Overnight Leg of Lamb

M D Baldwin

TVWBB Super Fan
Tonight I am planning to do a 5 lb Boston Butt and a 5 1/2 lb bone in leg of lamb. I put the rub on first thing this AM after scoring the meat.
I plan to use the Minion method w/Hickory and Apple and spray w/ Apple juice. Hope to get the meat on the grill about 9PM, turning it about 3AM, saucing it about 6AM and off the grill into foil about 7 or 8AM.
Full report to follow

The Results-
Put the meat on about 730PM, Butt on top rack, lamb on the bottom, sprayed it w/ apple juice and sealed it up. Woke up about 145AM, the temp was 260, sprayed and turned both pieces, added more water, and went to bed. Got up about 630AM sauced it and the butt was falling off the bone, temp was 220.
Took everything off about 745AM. The butt was foiled in pieces because it was sooooooo tender and falling apart. Nice ring and taste. Foiled it for about 3 hours and then sliced it. Really juicy and great flavor.
My wife loves lamb as much as I do. The lamb stayed on the bone well. I foiled it and into the cooler. OK, in the interest of this forum, I forced myself to do a taste test-really good and nice ring. Nice smoke flavor, nice uptake of the rub and smoke. Unfortunatly, my wife now insists that this may be the new standard for lamb on the grill.
Americans are really missing a great cut of meat w/lamb. It is very moist and a subtle sweet flavor. If anyone is in a BBQ rut, try a leg of lamb and you will learn a new world of lfavor.

Sounds great, M.

I am a a huge lamb fan and like all cuts cooked many ways to many doneness levels. I cook for some people who love lamb but cannot abide it past med-rare and for others who will not touch it unless it is cooked through. It doesn't matter much to me so long as it is moist and flavorful--which brings us to another point: Australian lamb, more available to American consumers, generally, than American lamb, is stronger flavored because it is grass-fed and -finished. Most commercial American lamb is grain-finished and milder but that's not what's available in most stores.

When I am introducing lamb to people I find American grain-finished lamb if I can and trim it very well and that makes a difference on how it is received. If only Aussie lamb is available and I'm cookng for people for whom I'm unsure of their tastes in lamb, I'll marinate in a flavorful marinade (this 'Dirty Martini' one, e.g.), and that helps moderate its stonger flavor.

I'm completely with you on how how good lamb is and the vast majority of people I cook lamb for that have never had it before end up liking it very much and surprise themselves.

Originally posted by Jay Turner:
I plan on giving lamb a try soon. Do you have any recommendations on what finish temp should be?
I find that most people like lamb the same way they like beef and that is certainly true for me--med-rare for the cuts that can be cooked that way (leg, loin and rib chops) and cooked through for the cuts that need slow, complete cooking (whole shoulder, shank). There are individuals (and whole cultures--Greeks, Latins) that prefer it cooked completely no matter what the cut (they eat beef that way too).

Roasts or cuts that will be cooked to lower internals (the same temps for beef apply) can be cooked at higher cooker or grill temps, just as you'd cook roast beef or steak; cut destined for thorough cooking (~170) can be low/slowed.

Trim lamb roasts of surface fat and remove the fell, like beef's silverskin, before cooking.

I love lamb when cooked well. I'm slowly learning to do it myself. What was your rub if you don't mind sharing. Did you check the temp of the lamb when you pulled it off?

Generally, lamb is best med rare. I was going for something new, an overnighter I knew it would be more med-med well. The temp was 170 when I took it off and foiled it. The flavor was really good and the meat was still quite moist. I have done shorter cooks/smokes and the end temp was lower. Now I have a problem, because I like both approaches. It is good to see interest in the greaty meat. I hope to see more.
BTW, the rub I used was my own. First I moisten the meat w/ Worchestershire, the apply my rub which is a combo of brown sugar, chilli power, dry mustard, cumin, pepper, garlic and onion powder, hickory salt, and dried onion.

I've had good success with Legs of lamb. My method was to medium high heat (about 275-300F) smoke-roast them to 170F internal temperature. That worked well for for slicing it & serving as well done, still moist.

Question: Does lamb "pull" like pork butt if you cook it further? If it works, what finished temp is good for pulled lamb, 185, 195?

We Australians love our Lamb. I read with interest that you usually apply a rub to it. To give the Lamb a fresh citrus taste try marinating it in fresh squeezed Lemon juice, fresh crushed rosemary leaves, a couple of crushed cloves of garlic and maybe a bit of mustard powder. Marinate it for a few hours then cook it slowly to about 150-160 internal temp. The trick with Lamb is to remove the bone before cooking. When serving slice from top to bottom this way everyone gets the same type of cut it will show off the smoke ring and you will get even flavouring.
You just can’t beat good Lamb.

Regards

Originally posted by Darrell:
Question: Does lamb "pull" like pork butt if you cook it further? If it works, what finished temp is good for pulled lamb, 185, 195?
You can take it to 170 and chop it (this is common, especially for leg) or you can go to the mid-190s (common for shoulder) and pull it.

Back