Pallet questions.

Jason in CA

TVWBB All-Star
Okay everyone. After starting this little pellet grill adventure I've got a few questions.

First what would everyone suggest for ordering pellets in bulk?

This weekend I was not able to make it to the cook because I was doing other stuff. However my nephew went over and did leg of lamb on my mom's smoke fire. When I got back in the neighborhood I stopped by her house and she had a to go plate (that I haven't tried yet but I'm looking forward to) for me. The thing is, I'm pretty sure everything we've done has used up 40 plus pounds of pellets already. And she was reading that you have to use Weber pellets which are expensive. I've already squashed that for her and told her the last bag we ran through was mostly lumberjack or some other brand, I don't remember now. By the way no issues running the other bag through it. So now that that is squashed what is a good place and your opinion to order pellets in bulk from.

Second, what wood do you prefer and why. I know that changes with what you're cooking and personal preference Play a big part of that, but I'd still like the input.

And finally (at least for now), has anyone tried the charcoal pellets yet? Do they actually give the charcoal flavor to the food? Being charcoal do they burn more efficiently then the pellets do?

And anything else you can add feel free.

Edit:
If you leave a suggestion for bulk pellets please also provide a link. Thank you.

Last edited:
I like CookinPellets 100% Hickory, however I would not recommend that for a SmokeFire for two reasons. Yes, you don’t have to use Weber pellets, I agree, but the SmokeFire does seem to feed less reliably on the pellets from the companies that the use the larger diameter dies. The SmokeFire can also get a little strong with 100% hickory for everything.

Before buying bulk, I’d try some of the blends from maybe Lumberjack or others. You can probably find a nice Hickory, Maple, Cherry blend or similar and just use it on everything. Keep in mind most brands of pellets make their single species as 70-80% base wood (oak or alder). That’s why I like blends as they are easier to find as all flavor woods. I actually really like the Weber Grillmaster blend, but understand not wanting to pay retail for it.

The SmokeFire can also get a little strong with 100% hickory for everything.

Maybe because half the cooks I've done were at higher temperatures and faster grilling I haven't noticed it. But using hickory I didn't really notice a heavy smoke flavor when temperatures were turned up. I did do ribs at 225/250ish with hickory for an extended time and the smoke flavor was good according to everybody that had them. My crowd doesn't seem to mind have you smoked flavor. In fact, I did lobster tail on the kett le and used apple chips while cooking and I thought it was way over smoked. The others thought it was really good. And I don't mind the heavy smoke flavor as long as it's not overdone.

What brand of hickory did you use? Unless it was CookinPellets or the Lumberjack specifically marked 100% Hickory it was most likely about 25% Hickory, the rest oak or alder. You have to look at Lumberjack carefully as they also do a blend hickory, 60 oak/40 hickory. Traeger is like 80/20 and a lot of the others are that or 70/30. So running Bear Mointain, Traeger, etc. ‘Hickory’ is not likely to be overpowering on much.

Last edited:
I just tried Kingsford’s Signature blend which you can get at the larger Walmart stores very reasonably. Claims to be all the three hardwoods in the recipe. Smells good and the ribs tasted great to me. I like Weber Grillmaster a lot - just not the price. This Kingsford seems to be on the same ballpark regarding nice flavor and smell. Not the same combination as it uses mesquite:

Kingsford’s Classic blend I believe is the same as Weber’s GrillMaster. I haven’t tried it yet.

Kingsford also has 100% hickory and 100% cherry.

Last edited:
When you get to the bottom of the bag don't dump the powder in your machine, just use the good solid pellets. The powder could cause the feeder to jam.

Pit Boss Competition Blend at Lowes are only around $15 for 40 lbs, and have fed just fine through my Smokefire, along with every other brand that I've used. Bear Mountain was on sale recently for $8 for 20 lbs bags, and they worked real well also. Cabela's, Lumberjack, and Weber are all thought to be from the same manufacturer, and are smaller diameter than the others, if that matters to you. Hope this helps.

Charlie

I've used Weber, Lumberjack, Pit Boss and B&B. They all performed the same in my grill. I recommend that people try several brands before buying in bulk. I haven't used 100% charcoal but I just read a review on our Facebook group of the Royal Oak Charcoal pellets and that user said they're no big deal. He won't get any more. I've been curious but the guy that posted is credible to me so I'm going to pass on trying charcoal.

I bought my pellet grill for temperature control not so much for smoking I will be the first to admit the WSM gave a very nice smoky flavor with the wood chunks as compared to the Camp Chef pellets, but it was a PITA chasing temps up here with the winds and all and the CC works much better.
I've used Weber Apple and Hickory, Pit Boss Competition and All Natural Charcoal Smokey Blend, Kingsford Signature wood Blend, and numerous others. Barb and I are not real big fans of heavy smoke so I tone it down. But in all honesty I can't tell that much difference between them. I'm sure that's a combination of 73 year old taste buds and my preference for less smoke.
But I find this interesting when I'm down to the last pound or two of pellets I dump the hopper into a container. I have a mix of various brands and blends which I have labeled Mutt Mix. It's one of the best blends I've tried, go figure.

No idea why Traeger uses oils instead of the stated wood, as far as I have read it has oil for the flavor and no hickory apple ect, maybe they have changed ?

I've used charcoal pellets in a smoker tube on a gas grill. Wasn't really impressed. Prefer the real wood chips or pellets. Also, the Jack Daniels whisky pellets are all just marketing BS, in my opinion.

No idea why Traeger uses oils instead of the stated wood, as far as I have read it has oil for the flavor and no hickory apple ect, maybe they have changed ?
Traeger owns a patent on flavored oils for pellets, but I think whether or not Traeger uses oils is speculation. I’ve never seen evidence that they do or do not. Lots of companies patent ideas in case they decide to pursue them.

Traeger was sued over this issue. It looks like the case was dismissed on a technicality, so we may never really know for sure.

Oils = chemicals.

I don't know what I trust less, pellets, briquettes, or food labeled as organic.

Hard to convince me that if your multi-million dollar crop of "organic" strawberries has developed a fungus that you're not out there at 2:00 am spraying them with some chemicals.

Last edited:
Okay everyone. After starting this little pellet grill adventure I've got a few questions.

First what would everyone suggest for ordering pellets in bulk?

This weekend I was not able to make it to the cook because I was doing other stuff. However my nephew went over and did leg of lamb on my mom's smoke fire. When I got back in the neighborhood I stopped by her house and she had a to go plate (that I haven't tried yet but I'm looking forward to) for me. The thing is, I'm pretty sure everything we've done has used up 40 plus pounds of pellets already. And she was reading that you have to use Weber pellets which are expensive. I've already squashed that for her and told her the last bag we ran through was mostly lumberjack or some other brand, I don't remember now. By the way no issues running the other bag through it. So now that that is squashed what is a good place and your opinion to order pellets in bulk from.

Second, what wood do you prefer and why. I know that changes with what you're cooking and personal preference Play a big part of that, but I'd still like the input.

And finally (at least for now), has anyone tried the charcoal pellets yet? Do they actually give the charcoal flavor to the food? Being charcoal do they burn more efficiently then the pellets do?

And anything else you can add feel free.

Edit:
If you leave a suggestion for bulk pellets please also provide a link. Thank you.

Jason, if you haven't already, look around fbmp and craigslist. Perhaps someone local is already doing this.
I found my last load of Lumber Jack Char-Hickory for $8 a bag. I only bought 10 bags, but could have bought
more.
If you don't have luck with that ... try this .. https://bbqpelletsonline.com/

Back