Painted hood

BobW

TVWBB Fan
So I saw this Skyline on CL not too far from my place. Lady wanted $100. Fairly steep but Ive been looking for something for my Daughter in Law for a while. This looked like it had potential so I thought I’d at least take a look at it. Looked it over and it had the usual issues. Drip pan rails need replacing, ignighter, grates are shot, but falvorizers have been replaced with SS but the 20ga cheapos (amazing how much lighter they are than the RC planebuyer sets). Anyway, dura wood in good shape, frame is solid, and the hood looked to be hazed up but they usually polish up good, so I offered her $30. She took it I loaded it up. When I got back to the shop and started to tear it down, I noticed what I thought was haze, looks like some high heat bbq paint sprayed in several places on the hood with care to leave the skyline emblem displayed. Anyone ever had luck taking paint off of the porcelain? I imagine it would polish up fairly nice if I can get that paint off. Didn’t know if any of you gurus had any solvent suggestions. Thanks in advance

Bob,
I would use some Citrus paint remover, let it sit for a bit and the paint should slide right off the Porcelain hood easily.

Jeff

Yep, paint stripper will take it right off!

When I got my maroon hood:

k9w6kh.jpg

After working hard with Simple Green and a lot of scrubbing:

34gx4dz.jpg

Then Larry gave me the idea to use paint stripper. Rest washed off in a few minutes:

2zq7621.jpg

I was shocked to find such a beautiful color hood with no apparent issues buried under that awful flat black paint. I hope you will be as fortunate with your Skyline hood. Even if the paint covered some minor stuff, I am pretty sure it would still look better brought back to porcelain.

Yep, paint stripper will take it right off!

When I got my maroon hood:

k9w6kh.jpg

After working hard with Simple Green and a lot of scrubbing:

34gx4dz.jpg

Then Larry gave me the idea to use paint stripper. Rest washed off in a few minutes:

2zq7621.jpg

I was shocked to find such a beautiful color hood with no apparent issues buried under that awful flat black paint. I hope you will be as fortunate with your Skyline hood. Even if the paint covered some minor stuff, I am pretty sure it would still look better brought back to porcelain.
Jon that’s great, can you tell me which stripper you used, or is that in violation of the forum rules. I see citristrip at HomeD but I’ve never used it so not sure which one to try

Last edited:
Any regular paint stripper should work fine. The factory coating on the hood is ceramic and any paint solvent will have no effect on it. Use the paint stripper with some #0000 steel wool. I am really interested to see your Skyline hood. Can you post some before and after pictures for us to check out???

Any regular paint stripper should work fine. The factory coating on the hood is ceramic and any paint solvent will have no effect on it. Use the paint stripper with some #0000 steel wool. I am really interested to see your Skyline hood. Can you post some before and after pictures for us to check out???

Thanks Bruce, Ive been challenged uploading pics to this forum. I used to use photo bucket before they went belly up. The last restore was 2 years ago and cant remember which photo server I used. This is the only forum that wont let me upload directly. I plan to photo document the whole restore for my daughter in law anyway so if I get it figured out Ill see if I can get them on here.

Most on here now use Imgur.com for photo hosting. It takes some getting used to but otherwise works well.

Well....not sure what I’ve got here...but. So I get out to the shop this afternoon for a closer look at the ‘paint’. I dunno but it seems to scrape off with a bit of elbow grease like the carbon inside the hood using a razor scraper. Hard to imagine that close to the entire outside of the hood is carboned...but it’s coming off ok so I’ll continue

Back