Paint for genesis enamel lid (not endcaps)?

Steven Felix

Hi everyone,
I've scoured posts on rehabbing, but few people seem to need to paint the enamel part of the genesis lid. If there is already a thread on this, I'd appreciate being pointed in that direction! Anyway:

I obtained a G2000 in pretty good condition, except that someone painted the lid (end caps and enamel) with some terrible matte silver paint, which is not only ugly, but also flaky and gross.

I used a wire cup brush to sand off the paint, which did a fairly good job and didn't totally ruin the enamel, but there are some spots on the enamel where the original black paint coat got a little thing. So I am going to have to repaint it. What is the appropriate paint for this part? I know people like the Semi Gloss ULTRA for the endcaps...but what about the enamel?

Thanks!

Before (Ewwww! anyone else?):

Screen Shot 2021-03-21 at 8.23.33 AM.png

After some wirecup brushing. On the top, there are a few silver streaks where I over brushed :(

IMG_0751.jpeg

The enamel is a very high temperature fired porcelain and if it’s damaged there isn’t any paint that will endure. Best idea it to watch for a donor grill and simply replace it, sad but true.
The good news is there are lots of those out there and you should be able to find a replacement hood without too terribly much trouble or expense.
One suggestion, take the end caps pff when you grind them, it makes the painting much easier, just remember to make sure to mask off the inside, no paint on the inside!!!
There are a few true artists doing restorations here, (head and shoulders above my skills) and guys like Bruce and Jon and others have posted some really detailed “digital workshops” with what they do, there is a very detailed restoration guide around here somewhere, I’m too lazy (or stupid) to do the search but, it’s here somewhere.
Answers will be bountiful form members, fear not.
Welcome aboard.

Yah, painting a lid is just not a good idea. But, it can be done. Just don't expect it to last long. If you had simply taken some good paint thinner/stripper to the lid, that old paint would have just wiped right off leaving a beautiful porcelain lid. Since the porcelain is scratched now, there is nothing you can do but paint it or replace it. I highly recommend replacing it. The thing about these lids is that basically any 3 burner Weber Genesis lid from 1985 to 1999 will fit that grill. So, all you have to do is find a donor grill of which there are tons and since they are all 15 - 30 years old, a lot of them hit the curb for free pickup or under $50. Oh, and yes, remove the end caps when working on the lid. It makes everything soooo much easier.

This lid had flat black paint covering it.

20190925 Weber Genesis Silver B - Blue Head (10).JPG

Here is a video of the lid before. I used the scraper to prove to someone that it was a blue lid painted black. Someone was trying to tell me that it was a black lid painted blue. I used paint thinner to remove the rest of it and the picture above is how it came out.

Yeah not sure why using a wire brush but oh well damage is done. As Bruce indicated because paint really does not adhere to the porcelain simply using some stripper on it would have sufficed. At this point a donor grill is called for.

Thanks Tim, Bruce & LMichaels. I'm really kicking myself right now! I'll strip down the remaining paint with some paint thinner and a scraper and see just how much damage I did. I may be able to live with it until I find a donor grill.

Steven, you have the right idea. Just clean it up as best you can and use it while you are looking for a donor grill. It doesn't matter how it looks when it comes to cooking performance. Keep your eyes open for a colored lid. They don't suffer from the very common Weber Fade like the black ones do and they are "fun".

Thanks Tim, Bruce & LMichaels. I'm really kicking myself right now! I'll strip down the remaining paint with some paint thinner and a scraper and see just how much damage I did. I may be able to live with it until I find a donor grill.
You will find one soon enough, just be patient.

Steven:
Where abouts in RI? I'm a fugitive from Wakefield/Narragansett. I'd go the paint thinner route for the rest of it and then the 000 steel wool and simple green to see what you actually have left.

I'm just going to throw this out here, something to keep in the back of your head...something to do while you wait for that donor grill.

There are porcelainizing outfits out there such as this one:

On the web: http://www.ipe-porcelain.com/

You might be lucky enough to have one locally (there are several in my area). Anyway, I figure about $100-$125 for a lid, maybe more, maybe less...and if this is a keeper grill and you'd rather not wait for that red or brown or blue or orange or grey lid to come your way, you can customize your color.

Probably a little more, but then you are not confined to just a few colors. A restorer here has made a Glen Blue porcelain Genesis hood that looks spectacular. Other possibilities are certainly out there!

Back