Orange shrimp and asparagus

That looks like a perfect summer evening meal, Andy! How noticeable was the orange flavor in the shrimp? I've done lots of citrus marinades for shrimp, and always feel they lack the depth of flavor from whatever citrus I'm using.

R

That looks like a perfect summer evening meal, Andy! How noticeable was the orange flavor in the shrimp? I've done lots of citrus marinades for shrimp, and always feel they lack the depth of flavor from whatever citrus I'm using.
Watched a video on view to a grill's YouTube channel recently. I have simplified it a bit to run water over frozen shrimp in the sink. Then soak in orange juice and paprika while the coals light and grill comes to temp.

I don't get an overwhelming citrus flavor but the hint is there and I like the paprika color. Makes for great finger food and the wife likes it.

Speaking of "orange flavor", yesterday I came across a recipe for "liver" using orange juice. I have been doing a lot of thinking about this. My fellow liver lovers, what do you all think?

Andy, no recipes?;) You can't tease me like that (says a fellow shrimp lover)

Speaking of "orange flavor", yesterday I came across a recipe for "liver" using orange juice. I have been doing a lot of thinking about this. My fellow liver lovers, what do you all think?

Andy, no recipes?;) You can't tease me like that (says a fellow shrimp lover)
Go for it. I love liver, especially with fried onions. (When I cook liver I always soak it in milk for 1-2 hrs before cooking, as it removes a lot of the bitterness, and cook to just pink).

R
Try adding the zest. The skin holds all the oils which have a ton a flavor. And finely mince the zest for a lot of coverage and distribution on your shrimp. Also juice concentrates have more flavor than straight juice because, they’re concentrated 😂😂😂

Try adding the zest. The skin holds all the oils which have a ton a flavor. And finely mince the zest for a lot of coverage and distribution on your shrimp. Also juice concentrates have more flavor than straight juice because, they’re concentrated 😂😂😂
Not sure why I never thought of that, Brett, I use zest all the time......just not in my citrusy shrimp marinade! I usually don't have any concentrate on hand since we have some very prolific citrus trees. :)

R

Not sure why I never thought of that, Brett, I use zest all the time......just not in my citrusy shrimp marinade! I usually don't have any concentrate on hand since we have some very prolific citrus trees. :)

R
My carne asada and pollo asado both use frozen concentrate juice (orange pineapple blend is my preferred go to). On fresh citrus, like you (lemons and limes for us) I use the zest for that pop of flavor. I also like like zest in my smoothies and fresh fruit margaritas. Give it a shot and see if it gets you what you want flavor wise. I think it should. The oils in zest are amazing. If we have too much fruit, I’ll even place lime zest (using a peeler, not a microplane) in the bathrooms around the house. Free air freshener.

Totally agree with the zest addition!! Just made the easiest chilled lemon pie ever for the second time adding the zest of one of the two lemons.
Quick lemon pie-
1-prefab shell (graham, shortbread, nut, whatever)
1-8 oz. Block of cream cheese
1-can sweetened condensed milk
juice of 2 lemons (Zest of one, maybe both, yet to be determined)
1-tsp. Vanilla extract
I blitz everything but the shell in the Cuisinart until smooth, scrape the stuff into the shell and put it in the fridge for a few hours.
Then, slice, eat, go to bed!

Back