Ox Tails

LMichaels

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
I saw on a BBQ competition show. Actually the one on Netflix IIRC, that Oxtails are somewhat popular to Q. Anyone done them? I have a few packages as I love them pressure cooked as a stew type prep. I get them at Sam's and they're way cheap so I stocked up on a few and threw them in the freezer.
Would love to hear back if anyone has done them. If not maybe I will be the first? :D

Most people smoke them followed by a braise. I am from the other school, LAS till tender.

It’s been a while, but the last time I smoked them on a WSM. Rubbed with Steve Raichlen’s basic rub. Smoked with pecan for 3ish hours. Did not spritz, but did have a quarter full water pan. Let rest for 2 hours.

Served with brisket finishing sauce.

I saw on a BBQ competition show. Actually the one on Netflix IIRC, that Oxtails are somewhat popular to Q. Anyone done them? I have a few packages as I love them pressure cooked as a stew type prep. I get them at Sam's and they're way cheap so I stocked up on a few and threw them in the freezer.
Would love to hear back if anyone has done them. If not maybe I will be the first? :D
Sams in Reno gets $7.98/lb. Much as I like them, not paying that much for bones. Thought seriously of smoking some until seeing the price.

Done them a few times, along with beef cheeks. Wonderful L&S. The depth of flavour is much better than regular beef.
I used to do Larry Wolfe's PSB recipe using beef cheeks. Epic!

I love oxtail, being married to a Filipina. Possibly my favorite dish is Kare kare. But as has been mentioned, I don't pay that price for what used to be an economical cut. Seems all the "cheap" meats have been showcased so much on the cable food shows, everything is expensive now. There are no more "cheap" meats.

I like oxtail too, but not at $9.00 lb. That's what they were going for at my local Jewel grocery store last I looked. I also enjoy using beef shanks for stew or soup, those are a little more reasonable around here.

I like oxtail too, but not at $9.00 lb. That's what they were going for at my local Jewel grocery store last I looked. I also enjoy using beef shanks for stew or soup, those are a little more reasonable around here.
I don't recall the price, but my Sam's was practically giving them away which is why I bought like 5 pkgs. Still have 3 or 4 left in deep freeze. Hence my smoking them question. The pellet cookers have opened up a whole new set of culinary adventures to me. Or improved on my current game like crazy

Back