Overnight Pulled Pork Hold in Oven @ 150

GrantT

TVWBB Pro
Well, I'll certainly be using that little trick again....holding in the oven at around 150 instead of cooling down the protein. Next time I'm doing it on purpose instead of emergency crutch though. Think my next brisket I will do this as well.

Heading out today for a family get-together, and told everyone I would smoke some pork. Found a beautiful (and huge) boneless pork butt at Costco and it was the largest single pork piece I have ever done (for 20 people). Seasoned it all up heavily on Friday and let it sit overnight. Started smoking yesterday morning, but it was taking FOREVER...(kudos to the Weber Kamado - held 250 perfectly for 14 hours non-stop, no charcoal add...man, I still love this grill so much!! ) Anyways, was not finished until midnight last night when it probed super tender and hit about 201 degrees. So, then I was stuck. Didn't want to leave it out and let it cool down for food safety, didn't want to heat up my entire fridge, and wanted to go to bed and not have to get up middle of the night !! So I remembered someone saying holding it in the oven at 150 or so....which you can supposedly do indefinitely (even over multiple days) - and safely too.

So, set my oven to 155 degrees, tightly wrapped the pork in foil and put it in a pot, and also put in my grilling steel and pizza stone in the oven for extra mass and temperature stability. I've never set my gas range temperature so low so didn't know how it would function. Got up this morning at 9:00am - oven (laser thermometer) was a perfect 153 at grate level. Pork was perfect temperature too, and absolutely MELTED in my hands...so incredibly moist and tender. Absolutely the best pulled pork I have ever done.

I just put the pulled pork BACK in the 155 oven too until we leave - it will arrive hot and ready to eat and has neven been below 150 since yesterday. Kinda cool.

Was smoked with mesquite and hickory as it was so large I wanted to get some serious smoke on it. I was then worried I over did it because it was REALLY strong smoke, but after pulling and mixing, its perfect...can't wait to eat some in a couple hours...

I encourage you to give it a try if your oven can do this...I read many cannot go below 170.

Last edited:
Great tip.
Mine can go to 135, ( just checked) its a double oven electric.

Interesting. Many report their electrics will only go down to 170. Safe zone is to keep below 40, or above 140 from what I have read now...so that 150 is a perfect point as to not cook it more and keep it hot/serving temp.

My oven will only go to 170 but you can also calibrate it down to closer to 150. My wife won't allow me to do it, but I've done it anyway. Don't tell her. And God help me if I forget to switch it back when she goes to bake! We have a double oven as well.

I like this idea and think it might work for me.
Sure would be nice not having to race and chase my tail trying to feed people.

Back