Ouch...Ouch...Ouch

Steve Petrone

TVWBB Platinum Member
Today's cook is butt n brisket. While pouring coals from the chimney...I smelled burning butt and fat...the only problem is the cooker was not assembled. My big toe was the source of the burning meat! Ouch! I knew better...I read all the warnings.

Guess what, I went to add water to the assembled cooker. and OUCH AGAIN !!! The other foot this time-I stepped on a small ember.
There is dumb and dumber and then there is Steve!

Wear Shoes!!!

Wow, you actually burned it so bad you smelled it burning? Didn't it, well, kinda *hurt* before you smelled the smoke?

I think we need to start a new thing here on TVWB where if you're hurt while Q'ing, you get a medal or something, kind of like the purple heart only for Qing. Maybe a patch with the red cross, and a butt or brisket in the middle?
icon_biggrin.gif

Well I did feel it first...the first burn didn't hurt too much-on a big callous.
The second burn was in the arch and immediate.
Very dumb.

Steve -- your title says you are a "Pro" Are you giving your tltle up or are you going to change your ways and live up to it????

I should talk! I blew my A$$ up with a gas pig cooker a few years back. Spent the night at Presby with a nice bottle of morphine.

Phil -- I am not so sure about the medal. How do you put a recognizable dumba$$ on a medal? In my case, intense stupidity goes before an injury.

Vernon, I do not know about 'pro'. That just means I had too much time on my hands...I have learned a lot from you guys but seems like dumb mistakes teach me alot too. I wish I could could cook good consistent ribs. Where do you buy yours? HT, F Lion, Wally world all had enhanced. Perhaps costco?

Ouch Steve. Only good thing about your accident is you sharing it here so we can learn without getting hurt. Every time I fire up my WSM I think about Susan's injuries and am much more cautious. Thanks,

Ray

Originally posted by Phil R.:
Wow, you actually burned it so bad you smelled it burning? Didn't it, well, kinda *hurt* before you smelled the smoke?

I was adding additional charcoal during a long cook on the WSM last year (with shoes on). As I was adding hot charcoal from the chimney through the access door, I knelt down on a hot ember and did not realize it until I smelled burning flesh. I think the ember instantly cartarized my knee cap which prevented me from feeling any pain. I did hear the sizzling sound before I noticed the smell, but I thought an ember had fallen into the water pan I keep under my WSM.

The scar is my <span class="ev_code_BLUE">BBQ Battle Wound</span>.

Just last night I finished off a bag of Kingsford and had an insteresting and slightly painful experience.

I filled the chimney with what was left in the bag, including a pretty good slug of the accumulated charcoal dust. Lit the chimney and went in to prep the chicken. I added a bit of charcoal to the ring from a freah bag, then added the lit coals. A shower of sparks from the suddenly ignited dust came out along with the lit coals when I dumped the chimney. I had my garden shoes on, but no socks. Now my ankles are freckled with a bunch of little burn marks from the buring charcoal dust.

Another bbq lesson learned!

So Vernon when you backed into the smoker butt first, my first question would be did you use a dry rub or wet? If a dry what is your favorite Butt Rub for flesh would you recommend? LoL If you would have mopped first think it would have been less painful?

Steve, look at it like this: I've yet to meet a long time bbq cook that doesn't have a scar or two somewhere. You're just earning your "Pro" status the hard way.

My big dummy moves when cooking are; I have a tendency to grab onto hot thermometers, and hitting my hands and/or forearms on the side of the cooker when working on the lower grate. Burn city.

I think the Honda motorcycles slogan says it best, "Stupid Hurts!"
icon_eek.gif

Rick

Originally posted by Gary Miller:
So Vernon when you backed into the smoker butt first, my first question would be did you use a dry rub or wet? If a dry what is your favorite Butt Rub for flesh would you recommend? LoL If you would have mopped first think it would have been less painful?

Actually, I was relighting a gas pig cooker (with oysters on it at the time) and found myself on the ground about 10-15 feet further back than when I lit the match. (Umm -- the gas did not dissipate like I thought it did!)

I violated the low and slow rule of BBQ with an intense, instantaneous application of too much heat. A beer marinade had been applied to the meat, but it was way too little. I mopped RFO (regularly, frequently and often) with ice water while the wife drove me to the hospital. A paste rub of silvadene was applied after the fact as were injections of morphine.

Other than the great stories, Burnin Vernon was a sorry dish. I do not recommend it!

Originally posted by Steve Petrone:
I wish I could could cook good consistent ribs. Where do you buy yours? HT, F Lion, Wally world all had enhanced. Perhaps costco?

The Bride (for some reason) did not prefer Costco so we have Sam's and BJ's cards, both of which are closer to the house.

Winn-Dixie (soon to be gone in the Carolinas) is where I have been buying ribs, mostly. The latest batch of spare ribs came from Bi-Lo; they were cryovaced by Smithfield and do NOT say anything about being enhanced, but the syrup was too thick to convince me that they were not enhanced. They came out pretty good.

Incidently, Lowe's foods is advertising $1.19 spare ribs through Tuesday. I am sending the Bride to get a few. I know that this is not considered a great price in some parts of the country, but the sale prices in this area are typically $1.99.

I have been much more careful with the chimney since my little accident. It was little, but it was enough because it involved my eyes. I didn't even really notice it when it happened but when I poured out the charcoal, one of the small sparks hit my eye. I didn't really feel like much when it happened but the next day, there was definitely something in my eye. I went to the eye Dr. and sure enough - a burn blister.

As I said, very small but enough to make me be much more careful. Now when I pick up the chimney, I give it a little tap (kinda like slamming down a beer mug) to loosen any of the small pieces. Then, as I pour out the coals, I keep the chimney as far away from me as possible and pour very carefully.

Lol, I really hope their are no women, wives or girlfriends reading this thread.
icon_smile.gif

After reading a couple recent threads about flaking in the wsm, I wondered if mine was getting any kind of build-up in the dome. Well, I checked it, but I checked while I was using it. I had lifted the lid up to basted a p/b, and stupidly flipped the top over to look at the inside. Promptly burned a 2" piece of flesh on my forearm where the top hit it. I didn't tell the wife.

Does setting my pants on fire while starting my chimney full of charcoal count? I found out that heat resistant does not mean fire proof. Was handling hot coals, took my gloves off and put them done on the bench. Unfortunately one of the embers on the finger continued to burn right throught he glove. Saw the smoke and put it in water but now I have a glove with 4 and a half fingers.

Live an learn eh Steve? Too bad it has to be painful sometimes
icon_wink.gif

One of the first times I lit a gas grill (Dad sent me outside to do it alone) I left the lid down turned on the gas, knelt down (face in front of grill) ... put the hand held sparker in .... click ... click .... click .... click ... click .... click BOOM!

The propane flashed, the lid was thrown back and I lost my eyebrows, eyelashes, nose hair and some of my hair. Luckily I didn't catch fire or get any serious burns.

Back