Pecan Smoke

Robert C

Hey Guys,
Just started to smoke again and use my Weber Performer for High Heat Butts and usually works out well. Question: Is there a way to get more pecan smoke to the meat other than using an occasional pecan chunk? For me that method seems to allow the neutral smell of the charcoal smoke vs. the pecan smoke to prevail. Usually use Kingsford or Traders Joe's which I think is Cowboy. Thanks for any ideas.
RC

I usually lay on the chunks for HH butts or brisket. Depends on your source and if it has the right moisture content, but usually 2-3 chunks at the get-go.

Tim

I usually lay on the chunks for HH butts or brisket. Depends on your source and if it has the right moisture content, but usually 2-3 chunks at the get-go.

Tim
Thanks Tim. Maybe in trying not to do over do it I have been too conservative. I will try that next time.
Thanks,
RC

I love pecan with chicken or turkey, but a a pork butt can really use some hickory. You might try both. I usually start with three or four chunks, and add some more when they are gone. A butt can take a lot of smoke IMHO.

I use pecan a lot, but it is a milder smoke so adding a little more in chunks should be okay. My favorite is a peach/pecan mix, peach being a little sweeter makes a great combination.

Usually use Kingsford or Traders Joe's which I think is Cowboy.
RC
TJ's briqs IIRC are rebranded Rancher which is a good, if not great natural briquette. It does have a neutral smell compared to the K.
Have you tried lump? Perfect for HH butts IMO.

Tim

I find that there is a significant difference when using "Traditional Briquette" charcoal vs. "Natural Hardwood Lump".
Also, I find that meats like Pork Shoulder can handle more smoke / taste better with more smoke.

To me, it appears that:

Traditional Briquettes (K / R.O. etc.) have their own flavor - in this case, supplementing it with the usual amount of Smoke Wood usually achieves the desired result.

Natural Hardwood Lump (Cowboy / Local Brands [I use Grove]) are more flavor-neutral. Because of this, I can lay-on MORE Smoke Wood - particularly when dealing with meats like Port Shoulder or Brisket that can handle more / longer smoke. For about 12-15 lbs of Pork Shoulder - I am generally happy with the results that I get by using a mix of Apple and Hickory with about 3 to 4 LARGE Fist-Sized Chunks of each. I sometimes add a bit more smoke wood about halfway in to my projected cooker time.

Back