Pepper Stout Beef - Sorta

Mike Coffman

TVWBB Olympian
I have seen Mr. Lampe and several others post this cook and decided that it was time for me to
give it a shot. The ingredients:
DSC_7719.jpg

This roast was just a little less than 4.5 pounds. Prepared with kosher salt and fresh ground
black pepper and then put on the WSM with a mixture of apple and hickory.
DSC_7725.jpg

The roast took 4 hours to reach 165 internal, with a smoker temp sitting at 250. It was
then placed on the mixture of peppers, Worcestershire and BEEF STOCK. My wife told me that we
are going to have company over for dinner and they are definitely the no alcohol at all type.
So, will try it with the stout another time.
DSC_7728.jpg

Back onto the WSM with the water pan removed. Temperature holding at 350. Side note:
About 10 minutes after I put it on covered I was going over the recipe and noticed I forgot
to add the minced garlic. So took it off the smoker long enough to add the garlic.
Can’t be cooking it without the gaaaaalic!
icon_eek.gif

DSC_7730.jpg

Put some ABT’s, filled with a cream cheese mixture and covered with peppered bacon, onto the smoker.
DSC_7731.jpg

Pulled the ABT’s and checked the roast. Getting closer to pulling. I figure probably
another half an hour.
DSC_7734.jpg

Shredded and put back onto the smoker to reduce the liquid.
DSC_7738.jpg

Off the smoker and ready to be served.
DSC_7739.jpg

Plated with some provolone cheese on the sammie!
DSC_7741.jpg

So, other than substituting the beef stock for the stout beer I followed the recipe, minus
1 jalapeno, and I have got to say this is one of the best beef BBQ sammies I have ever had.
All the flavors just melded together and the jalapenos gave it just enough heat. Will be doing
this one again and again! Thanks L.W. for this super recipe and thank all of you who have posted
their pepper stout beef cooks for the inspiration.

Thanks for looking!

Nice catch on the Gaaaaaalic Mike!
Beef looks FANTASTIC!!
The beer is basically a liquid, there is no alcohol after the cook, it burns away... there is no beer favour either, that i can taste...

Sandwich and ABT's look great, Mike!! I normally use beef stock in LW's recipe. Not sure how it compares in taste to using the Guiness, but its some good stuff that's for sure.

Looks great Mike! I'm with Jim! The booze burns off ( which makes me wonder why we use it if we can't taste it?) alcohol abuse I suppose!

Great PSB. I'm gonna have to try the stock substitute. Put the Guinness in the chef instead.

Back