Orange Marmalade Sriracha Wings

how long ahead of time to you boil everything together? If to to it to far in advance, will it get sweeter/ spicier?

I FINALLY got around to trying these wings, and they were quite good so I'll list my tweaks.

I'd love to read what other posters have found in regards to possible marinades and other seasonings, but regarding seasoning, I first hit 'em with Weber Zesty Lemon, then some Weber Kickin' Chicken. This decision was based on the fact that although the Kickin' seasoning has some orange peel and "kick", it's only got half the salt that Zesty' does, which was recommended by someone somewhere back in the thread pages anyway. I believe the two worked pretty good together, and I sprayed 'em well on both sides with Canola before giving 'em a quick kiss of seasoned sassafrass smoke.

Instead of 300*, I started at over 450*, and then lowered the temp to around 350* by around glazing time. Even though it's an indirect set-up, you want to flip the wings about 15 minutes in if grilling indirectly HH as I did. (Spraying again with Canola probably would've been a good idea too, but the neighbor dropped by and I forgot.)

I used my OTS and folded up some foil over half the charcoal grate and up the side some to make clean-up easier, and speaking of the glaze, it probably sets up a lot easier than at lower temps, but just don't forget about it. (Glad the neighbor didn't drop by then.
icon_wink.gif
)

Anyway, the Missus and I found the wings plenty sweet as they were, even with changed ratios that were pretty close to what Jim Lampe posted somewhere, if I recall. (Thanks, Jim!) I used only 1/4C honey and brown sugar each, and increased the chili sauce to 1/2C. My wife is in no way a chili-head, and it wasn't too spicy for her.

All in all, it's a keeper, and I might try using other preserve flavors like apricot or blackberry for the sauce in the future as well. Thank God for chicken wings! These were pretty dang good.
icon_cool.gif

Oh my, another great recipe from the site. I have learned so many new ways to grill from this site. This site is the best.

Here is how I made them. Since I didn't have any Wolf Citrus Rub, I used my stand by rub and added lemon pepper to taste. Enough to give some zing to it. Seasoned heavy, then indirect with 3/4 of a chimney. Felt the fire was getting too hot, so slowed it down for a few minutes. After about 40 min, dipped each into the pot of glaze. Did this twice 10 minutes apart. Mine came out just like pictured. I also use two handfulls of apple wood chips at the beginning.

These had a sneaky heat to them. Sticky sweet on the front, with a quick fire bite on the backend. Not lip burning, forehead sweating heat, but enough to let you know it was there. This recipe has been perminently added to my collection. Thank You.

Originally posted by B Krikalo:
how long ahead of time to you boil everything together? If to to it to far in advance, will it get sweeter/ spicier?

Yesterday, I did my second batch of Sriracha wings, half of them from leftover orange Marmalade that was made a week or so before. Yes, I think the sauce was better, and a little hotter. Of course, it could've been that I used more Weber Kickin' Chicken seasoning (by itself). I should also mention that the glaze had Jim Lampe's ratios with more chili sauce, though.

The other half a batch with Weber Zesty Lemon seasoning under the Blackberry preserves sriracha sauce was ok, but not nearly as good in my opinion, as well as everyone that had both.

Larry,

I tried your recipe over the weekend - it was great! Made a big batch of wings with some grilled balsamic vinaigrette zucchini on the side. I made a non-spicy version of the glaze (a couple of my family don't do spicy) by substituting soy sauce for the Siracha. The family loved it both ways. Thanks for the info...

Lombardi trophy should be Larry Wolf Trophy.... AWESOME super bowl WINGS recipe

For the last five years I have been invited to more super bowl parties than you can image. It's not that I am such an awesome guest... LOL, It's because about five years ago, on this site. I stumbled across the very best recipe in the world for chicken wings. They are literally so good that when I tell people that I can not attend their SB party; they ask me if I could just do some wings for them. I am not kidding.

The recipe is so simple but so good that it should be in everyone's repertoire. I give full credit to it's creator: Larry Wolf. I can not thank him enough for the recipe, nor the person who posted it. I think it might have been Chris, but regretfully, I do not recall. THANK YOU LARRY WOLF I actually do mine on my WSM, though grilling would be fine.

The following is from his website: http://wolfepit.blogspot.com/2009/10/orange-marmalade-sriracha-wings.html

Orange Marmalade Sriracha Wings

I am a chicken wing fanatic and always looking for a new way to make better chicken wings. I'm cruising the aisles of the grocery store one day and start picking out things I think would go good as a glaze for grilled wings. I threw in Sriracha Sauce, Orange Marmalade and honey and figured I'd add some more stuff when I got home. Well, I came up with what I think to be a perfect spicy/sweet combo sauce that is fantastic on grilled chicken wings as well as other grilled meats such as chicken, pork chops, ribs and meat balls. Here's the recipe and the process.

Orange Marmalade Sriracha Sauce
1 - 18oz Orange Marmalade (I used the generic store brand, you can buy gourmet if you choose)
1/3 Cup - Sriracha Sauce
1/3 Cup - Honey
1/3 Cup - Brown Sugar

Directions - Combine all ingredients in a heavy sauce pan and heat over medium heat, bring to a boil, stirring constantly to dissolve the sugar and combine ingredients and remove from heat.

Grilling Directions - Grill wings indirect at 350º for 20-30 or until golden brown. Then dip the wings in the sauce, then place back on the grill and continue to cook 10 minutes and repeat one or two more times. When you're done, you should have a 'candy like' glaze.

Wow! Thanks for the recipe! Noe I just need to find the sauce that I cannot pronounce! How do you say it phonetically? Thanks again!

It was posted here 4 yr ago by Larry himself.

http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?5949-Orange-Marmalade-Sriracha-Wings

The search function on this site really doesn't work very well. Maybe because all the good stuff is in the old (pre-merge) data base which doesn't connect to the new. Some stuff shows up in a search but a whole lot doesn't. Use google with weber in the search terms and most all of the data will be found.

Andy, I believe the first R is silent (Siracha).

Last edited:
Wow! Thanks for the recipe! Noe I just need to find the sauce that I cannot pronounce! How do you say it phonetically? Thanks again!
I get mine at Krogers, it is in the international foods section. Most major supermarkets carry it. It has a green cap and rooster on the bottle.

I get mine at Krogers, it is in the international foods section. Most major supermarkets carry it. It has a green cap and rooster on the bottle.
And if you can't find that one , there are many brands to choose from. I like the one that sun luck foods makes almost as much as the rooster brand.
a0570c9dffbf68546e1cb97662c1d734_zps45c61a83.jpg

It was posted here 4 yr ago by Larry himself.

http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?5949-Orange-Marmalade-Sriracha-Wings

The search function on this site really doesn't work very well. Maybe because all the good stuff is in the old (pre-merge) data base which doesn't connect to the new. Some stuff shows up in a search but a whole lot doesn't. Use google with weber in the search terms and most all of the data will be found.

Andy, I believe the first R is silent (Siracha).

Yep, the search is a pain to use at times, but that is one of his popular dishes and it's on the next page, 14 down. ( odd, thought that had a 5 star rating )
http://tvwbb.com/forumdisplay.php?83-Poultry-Recipes/page2

Tim

Love, love, LOVE this recipe!!! Thanks again for sharing! I tried it again tonight and increased the amount of Sriracha so that it was at a ratio of 1:1:2 of honey, brown sugar, and Sriracha. The heat came out perfect. I'll be doing this more often.

Add another happy griller here.

Made these for the family for the first time yesterday on the 26'er. Delish!!! I will absolutely be doing these again.

Back