Pastrami/slicer update

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

The slicer arrived about 30 minutes after the pastrami's came off the WSM... talk about perfect timing! I'm very pleased with the slicer -- did the pastrami paper thin.

The only problem is that I can't stop myself from eating the stuff as fast as it comes off the slicer! Maybe I should get really full before I slice the next batch.

Gonna go have me a mile-high pastrami sandwich with about a gallon of beer now....

*burp*

Kelly

Kelly,

What brand slicer did you buy? I was looking at them last year but didn't end up buying one and wasn't sure which one I would buy if I did.

Brand, model number, features, and pros/cons of its usage would be interesting to me. Also, ease of use and cleaning, quality of the slices produced, whether it has plastic parts, and if so do they present any problem during usage and how well do you think they'll hold up over time.

Regards,
Chris

I highly recommend a Ritter E41 Freischneider which can be found at Williams Sonoma (I bought mine 2 years ago, I assume they still carry them). About $250, but excellent quality and longevity. Aluminum housing, not cheap plastic. I use mine 10-12 times a year, cutting 3 pounds each time of frozen tri-tip for competition chili. Last one lasted 10 years before ball bearings in tray gave out; the motor and blade still work just fine. Excellent equipment!

Chris,

I got the professional deli slicer from the Sausage Maker. It's the second one on this page:

http://www.sausagemaker.com/shop/newcat.html?cat=Slicers

I'm happy with it, so far. The only plastic part on it is the guard thingie for the food. It can slice from paper thin all the way up to half an inch. It's also easy to clean. My dad has had one for a long time (maybe a year or more?) and it's holding up beautifully.

My only complaint is that the guide for changing the thickness of slices is not marked with actual measurements. Other than that, I'm very happy with it.

Kelly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back