OTG / air flow question

Jim McKelvey

TVWBB All-Star
OK OTG community, need help on something - could be just me....over the last few months I've had a few cooks on one of my OTG's where I really struggled to get a good hot fire. Charcoal has been ruled out (though I do have a separate charcoal issue - RO Natural Briqs, not satisfied). Only thing I can think of is perhaps the One Touch bucket is somehow restricting airflow? Each time I've had an issue, it seems to be that there is absolutely no wind or breeze. Is it possible that the system has a minor but tangible impact on airflow in a still air environment? Separately, I've never had an issue with OTS kettles. Any thoughts? Is the issue real or imagined?!

OK OTG community, need help on something - could be just me....over the last few months I've had a few cooks on one of my OTG's where I really struggled to get a good hot fire. Charcoal has been ruled out (though I do have a separate charcoal issue - RO Natural Briqs, not satisfied). Only thing I can think of is perhaps the One Touch bucket is somehow restricting airflow? Each time I've had an issue, it seems to be that there is absolutely no wind or breeze. Is it possible that the system has a minor but tangible impact on airflow in a still air environment? Separately, I've never had an issue with OTS kettles. Any thoughts? Is the issue real or imagined?!

I've got an OTS that I converted to the gold ash catcher. I didn't notice much of a difference, but I've heard that it can effect it. I switched for safety reasons because I have my grill on a deck. I'm happy with the heat of the grill but I've never used a therm with it other than when cooking low and slow with a smokenator. I've still got the clips on the legs though so I could theoretically switch back whenever. I've heard of people going from OTG to OTS before.

The last few cooks on my OTG have exhibited the opposite behavior. With the vents just cracked (maybe 1/8" at the widest point), it was hitting 375-400 degrees; closed all the way, the temps plummeted and the fire nearly went out. FWIW, I pretty much always use the charcoal baskets, usually on opposite sides, drip pan in the middle with the top vent centered between the baskets. Also, I'm putting my Maverick's probe dead center on the grate to read the temp, so that's quite likely the coolest spot of the cooking area.

I remember something similar ( like this ) came up a few years ago. I don't have this problem, but a suggestion was to remove the ash pan and place it below on the wire shelf. Try that and see if it makes a difference.

Tim

Only happened once that I can remember and it was a still day, a rarity here in the mountains. The performer wouldn't get up over 300.

Thanks for the replies! Sounds like I may have to do a side by side comparison on a calm day. Will check back in after I get a chance to test!

Back