Paul Kirks class on Saturday the 19th

B. Foster

TVWBB Fan
Well, I'm getting my WSM ready to go and I can't wait! It's a 5 hour drive from where I am but I know it's going to be worth it. See you guys(who are going to be there), there!

I'll be there also - really looking forward to the class.
I'm also trying to free up the schedule to make it to the Friday night introductions.

Steve

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Albert Sanchez:
Do you happen to know if Paul Kirk's classes are available on the West Coast - Bay Area? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't see any on the list. You can use this page to contact him and ask him to teach a class there though. Paul Kirk's Page

Previous plans (with friends, for bbq) prevent me from going but dangit I would like to go.
icon_frown.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Darrin M:
I'm heading down tomorrow afternoon. Can't wait. Should be quite the jolly time. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

See you there Darrin! I'm bringing a co-worker. Gonna hit the town on Friday and afterwards on Saturday.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Steve Mayer:
I'll be there also - really looking forward to the class.
I'm also trying to free up the schedule to make it to the Friday night introductions.

Steve </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Unfortunately, I don't think I'll be there for Friday night's festivities. It's a pretty good drive and I'm not sure If I can get outta here in time. I'll see you bright and early at 7am Saturday though!

I'd really like to hear reviews of the class. I almost got to go last year in KC but, things came up etc.

This year we're taking a trip just before that, so I don't know if I could swing it. How much do they get for the class?

Joel

I have my eye on March 19 at Deerfield Beach Florida, I'm about 1.5 hrs south.
You can bring your smoker to Paul's class?

Anyone else here going to the Deerfield Beach calss?

I see that Mr Kirk doesnt own stock in tin foil.
icon_razz.gif
I understand his thinking but I think of foil as a BBQ tool that is needed for me to be successful sometimes. Personnel choice I guess and no doubt he knows more than me.
DP

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ragu:
I have my eye on March 19 at Deerfield Beach Florida, I'm about 1.5 hrs south.
You can bring your smoker to Paul's class?

Anyone else here going to the Deerfield Beach calss? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yea, there were a few of us with the WSM's out there. It was pretty fun and met some neat folks. Be prepared to get a little smoker envy..some of those dudes were hauling some HUGE competition smokers. Man, they were nice.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Joel Kiess:
I'd really like to hear reviews of the class. I almost got to go last year in KC but, things came up etc.

This year we're taking a trip just before that, so I don't know if I could swing it. How much do they get for the class?

Joel </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi Joel,

Here's my unofficial review of the class:

It was $215 for the class and it was worth it I guess. I've been bbq'ing and smoking for ~20 years so I was looking for something more. It started at 7am and ended I guess around 4:30. I met a bunch of good folks there and a couple of people who just seemed to be there to sell smokers.

The only thing I really learned was about a few spices I didn't know existed. I had 'NO' idea that there was such a thing as powdered vinegar, soy sauce, tomato juice...etc...etc.

Paul Kirk has a real good sense of humor and it's fun to listen to him, I kind of wondered though thru class if he was kind of bored. I'd guess that through the years he's been doing it, he's seen just about any and every thing.

The only problem I had with the class technique was the fact that you'd start by learning about brisket, put the brisket on...and 60 minutes later or so, you'd have to open the top and throw the next meat on. (in this case I believe it was a butt). The WSM, in my experience doesn't do well with frequent openings...and it shouldn't. We cooked brisket, ribs, pork butt, a whole chicken and sausage. It was kind of tough to fit on the racks...but you can squeeze it in.

Oh, some of the people who show up to this class are serious. In my case, one of the couples had competed in 42 contests last year...it had me wondering why they were there, then I found out that they were the ones trying to sell smokers. They had pamphlets and everthing, pretty annoying also.

Ok, nothing against Mr. Kirk or the folks that sponsored the class....they were wonderful...and I know that Paul could probably cook me under a table, I'd bet that I could write everything I learned on a post-it though.

The camaraderie was fun and I enjoyed every person there, I've learned more from this board though.

Would I do it again, probably...I'd ask more questions though. I couldn't figure out why Paul hates foil because it's a crutch...but ketchup is perfectly allowable as a base to bbq sauce. Also, he's cool with using other 'crutches' such as bbqguru's and probe thermometers. Anyways, it was enjoyable.

I had fun. I'd pretty much agree on a lot of what B said about doing the class with a WSM.

I got a lot out of the sauce and rub section. That was really what I was going for. And, I got some good pictures of the big smoker I'm now going to build this summer.
icon_biggrin.gif

I thought it was great. Didn't have a problem at all. I liked the fact there were 6-7 huge trailer mounted cookers and 5 WSMs. That should tell you something. Every time we added new meat, I stuck a little piece of hickory on to recharge the smoke. The brisket and pork butt didn't get done enough for me. And, I don't like taking the bone out of pork butt.

But other than that, it was great. And, the night before's crawfish boil was bad to the bone. I could have sat there and ate mudbugs all night.

Fun.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Darrin M:
The brisket and pork butt didn't get done enough for me. And, I don't like taking the bone out of pork butt.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Luckily, my butt and brisket got done in time....there were a couple of guys there I'm guessing..WAY..after I left. One just bought his smoker and I don't think it got over 190 degrees all day.

I do have a complaint, though it's purely on myself. For me, in the WSM, water just doesn't cut it. I had a hell of a time getting the temps over 225. I've cooked at home using sand and lava rock, my smoker has always stayed exactly around 250. I finished faster then most folks...but I'll never do water again.

I would like to thank all of you that attended Paul's class on Saturday, I think a good time was had by most everyone. This was the first time Susan and I have hosted an event like this, although we did it as a favor to Paul, it was our hope to provide information to people that really wanted to learn to que. When we began competeing a couple years ago we were starved for information and Paul's class helped a great deal.

I think Paul even convinced a few people that you can cook good BBQ without foil but, he also pointed out several times that he was sharing tips that worked for him. So if you want to foil then go ahead and do it if it works for you.

Anyone that wants to provide some input as to how we could make this class better feel free to drop me an e-mail.

Brad Sparr

Back