Pear Tree Wood

Dennis Cramer

TVWBB Member
A friend of mine is cutting a few BIG branches off a Pear Tree. This is a flowering pear tree not a fruit tree.

Question --- is this good for smoking?

Thanks

I think it would be just fine. I don't think it would be any different than a "regular" pear tree limb. Mine even produces some very small fruit which the birds eat. I don't see any down side to trying it. Let us know.

Funny you mentioned this. As I was mowing today, my pear tree has a couple branches that are low and in the way. I was thinking of trimming it today, but had to ask myself, was I doing this for the mowing safety and the look of the tree or did I just want some smoke wood?
icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jerry N.:

Funny you mentioned this. As I was mowing today, my pear tree has a couple branches that are low and in the way. I was thinking of trimming it today, but had to ask myself, was I doing this for the mowing safety and the look of the tree or did I just want some smoke wood?
icon_biggrin.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I hate it when that happens.
icon_biggrin.gif

pear is a fine wood. To my tastes the fruit woods have similar traits I guess I would say. Apricot kind of stands out to me for some reason. The more I smoke the more I don't care what goes in the smoker these days
icon_redface.gif
. Although I only mean categorized as "fruit" or "other" excluding misquite or cooking fish. there all pretty good! I think your all set to use it! If you find the time post back what you thought it resembled.

Although the fruits of the ornamental pears are only fit for wildlife, they are closely related to the popular fruit trees and the wood will be very similar, which means it will be very good smoke wood.

Back