Out of the jar sauce

Don hebert

Hey guys and gals!!

What is ur favorite out of the jar sauce and pre-made rub??
Thanks for all the great info!!
icon_smile.gif

I just ordered some head country sauce and rub.
And I already have some Texas BBQ rub and SBR.
I was curious about blues hog, swamp sauce, etc.....

Jim,

I echo all that. Stubb's is great stuff. I use the marinades for all my meats and the wife and I have come to love the spicy sauce.

We also like a localish mustard sauce called Rumboggies

Sonny's Real Pit BBQ is a restaurant chain with locations in 9 southeastern states. I'm not a huge advocate for their restaurants....but IMHO their Sonnys Sweet BBQ Sauce is one of the best all purpose bbq sauces available
icon_razz.gif
Sams stores in the south... $4.79/half gallon!!!

Sonny's Real Pit BBQ is a restaurant chain with locations in 9 southeastern states. I'm not a huge advocate for their restaurants....but IMHO their Sonnys Sweet BBQ Sauce is one of the best all purpose bbq sauces availableRazzer Sams stores in the south... $4.79/half gallon!!!

I was just about to say the same thing. My family loves it.

For store bought rubs I like John Henry's Pecan Rub for ribs and butts, Texas BBQ Rub for briskets, beef ribs and chuck rolls, and Head Country for everything else.

Big Bob Gibson's Championship Red Sauce for sauce (the White Sauce is KILLER on chicken and turkey) and either Big Bob Gibson's BBQ Rub or Bad Byron's Butt Rub (a little spicer) for out of the bottle rub.

Pat

I for one really like Stubbs Moping sauce on chicken and finished with stubbs spicy sauce.
I am from Austin and many years ago when I worked at Eckerds I was fortunate eneough to come to know C B Stubblefield (aka Stubbs) He was a really nice man extremely tall about 6' 5" or so and at Christmas I always bought his sauce, I would get a whole case for me and my neighbors. This was before the commercial stuff, he would go to a local bar and gather old whiskey bottles and fill them with his sauce. Every bottle contained a jalapeno pepper and was topped with red tape simulating the seal of modern bottles. He was quite a character and he also always sent me a christmas present usually it was an autographed picture of him with some big time movie or music star. Later on he sold me the new things he was coming out with for the public, and on rare occasions he brought ribs which were really good. He had an idea of opening a new bbq cafe or club, even had the building picked out and had signed a lease. Then disaster struck and he had a final heart attack and passed away. A few years later his family started the sauce business and finally opened the club.
BTW the current sauce is not even similar to the original sauce, IT contains among other things corn sugar and other stuff which he didn't put in the original.

I still miss that old man who would help anyone who needed help. After the first heart attack the Austin musicians held a benefit for him and his family Willie Nelson and almost every one in the Austin music business was there and it really helped CB

Oh yes that really is a picture of him on the bottles.

Originally posted by gary s smith:
I for one really like Stubbs Moping sauce on chicken and finished with stubbs spicy sauce.
I am from Austin and many years ago when I worked at Eckerds I was fortunate eneough to come to know C B Stubblefield (aka Stubbs) He was a really nice man extremely tall about 6' 5" or so and at Christmas I always bought his sauce, I would get a whole case for me and my neighbors. This was before the commercial stuff, he would go to a local bar and gather old whiskey bottles and fill them with his sauce. Every bottle contained a jalapeno pepper and was topped with red tape simulating the seal of modern bottles. He was quite a character and he also always sent me a christmas present usually it was an autographed picture of him with some big time movie or music star. Later on he sold me the new things he was coming out with for the public, and on rare occasions he brought ribs which were really good. He had an idea of opening a new bbq cafe or club, even had the building picked out and had signed a lease. Then disaster struck and he had a final heart attack and passed away. A few years later his family started the sauce business and finally opened the club.
BTW the current sauce is not even similar to the original sauce, IT contains among other things corn sugar and other stuff which he didn't put in the original.

I still miss that old man who would help anyone who needed help. After the first heart attack the Austin musicians held a benefit for him and his family Willie Nelson and almost every one in the Austin music business was there and it really helped CB

Oh yes that really is a picture of him on the bottles.

Gary, thanks for all the info on Stubblefield.

We've been using the moppin' sauce as well as his reg. and spicy sauces for a long time. I mix the regular with mustard sauces for pulled pork, and the best bottled sauce I've ever found for brisket is his regular sauce. It does have corn syrup, but at least it doesn't have high fructose corn syrup like 99.9% of other red sauces.

One day CB came into the drugstore and said he had something for me. and then he produced a tape from the local television station of CB Serving his BBQ on the Letterman show. He was really proud and So was I. CB was always being flown out to hollywood to cook for some movie set. Somewhere I have that tape if i only had a vhs player maybe I could make a digital version to show you guys. I will start looking

later

Back