Orange Marmalade Sriracha Wings

Neil Grant

TVWBB Fan
OK so I've tried this recipe several times and I can't get the sauce to stick well to the wings...the glaze only ends up being as thick (and runny) as my last brushing. WTH ?

R L Bagwell

TVWBB Pro
Neil, I can't imagine what the problem might be - when I cook 'em, I just use tongs to dip the wings into the pot, and the sauce sticks like glue - even after adding some cider vinegar to give it some kick as well as acting as a thinning agent - although there IS some "drippage" which really gunks-up my grill!

Are you grilling totally over indirect heat? I can't say for sure, but that may contribute to your problem; perhaps you could try grilling directly (I know Larry's directions call for indirect) over the coals the last few minutes and see what happens.

Good luck.

Russell McNeely

TVWBB Wizard
Has anyone used a rub on these other than Larry's rub?
Or is the rub recipe posted somewhere and I just missed it? (or can it be purchased on-line?)
icon_smile.gif

JimK

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
Russ:

I use Webers zesty lemon or kick'n chicken rubs. Usually the zesty lemon.

Russell McNeely

TVWBB Wizard
I usually cook wings indirect at about 400 degrees F. Does this sound OK for this recipe? Will I have to worry about the sauce burning (due to high sugar content)?

R L Bagwell

TVWBB Pro
Russ:

I've never measured the temps while grilling 'em - I use a modified two-zone charcoal briquette configuration with the lid off - that said, I wouldn't think, based on my experiences, that you'd have a problem with the sauce burning when cooking indirect - I know I haven't....

According to Larry's grilling instructions, included in the link provided to me by Dave/G 9 posts above, indirect grilling @ 350º doesn't seem to pose any problems.

Russell McNeely

TVWBB Wizard
Thanks Rooster. I don't know how I missed that link after reading through the post twice but I did
icon_confused.gif
. Anyway, I used the sauce last night on some thighs and drumsticks and didn't have any problems.

T Perkins

TVWBB Fan
Tried these for the first time last nite...pretty **** good. Really liked that sauce quite a bit and will be using that again on some other lucky chicken parts in the near future.

R L Bagwell

TVWBB Pro
T:

Welcome to the forum...yeah, dems some good dead chicken parts alright - just take the advice from Larry et al., and don't spend so much time chizzlin' the crud off the bottom of yer grill like I did the first time I tried 'em, just leave it lie and let the next batch of hot coals burn off the residue....
icon_smile.gif

R L Bagwell

TVWBB Pro
Bob, I don't like really hot food, but I do like moderately-hot stuff; for ME, I can generally gauge a food's spiciness based on a simple test: if it makes the top of my head sweat, then it's too hot for me - that recipe, for me, was just right, and my head didn't sweat....
icon_wink.gif

Hope that helps you out!

Bob Sample

TVWBB Diamond Member
Thanks Rooster, sounds like I like about the same level of heat as you. I'm making this sometime during the week.

Mark R (LR)

TVWBB Super Fan
Thanks for sharing the great recipe Larry! I tried these last night. My son (who is a pretty picky eater) saw me mixing the sauce and was VERY skeptical. He cleaned his plate, and I got a "That was pretty good!" out of him - music to my ears. I really like the way the Srirachi sauce works with the recipe and will probably add a bit more next time for a little more heat.

Dave_S

TVWBB Member
Oh wow, I gotta try these. I'm a sriracha junky. I just love how you can keep adding more and more of it, balance it with something sweet, and the flavor just gets crazy intense. Mmmmm, the Mrs. and I will love this...

Originally posted by jerry elliott:
used this in YORK PA. this weekend came in 5th

York has BBQ contests? My hometown... I never knew...