Painting a rehabbed Genesis 1000

JWPopeJr

Planning to rehab a Genesis 1000. Apparently it has been painted flat black lid and firebox. I want to paint the lid high gloss black. Suggestions on how to begin? Also, your suggestions are welcome re what is the best color to paint the firebox. Thanks in advance. Jim

The lids are porcelain. They should not be painted. Not just for esthetics but because paint will not adhere to porcelain (which is basically glass fused to metal) Search the forums for further info. It has been discussed to great length

Well, paint is not the way to go to tell you some unpleasant truth. If it has indeed been painted, you really need to remove the paint, the lids are enameled (think stove finish) which is glass so, I suggest using a razor scraper and slowly peel The paint off, it will be tedious work but, go slowly
Bruce has posted a before/during/after set of pictures somewhere. Just do the lid, the end caps are a different process

Agree with above. Some good paint thinner should take spray paint right off the outside of the lid, no problem. You can also scrape it with a single edge razor blade in a holder. Also, the inside of the lid is basically the same porcelain as the outside. If it looks like peeling paint inside there, it isn't. That is simply burned on smoke residue and carbon that is peeling off. Besides, you never want to paint anything inside the fire box.

My experience with a painted Weber gas grill hood was that Larry's advice to just spray it with paint stripper worked like a charm. I had started using 0000 steel wool which worked but very tediously. The nasty flat black basically washed off with the paint stripper:

IMG_3907.jpeg

IMG_3978.jpeg

Speaking of paint. I refuerbished my Gen 1000 about five years ago. Repainted the outside of the firebox with Rustolem high heat paint. Now it is all flaking off. Any better paint to use? I'll have to take the grill apart and do it all over again. Not to mention, the left side frame cross member on top is all rusted again to.

5 years of regular use will likely do in any spray paint job, especially if exposed to weather. Maybe doing a little more on the prep side would help. All the old flaking stuff obviously has to be removed and using something like xylene to clear off all the grease will help the next paint get a good grip. Rustoleum is about as good as you can get non-commercially. I happen to like Krylon's Max High Heat because I think it goes on easier and like the semi-gloss look, but I wouldn't expect it to last any longer.

That top cross member is a part that is under a lot of stress with ample opportunity for rusting. My suggestion is to use Bruce's video as a guide for cutting it out and replacing. I recommend you source a length of stainless steel tubing to make the replacement piece.

5 years of regular use will likely do in any spray paint job, especially if exposed to weather. Maybe doing a little more on the prep side would help. All the old flaking stuff obviously has to be removed and using something like xylene to clear off all the grease will help the next paint get a good grip. Rustoleum is about as good as you can get non-commercially. I happen to like Krylon's Max High Heat because I think it goes on easier and like the semi-gloss look, but I wouldn't expect it to last any longer.

That top cross member is a part that is under a lot of stress with ample opportunity for rusting. My suggestion is to use Bruce's video as a guide for cutting it out and replacing. I recommend you source a length of stainless steel tubing to make the replacement piece.
Thanks for the suggestions. Looks like we'll be doing refurb part 2 this summer.

Yah, after 4 years, my personal grill lid endcaps need a fresh coat. But, since they are aluminum underneath, I am not in a big hurry.

Back