing this tomorrow. Still debating whether or not to use wood. Going to go with bunches of green onions (love em') instead of red, and red peppers instead of green, and changing from beer to broth. I'll see how she goes. I'm not crazy for chuck as pot roast, I'll see if I like it this way. I've never bought it before my wife always does, I was surprised to see it cost the same as brisket per pound.

How did it turn out with the Broth in stead of the Beer? My wife is not a huge fan of the guiness. I can drink it all day.

Any one cooking this and finding the beer flavour to much should try it with a different beer. Instead of a stout beer try a honey brown or a wheat beer.

bob - i too found it a little strong. ok for me but my youngest wasn't too crazy about it. i'll try your suggestion of a lighter beer. i did do this recently without the beer - used a really good beef stock that i made - not really a pepper stout dish anymore but it still tasted really, really good. we served it with some coleslaw and my wife made some homemade dinner rolls that are out of this world! here are a couple of pics - didn't get the ones at the end showing the finished product - too busy getting it together and then eating...

modified pepper beef

Need advice on doing this recipe with venison roasts.

What internal temp should I add the roast to the liquid?

Do you think it will shred properly?

Someone inquired about Draught v Stout....Guinness Draught (pronounced draft)indicates that the beer was stored under pressure in a cask or keg (traditionally). Guinness has that draught bottle with the ball in it that is supposed to somehow replicate the effect of being in a keg. Also, I think the word "draught" is used pretty loosely. Stout on the other hand is the type of beer that Guinness is. There are many different brands of stout; Guinness is just one of them. Stout, is also really just a type of porter, generally speaking a "strong" porter.

In terms of an alternate beer, I would avoid using any of the "light" beers. I don't think they'd add any flavor, at least not any good flavor. Not sure what value they'd add other than simply being a liquid. I've used Negro Modelo with a lot of success and think that might go over better with those folks that don't like Guinness.

At the same time, if you try it with Miller High Life Light and like it, stick with it. Just doesnt' sound very good to me.

Originally posted by M Krulee:
bob - i too found it a little strong. ok for me but my youngest wasn't too crazy about it. i'll try your suggestion of a lighter beer. i did do this recently without the beer - used a really good beef stock that i made - not really a pepper stout dish anymore but it still tasted really, really good. we served it with some coleslaw and my wife made some homemade dinner rolls that are out of this world! ]

This is going to be my next cook! How did you make the stock that you used? My wife is not a beer drinker and I need to remove that from the recipe.

Mike - here's the
Beef Broth. It's kind of time consuming but not hard and if you do it on a day when you're goofing off around the house anyway it's not that bad. Browning (not charring) in the oven is the key - adds lots of flavor. it's really tasty. i might add that i like messing around in the kitchen anyway so this was actually a fun process for me.

side note - i saw a french onion soup recipe on this forum somewhere that looked great. I will use this broth for that as well (if i can find the soup again!)

enjoy.

Originally posted by dwayne e:
How much fat is left in the chuck roast using this method?.........do you kind of pull it on top of the veggie mix, weeding out the unsavory bits before mixing it up?...........I just bought a couple chuckies and I'm dying to try this out!!!

Harris Teeter has boneless Angus Chucks on sale and I'm cooking this right now. I find the leanest roast available and the fat renders out. I pull from the grill at the 155' range and foil with broth with fresh minced garlic and dried onion. Bake it foiled for 2 hrs. and it will be ready to slice. I bake some foiled red onions in the broth. Larry's way is best but my family likes it sliced with optional toppings.

Back