PDQ BBQ: PP Double Time!

Gary H. NJ

TVWBB Platinum Member
I needed to make five pounds of pulled pork asap on Wednesday night. My sis- and bro-in-law and their three children were visiting Saturday and they've mentioned an interest in my Q. I wouldn't have time to do an overnight, so I made a plan and got to work the minute I got home from work Wednesday night. This may not be news to anyone else here, but it worked out well and gives my an option for time saving in the future.

Five lbs of pork butt, cut into 1 inch steaks on the OTG.
IMG_3198.jpg

One big chunk of hickory and let her do her thing indirectly for an hour. One note: since I increased the surface area of the butt, I decreased the amount of wood I used. Glad I did; the end result was smoked right.
IMG_3199.jpg

Just about one hour passed. No bark, but I knew that...
IMG_3201.jpg

A little direct sear.
IMG_3202.jpg

Then into the pan, foiled for nearly 2 hours with some of my sauce. Checking periodically to toss and test for tenderness.
IMG_3203.jpg

If it looks like pulled pork and tastes like pulled pork.... ;)
IMG_3205.jpg

A great, simple method. No bark, as mentioned, but all the flavors and tenderness was there. Recommended!
Oh yeah, served on Marty's sesame bun with baked beans and cole slaw.
Cheers!

Nice trick Gary! I was just thinking that if you wanted to do the opposite, this would also be a good method to come up with a maximum amount of bark.

Gary, Outstanding Photos!!
Everything looks AWESOME, Your Plated Pic Is EXCELLENT!
ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL COOKIN'!!

Back