penzys spices?

Corey Elks

TVWBB All-Star
they just opened up a penzys spices by my house. I read lots of posts where you guys are using these. What are your favorits? thanks

Corey, they opened a Penzey's near me last fall. I was their first customer. I generally go for pure spices and herbs. From there you can go anywhere if you make your own combos as you need them; then the premade mixes won't take up valuable space in your spice cabinet and your spice turnover will be quicker and your spices will stay fresher.

That said, Penzey's has been great for making salt-free spice mixes, and that would be my second choice so you can salt your food as you wish and add more or less of the salt-free mix as your taste buds desire without oversalting your food.

Rita

Corey you will love this store. Make sure you get on their mailing list as they do send out coupons for free spices with each issue...(most of the time).

If you are making some chili try the Chili 9000. It is GOOD stuff!

Also try Northwoods and 33rd & Galena.

It is very convenient for me to be only 20 mins away from their main warehouse and shipping center. The "wall of spice" smells is wonderful and hits you when you open the door to enter the building!

You will surely be spending some money in that store! I've been slowly replenishing my spice cabinet with ALL Penzeys'. There hasn't been anything we have tried that we did not like!

Northwoods, 4/S seasoned salt & Adobo have to be my favorite right now. And of course their herbs and spices.

I never run out of:
<UL TYPE=SQUARE>BBQ3000
Galena Street
33rd & Galena (salt free)
Adobo (salt free)
Northwoods
Old World
Mural Of Flavour (salt free)
Arizona Dreaming (salt free)
Tuscan Sunset (salt free)[/list]

Penzey's seasonings are great, and their salt-free mixes are fantastic if you are trying to cut down on salt.

Make sure to get yourself some Fox Point seasoning too. About the only thing it doesn't taste good on is cold cereal.

All of the above.

There is a Fire version of Northwoods if you want to kick it up a notch or three.....

Another vote here for the bagged ancho chile powder. I use it wherever the recipe calls for (ugh!)
icon_rolleyes.gif
paprika.

I just ordered from Penzey's for the first time or month ago. Of the batch I got, I was most impressed with their Bay Leaves. As for pre-mixed stuff, I got their herbes de provence, Northwoods, and Old World. All three are good. My favorite of those three is Northwoods.

im really loving penzeys.... i am also new to them. I already love BBQ 3000 and Forward is great.... it is saltfree, which i like because i can add just a small amount of salt.

i am going to soon be ordering some Northwoods... Foxpoint.....and possible some Tellicherry Pepper.... i have heard that it is awesome pepper.

Corey,

I'm sure everyone on here loves the pre-mixed stuff, but I use Penzeys for all my high quantity whole spices which I use to mix Weber mixes from Weber's Big Book of Grilling. The only deviation for me is Kalustyan's whole black peppercorns. Otherwise, my cabinet is full of Penzey's bags of spices. Congrats on a local store!

Originally posted by Jerry P.:
Make sure to get yourself some Fox Point seasoning too. About the only thing it doesn't taste good on is cold cereal.

You evidently haven't tried it on Count Chocula. ;-)

Penzey's is a great resource to have nearby. I use their individual spices and their blends. Years back, I spent lots of time and a fair bit of money blending my own chili seasonings, and I honestly can't say I came up with anything much better than their chili powders. And as a previous post said, that wall of yummy aromas that hits you when you walk in will definitely put you in the cooking mood.

I've been ordering from Penzeys for awhile. They finally opened up a retail place 40 minutes from me. I was there the other night. I don't usually buy spice mixes, but everything they have is excellent quality. Even the black pepper tastes better. I do buy their Chili powder mix.

Another vote for Northwoods Fire. Take some chicken and marinade in some buttermilk with NF mixed in then cook using any method you'd like. That there is some good eats.

everything they have is excellent quality. Even the black pepper tastes better

So Penzey's spices are indeed fresher and more flavorful than say McCormick, however there is some disagreement whether they sell the freshest and most flavorful.

The story has to do with the father starting a small time spice business, the son (Bill) expanding it into a national chain, and another family member (possibly Bill's brother) eventually breaking off in nasty split. He goes off on his own to go back to being a small time spice merchant who can have better control over quality and freshness, something he felt he could only do without the constraints of the larger business.

With that said, are there any downsides to using Penzey's spices since, according to this other guy, they aren't the best they can be? IMO, no.

1) having a store locally means I can pick up any amount of any spice instantly
2) despite any freshness issues, their spices are still strong enough that most recipe quantities need to be adjusted down

I mention this story because for as great as Penzey's is as a resource, there's still people out there who put it down.

Back