Orange Marmalade Sriracha Wings

Love this recipe on the "to do list" that one keeps geting bigger and bigger for every day i visit this forum.

Bless

LOL. This recipe just got moved to the top of my to do list.
To Do List
1. Make these wings
2. Make pork butt
3. Mow the grass (if there's time)

Fantastic 5 ***** recipe did them tonight with my wifes chicken /fish rub and we will be doing these often real often .

If you haven't tried these there a must try ! I used Walmart brand Great Value marmalade and it worked out perfect no reason to spend the extra money on a fancy name brand marmalade we keep it here all the time and it was what was on hand IMHO ! Walmart has a Red Rasberry I am gona try with this on somthing soon also maybe some poke chops
icon_smile.gif
!

One more thing you might expect a lot of heat tasting the sauce befor cooking . But really its has just a little back end heat not much when finished on the Q ! Duno if Wolfe rub adds more heat as I don't have that recipe . If you want a lot a backend heat you will have to add it unless the Wolfe rub has added heat duno . IMO Its perfect as is !

Originally posted by Guy Wallace:
If you haven't tried these there a must try ! I used Walmart brand Great Value marmalade and it worked out perfect no reason to spend the extra money on a fancy name brand marmalade we keep it here all the time and it was what was on hand IMHO !

Amen!!! I have used good and cheap marmalade and haven't noticed one bit of difference!! Glad you enjoyed the wings!

I've made these several times now and must say they have been a hit every time! Thank you Larry for the recipe. It has definitely become one of my secret weapons.
icon_smile.gif

I also did this on chicken thighs and those turned out awesome. I did an overnight brine of water, salt, sugar, and some Wolfe Rub Citrus (in the brine). Yanked the thighs and dried, sprinkled with a bit of WRC then grilled indirect for about 45 minutes. Then did another 20 minutes or so, saucing twice. Very tasty!

One thing I was wondering is what can be done to cut down on the mess this makes of the grill. When I make them on my weber, I can just throw a drip pan down. But when I'm making a bunch (5+ pounds) I like to make these on my gas grill, since it has so much more surface area. Unfortunately I can't fit a drip pan under the grill of the gasser.

Last time I tried cooking indirect for an hour, with the wings on the grill. Then I transfered the wings to an aluminum drip pan and just poured all the sauce over the wings. There was probably 1/4" of the sauce in bottom of the pan. After 15 minutes I just rolled the wings and went another 15.

My guests loved them, but the texture and carmelization of the sauce was different this time. What do you guys think of this method? Would all that boiling of the sauce break it down too much? Are the wings being cooked more than normal by boiling in the sauce? Anybody have a variation on this method that might work for these?

I found this rub somewhere on the net and used it for these wings...pretty spicy but great:

1 tablespoons kosher salt
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 teaspoon ground thyme
1 teaspoon rubbed sage
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon black pepper

i haven't read every post in this thread so i don't know if anyone posted this info. the huy fong brand of sriracha is ok but when i was a chef in a thai restaurant we used shark brand. the two are not the same, shark brand is from thailand and huy fong is from the us.
i'm sure shark is more $$ but to me has a much better flavor, huy fong seems more harsh to me.....shark also comes in 2 different degrees of heat.....here's a link if anyone cares to try it.
btw, those wings in the original post look FABULOUS!!!!!!!!
http://importfood.com/sash0709.html

we also used to use this thai sauce...sweet chile garlic sauce. it's a little bit spicey, sweet and garlicky, what more could you ask? haha.
http://importfood.com/samp1001.html

i've never tried it on a charcoal grill but bet it would go well used in a recipe such as the one in this thread.

I just looked in the fridge and I actually have a bottle of the Mae Ploy sauce!! It's good, but a totally different animal with alot of sugar and sodium already added, compared to Sriracha, which is pure chili and garlic. IMO, no comparison.

The Mae Ploy is very commercialized, Srircaha is more straight forward Thai IMO. Again, no comparison.

i didn't mean to replace the sriracha with the mae ploy sauce, but to use it like the mix you came up with. it certainly is an entirely different animal than sriracha.

we used to make a steak marinade from black soy sauce and red curry paste, which was REALLY GOOD when grilled, in our restaurant. i bet it would be even better on a charcoal grill!!!!

I don't mess with them, they are addictive as per original recipe. I cook them so much my wife and friends think I should visit a
BBQAHOLIC meeting.

Originally posted by gerelee:
i didn't mean to replace the sriracha with the mae ploy sauce, but to use it like the mix you came up with. it certainly is an entirely different animal than sriracha.

we used to make a steak marinade from black soy sauce and red curry paste, which was REALLY GOOD when grilled, in our restaurant. i bet it would be even better on a charcoal grill!!!!

Ahh, I see and completely agree! The Mae Ploy is good by itself!

These are going to be part of my football sundays. Making an extra hot batch tonight for the Skins game!! I hope the Skins beat the cowboys bad!!

Thanks Larry loving the rubs and especially this recipe!!

THANK GOD THAT FOOTBALL SEASON HAS FINALLY ARRIVED!!

One more thing you might expect a lot of heat tasting the sauce befor cooking . But really its has just a little back end heat not much when finished on the Q ! Duno if Wolfe rub adds more heat as I don't have that recipe . If you want a lot a backend heat you will have to add it unless the Wolfe rub has added heat duno . IMO Its perfect as is !

I grilled some thighs with the OMS Friday and it was some of the best chicken I've ever eaten. Good call on the heat. It's amazing how subdued the heat becomes after heating it.

Could you toss fried wings in this sauce? I bet they wouldnt be nearly as carmel-y and sticky yummy.

I've made these with grilled wings and they were great, but I prefer fried wings.

I get the 16-20 size uncooked/deveined shrimp.
Thaw out and peel the shrimp except for the tail so that you have a handle while eating. Skewer them using two skewers spread out so that they can't move while on the grill.
I put a citrus rub (I got it at walmart) on them and put it on pretty thick. It's pretty chunky when you buy it so I grind it finer in a hand mill.
Next in a sauce pan, put 1 stick of unsalted butter, about 1 healthy TB of fresh garlic and sriracha sauce to taste.
Start slow and keep tasting it until you get it to the right heat.

Get the weber nice and hot and put the shrimp on. I like to char them pretty good on both sides and then start basting the sauce on at the end. This all goes down in under 7-10min.

They will be great.
I'm actually doing some today for superbowl.

Back