Out of the jar sauce

When I don't make my own, I really like George's BBQ sauce. This is made here in N.C. and is basically a thin Lexington style sauce. Really great on pulled or chopped pork.

I use Sweet Baby Rays. I had been trying to make my own to get the taste I wanted until I tried Rays. Then I gave up and started using that since that was what I was trying to create. I don't use any other bbq sauce now, although, I'm sure there are good ones out there too.

I'll have to try that Rays + Cider Vinegar for a finishing sauce. I had been looking for a good finishing sauce, so I'll at least give it a shot.

Tough to say I have a true favorite but some of the sauces I've liked are:

Big Daddy's (Des Moines IA)
Roadhouse Southern Sunset (Chicago)
Head Country original
Crazy Jerry's Alotta Bull (someplace in FL, I think)

Right now I have a couple of restaurant sauces in the fridge: Sticky Lips Pit B-B-Q of Rochester NY (might be sold commercially as well) and Butch's B-B-Q & Breakfast of Hickory NC. Butch's is a Carolina vinegar sauce with some heat and is totally different from most of the sauces commonly seen here in the Midwest.

Brad

Originally posted by Don hebert:
Cherry jello powder???
icon_confused.gif
I never heard of that, what is the benefits?

Get some Marys Cherry Rub. It is excellent on chicken and pork chops. You can also make some fantastic Pig Candy withit, bacon with brown sugar and Marys on it baked in the oven. To die for!!!

I also have to vote for Blues Hog for ribs and baked bean
I alsi like Georges for PP, but my favorite is Pee Dee River SwampSauce!!

Ben

Originally posted by Don hebert:
Cherry jello powder???
icon_confused.gif
I never heard of that, what is the benefits?

I like sweetnesss on my pork, ribs cnd chops( I even put syrup on my bacon). Probally why I have diabetes. I found the idea from a recipe in a mens health mag a couple of years ago.I didn't have all the ingredients so I just added the jello powder to the Earl Campbells. I really liked it. Every one that tries my ribs raves about them. They can't belive it when I tell them my secret ingridient. I also use the rud to liven up my sauce. Try it you'll like it.

i'm with the big bob's fans. rub, championship red sauce, habanero, and backyard mustard are all great. and the white is fantastic on chicken. weird to get used to, but like sea salt and malt vinegar chips, you can't stop eating them. stubbs makes a wonderful product as well. and in a pinch, i'll use some kc masterpiece.

Which type of Sweet Baby Ray's are folks using on pork?

I tried the hickory and brown sugar on some smoked chicken thighs that I pulled. It was pretty good.

Originally posted by Craig A:
Which type of Sweet Baby Ray's are folks using on pork?

I tried the hickory and brown sugar on some smoked chicken thighs that I pulled. It was pretty good.

I've just been using the regular one. Haven't tried any of the others.

Blues Hog Tennesse Red on PP, its quite thin so a little drizzle keeps it moist and adds a nice touch of flavor. Head Country and Billy Bones are usually in my fridge too.

My bottled sauce is "Montgomery Inn". It is relatively cheap, and readily available.

I have never had a complaint about it, and people really seem to like it. I prefer it because the first ingredient is Tomato, and it does not contain HFCS.

Back