Opinions, please on this new smoking trick

Sandee McKinivan

TVWBB Member
I have an idea for cooking a turkey breast that I scored at a Target sale for $.69/ lb: :"Market Pantry Premium Turkey Breast with ribs, back portions, wing portion & Neck Skin contains up tp a 15% Flavoring Solution"

Not my first choice for a "Premium" smoke, but the price hooked me. Brining is not an option due to the %15 solution. :mad: I have an 18.5 and a 22 WSM. I always cook waterless with a foiled clay saucer.

Anyway, after an hour or so of searching this site for ideas, I had this thought: To increase the OVEN effect and cook high heat from both the bottom AND the top, what effect would a foil-covered 12" metal pie plate put onto the TOP rack have on the 7 lb. breast sitting on the bottom rack?

Would the space between the racks become like a convection oven?

I will definitely be trying this in the next week. Meanwhile - opinions, comments anyone?

Last edited:
Anything is worth a try but my belief is that it would have no effect. My understanding is that the air flow is coming up around the outside of the cooker, it seems like a pie plate in the middle would just be there and not do much, if anything. The good thing is that you didn't pay much and the likelihood of ruining the meat is virtually zero anyway so go ahead and let us know if you sense any difference. That how we all learn.

Similar to using foil pans on both racks > you still get more color on the top rack. Maybe foil the top rack completely and punch some holes to mirror the top vent?

Tim

timothy, that is a good idea. As long as I don't block too much air flow to choke the fire, cover it all. I will report back after action.:)

Back