Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
1/4 cup canola oil
1 sweet onion, thinly sliced
12 ounces good-quality pastrami, sliced
2 pounds ground beef (80-20 blend)
8 slices muenster cheese
4 soft brioche hamburger buns, split
2 kosher dill pickles, thinly sliced
8 Boston lettuce leaves (about 1 small lettuce head)
2 heirloom tomatoes, thinly sliced
Caraway coleslaw

Directions​

1. Start a wood campfire and wait until the flames die down and the coals glow red with white ash. Lower a grilling grate so that it sits above the coals and you have nice, even medium heat.
  2. Place the butter and garlic in a large cast-iron skillet and set over the fire (or on a stovetop over medium heat). As the butter melts, the garlic will infuse the butter and become fragrant. Stir well and season with salt and pepper; transfer the garlic butter to a small bowl and set aside to cool.
  3. Place the same skillet back over medium heat to warm up. Add enough canola oil to coat the skillet, about 2 tablespoons, then add the onion. Cook over medium heat, stirring, until the onion caramelizes, 10 to 15 minutes. Season with salt and cook until soft and evenly brown, about 3 more minutes. Transfer the onion to a plate and set aside.
  4. Raise the heat level to medium high by moving the skillet so it's directly over the coals, or lower the grate so it's closer to the coals. Add enough canola oil to coat the skillet, about 2 tablespoons. Add the pastrami and cook, turning a few times, until crisp, 7 to 8 minutes. Remove the pastrami and set aside, leaving any accumulated juices in the skillet.
  5. Divide the ground beef into 4 portions and form into 4 tight balls. Sprinkle them all over with salt and pepper. Place the hamburger balls in the skillet and sear 30 to 40 seconds, then use a strong flat metal spatula to flatten them. Continue to press with the spatula and cook until the burgers develop a crust on the bottom, about 2 1/2 minutes. Flip and cook to develop a crust on the second side, 1 minute. Use a spoon to baste the burgers with the pastrami fat in the pan.
  6. Top each burger with 2 slices cheese. Pour 1 tablespoon water into the skillet and cover with a lid, aluminum foil or another pan to seal in the steam (this will help melt the cheese). Leave covered 30 to 40 seconds, until the cheese has melted, then remove the lid. When the burgers are at the desired point of doneness and the cheese is melted, top each with a pile of crispy pastrami, then set the burgers aside.
  7. Brush the cut sides of the buns lightly with the garlic butter. Toast the buns directly on the grill over the campfire until golden and crisp around the edges, 15 to 20 seconds. Flip and lightly toast the outside of the buns, another 15 seconds.
  8. Assemble each burger by layering the bottom half of each bun with pickle slices and caramelized onion, then a pastrami-burger patty. Top each with lettuce, tomatoes and the top half of the bun. Serve with caraway coleslaw.
  9. Photograph from "Guy on Fire: 130 Recipes for Adventures in Outdoor Cooking"

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks good. I like new hamburger recipes so please try new ones and post the best recipes. You might want to go to the Food Network site and post your own review. There's only one and they gave it 2 out of 5 stars. Need to counteract it!

Hi Bill, thanks.
The only thing I can say is we enjoyed them. I think if we make them again, DH will make the burgers smaller. lol

You know me, I can keep burger recipes going all day long. lol

In case the Food Network link goes away...

Pastrami Burgers

Ingredients

• 1/2 stick (1/4 cup) unsalted butter
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
  • 1/4 cup canola oil
  • 1 sweet onion, thinly sliced
  • 12 ounces good-quality pastrami, sliced
  • 2 pounds ground beef (80-20 blend)
  • 8 slices muenster cheese
  • 4 soft brioche hamburger buns, split
  • 2 kosher dill pickles, thinly sliced
  • 8 Boston lettuce leaves (about 1 small lettuce head)
  • 2 heirloom tomatoes, thinly sliced
  • Caraway coleslaw
Summary of Cooking Steps

Prepare grill for medium heat.

Place butter and garlic in large CI skillet over medium heat on grill or stovetop. Stir well, heat until garlic is fragrant, add salt and pepper to taste, then transfer to a small bowl and let cool.

Return skillet to medium heat. Add 2 TBSP canola oil then add the onions. Cook, stirring frequently, until onions are caramelized, 10-15 minutes. Season with salt, cook until soft and evenly brown, about 3 more minutes. Transfer onions to a plate and set aside.

Increase heat to medium high. Add 2 TBSP canola oil to skillet. Add pastrami and cook, turning a few times, until crisp, 7-8 minutes. Remove the pastrami and set aside, leaving any accumulated juices in the skillet.

Divide ground beef into 8-ounce balls packed tightly. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place balls in skillet and sear 30-40 seconds, then flatten with spatula. Continue pressing with spatula and cook until burgers develop a crust on the bottom, about 2.5 minutes. Flip and cook on second side for 1 minute, basting burgers with pan fat.

Top each burger with 2 slices of cheese. Add 1 TBSP water to skillet, cover with lid, and let cheese steam/melt for 30-40 seconds. Remove lid and check meat for doneness and cheese for meltiness. When done to your liking, top burgers with crispy pastrami and set aside to rest.

Brush buns with garlic butter. Toast on grill grate until golden brown, 15 to 20 seconds. Flip and lightly toast outside of buns, another 15 seconds.

Arrange pickle slices and caramelized onions on bottom bun, add pastrami burger patty, and top with lettuce, tomato, and top bun. Assemble each burger by layering the bottom half of each bun with pickle slices and caramelized onion, then a pastrami-burger patty. Top each with lettuce, tomatoes and the top half of the bun. Serve with caraway coleslaw on the side.

Last edited:
The reason I have bumped up this thread is because DH has been talking about these burgers recently and wants to make them again real soon. So in the make soon folder goes the recipe. lol Never did get around to posting a review on Food Network, darn it.

I also never thanked Chris for posting the recipe. Thank you Chris!!!!!!!

In case the Food Network link goes away...

Pastrami Burgers

Ingredients

• 1/2 stick (1/4 cup) unsalted butter
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
  • 1/4 cup canola oil
  • 1 sweet onion, thinly sliced
  • 12 ounces good-quality pastrami, sliced
  • 2 pounds ground beef (80-20 blend)
  • 8 slices muenster cheese
  • 4 soft brioche hamburger buns, split
  • 2 kosher dill pickles, thinly sliced
  • 8 Boston lettuce leaves (about 1 small lettuce head)
  • 2 heirloom tomatoes, thinly sliced
  • Caraway coleslaw
Summary of Cooking Steps

Prepare grill for medium heat.

Place butter and garlic in large CI skillet over medium heat on grill or stovetop. Stir well, heat until garlic is fragrant, add salt and pepper to taste, then transfer to a small bowl and let cool.

Return skillet to medium heat. Add 2 TBSP canola oil then add the onions. Cook, stirring frequently, until onions are caramelized, 10-15 minutes. Season with salt, cook until soft and evenly brown, about 3 more minutes. Transfer onions to a plate and set aside.

Increase heat to medium high. Add 2 TBSP canola oil to skillet. Add pastrami and cook, turning a few times, until crisp, 7-8 minutes. Remove the pastrami and set aside, leaving any accumulated juices in the skillet.

Divide ground beef into 8-ounce balls packed tightly. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place balls in skillet and sear 30-40 seconds, then flatten with spatula. Continue pressing with spatula and cook until burgers develop a crust on the bottom, about 2.5 minutes. Flip and cook on second side for 1 minute, basting burgers with pan fat.

Top each burger with 2 slices of cheese. Add 1 TBSP water to skillet, cover with lid, and let cheese steam/melt for 30-40 seconds. Remove lid and check meat for doneness and cheese for meltiness. When done to your liking, top burgers with crispy pastrami and set aside to rest.

Brush buns with garlic butter. Toast on grill grate until golden brown, 15 to 20 seconds. Flip and lightly toast outside of buns, another 15 seconds.

Arrange pickle slices and caramelized onions on bottom bun, add pastrami burger patty, and top with lettuce, tomato, and top bun. Assemble each burger by layering the bottom half of each bun with pickle slices and caramelized onion, then a pastrami-burger patty. Top each with lettuce, tomatoes and the top half of the bun. Serve with caraway coleslaw on the side.
Thanks ! The Manhattan Deli in the Atlantis Reno, NV. Serves a pastrami burger to die for. Gotta try this one.

The reason I have bumped up this thread is because DH has been talking about these burgers recently and wants to make them again real soon. So in the make soon folder goes the recipe. lol Never did get around to posting a review on Food Network, darn it.

I also never thanked Chris for posting the recipe. Thank you Chris!!!!!!!
FINALLY!!!!!

DH did a fabulous job of cooking these tonight. Everything was nicely layered. I forgot the burgers are cooked like smash burgers. I usually don't care much for cheese on my burgers, but tonight I did have the Muenster cheese. Glad I did. Had sweet potato fries on the side. Very filling dinner.

Barb and I didn't do much grilling this summer due to the extreme heat and the charcoal ban. Mostly burgers and chicken on the gasser. I guess I would have to join in and say the pastrami burgers would be the star of the summer also.

Forgot to mention, DH cooked the left over pastrami for breakfast the next day. Sandwich with fried crispy pastrami with fried egg and cheese. Really very good!!!!

Back