Ooops I Did it Again

LMichaels

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
Yesterday was stopping at our little market and meat shop in the village and I usually peruse the "specials" cold case. What do my eyes see? A GORGEOUS brisket point. Even though I have a nice packer in the freezer, when I saw that point I could not resist. All trimmed and ready and at a great price. It is awaiting either the smoker this weekend or the vacuum sealer and the freezer as well. Not sure why they cut off and sell what to me is the best part of the brisket, but if it's like the last one I got there. I'll take all they got :D

I usually just smoke the point anymore since it’s just my wife and I. I’ll buy full packers when they’re on sale and cut the flat off and grind it into burger. The flat makes great burger and we will vacuum seal it in 1 lb packages.
Good idea. We like the point a bit better ourselves. It's also less of a "challenge" to get "right". I may do just that with the packer I got (when I take it out of the freezer and thaw it. Good idea. Cheaper than grinding a chuck too. I might just throw that point on the smoker tomorrow

Good idea. We like the point a bit better ourselves. It's also less of a "challenge" to get "right". I may do just that with the packer I got (when I take it out of the freezer and thaw it. Good idea. Cheaper than grinding a chuck too. I might just throw that point on the smoker tomorrow
Do it!!

Just put on a little bit ago. 225, fat cap down, water sheet pan on bottom shelf. Was late. Had a disaster last night at house. Long story, will post elsewhere

Well, think I've hit the stall. I have had my temps at 250 now for awhile. Meat is at 150 and has been there for the last hour. Whch leads me to another thing. I've been of the opinion we wrap primarily for the benefit of the flat. Since I have only a VERY well marbled point, I am thinking of pusing on through the stall and not wrapping this one. Not sure if I will increase the temp beyond the 250, but IDK, maybe 275? Thoughts? Mouth is watering when I go out there and smell it cooking..

Well it's at 275 (the oven not the meat). I think it's FINALLY pushed through as it's now up to 165. Onward and upward!

Well I am in a quandry. It has pushed through the stall a while ago, grill still sitting on 275. Probe, reading 185, when I probe it with the instant read the probe falls through like hot knife through butter. Could it possibly be "done"? I was thinking it had to push through to 200 or so

Well, made an executive decision. Pulled it and wrapped in foil about 45 min ago. Probe was just falling through it. Gonna rest it about 90 min and give it a taste. It feels very tender and jiggles like jello

OK, a report on the final result. In a word.....................incredible. from now on, I am repeating this and only doing points. It has an overall bark that makes every slice taste like burnt ends. Bottom line Super Smoke (160) for about 90 min, then up to 230, then once it hits stall, 275 until done. No wrap. Just the water pan. No spritz either. Deep smoke, crunchy bark, juicy and tender. Couldn't ask for more

Looks like a beautiful cook.
Might just be me. But the point always seems to probe tender at a much lower temp than the flat. But to me, when pulled early, it’s just the larger amount of rendering fat that make it probe so easy. When pulled early at say 185 it’s too fatty and not rendered enough. I only pull at these lower temps when I’m going to cut up the point to make burnt ends.
But it’s all personal preference.

Looks like a beautiful cook.
Might just be me. But the point always seems to probe tender at a much lower temp than the flat. But to me, when pulled early, it’s just the larger amount of rendering fat that make it probe so easy. When pulled early at say 185 it’s too fatty and not rendered enough. I only pull at these lower temps when I’m going to cut up the point to make burnt ends.
But it’s all personal preference.
It did seem to have a little "extra" fat, but no lack of tenderness. But, the extra fat may have just been from where I began cutting it (the end furthest away from where the flat would be). Now that I am thinking about it, I usually start it at right angle to where the flat would be. Well, I only cut a little bit so no harm. When I slice it for packaging tonight, I will do it how I normally do.
In any case, the packer in my freezer MIGHT just get the remove the flat treatment. Only thing I am unsure of is this: If I take the flat off, and grind it, I will be freezing the ground meat most likely. Which will mean it will be frozen again. So I am wondering if that might be an issue. Of instead if I should just take the flat off and cook them separately. Many of the people on my Z Grill FB group do a brisket that way. So that each part can be at it's "peak" cook.

It did seem to have a little "extra" fat, but no lack of tenderness. But, the extra fat may have just been from where I began cutting it (the end furthest away from where the flat would be). Now that I am thinking about it, I usually start it at right angle to where the flat would be. Well, I only cut a little bit so no harm. When I slice it for packaging tonight, I will do it how I normally do.
In any case, the packer in my freezer MIGHT just get the remove the flat treatment. Only thing I am unsure of is this: If I take the flat off, and grind it, I will be freezing the ground meat most likely. Which will mean it will be frozen again. So I am wondering if that might be an issue. Of instead if I should just take the flat off and cook them separately. Many of the people on my Z Grill FB group do a brisket that way. So that each part can be at it's "peak" cook.
I do it all the time and never had a problem. See below from the USDA

If raw or cooked food is thawed in the refrigerator, it is safe to refreeze it without cooking or heating, although there may be a loss of quality due to the moisture lost through thawing. After cooking raw foods that were previously frozen, it is safe to freeze the cooked foods. And if previously cooked foods are thawed in the refrigerator, you may refreeze the unused portion. Do not refreeze any foods left outside the refrigerator longer than 2 hours. If you purchase previously frozen meat, poultry or fish at a retail store, you can refreeze if it has been handled properly. For more food safety information, you can call the USDA's Meat and Poultry Hotline toll-free 1-888-674-6854 between 10:00 am and 6:00 pm EST. Or you can email: mphotline@usda.gov

i wasn't worried about the "safety" just the flavor, texture and overall eating quality. My other thoguht is taking the flat off and simply cooking separately

Not sure why they cut off and sell what to me is the best part of the brisket, but if it's like the last one I got there. I'll take all they got :D
Nice score Larry. Points are my favorite, but if I do have a flat, of a full brisket, I cut the flat away from the point and I make Pastrami out of the flat. Once the flat is cured, cooking it is similar to cooking a regular brisket, however I usually pull it at 150/160 IT

i wasn't worried about the "safety" just the flavor, texture and overall eating quality. My other thoguht is taking the flat off and simply cooking separately
Sorry. Guess I misunderstood what you were trying to say. I’ve never had a problem with “flavor/texture or quality “. Give it a try once and see what you think.

Back