Ono, hawaiian for good (Charcoal)

Alan D

TVWBB Super Fan
I have searched a few times over the past month or two, thinking you guys here were the masters of 'que fuel, but haven't seen mention of ono. Nothing on naked whiz either...remember, don't leave your Weber in the rain, you'll get rusty!*wink*

Knock that rust off and get with the plan...it's always a good time to 'que...

I guess I'll have to post something to mention Ono charcoal.

I picked up this bag a month or so back at BBQ Galore, but used the balance of a large bag of Lazarri I had which turned out to have a LOT of really fine small pieces, and this ono is larger pieces, which seem to break up similar to the Lazzari for me. That is better, the Lazzari had a bunch of dust and tiny pieces which fell through the grate anyway...and kinda created a mess...the 10 lb. bag of Lazzari is better than the larger bags.

This is great consistency, and breaks up well. Even the large pieces, but I'm leaving a couple in that I'll toss on top of the minion when I put the hot coals in. I like the feel and looks of it. I don't know about the claims which state 1 lb. of kiawe produce the heat of 2 lbs. of briquettes, since that is subjective and depends on briquettes, etc...but I'll let you masters of 'que fuel butt pork heads over that issue.:)

I was gonna shove a bear in the rear of that chicken, but since I don't really like beer much anyway, I'll skip that, go with some wild rice, mushrooms, onions, garlic, sautee'd in butter...that sounds better than beer to me, anyway...but maybe I'll add some wine with it, I know, a snooty thing to do...but what can I say...

front-of-bag.jpg

back-of-bag.jpg

minion.jpg

News at 11:00, whenever that is...

Oh, it was $16.99 for a 20 lb. bag, so a couple bucks more than the BBQ Galore Lazzari (oak).

I've never seen this brand before, but have picked up kiawe smoke wood and charcoal in Maui while on vacation and shipped it home. It's fine. Apparently it's the same thing as mesquite or from the same family as mesquite.

Like the colorful bag!

Chris

Alan, you've gotta hit Lazzari's HQ, as I did friday. The oak hardwood lump is still the best deal around. FYI, the fist order I got, which you got a bag of, they charged me the wrong price. It should have been $16, which is still a hell of a bargain!!!!

John,

$16 is a great deal on that stuff, even considering there was dust and/or small pieces. They only charged you $10 for the last ones, which was absurd actually, it was 40 or 50 lbs.

I might need to make a run up there, but there's a chance I will be back in West Virginia for 2 months, and if so will be looking to buy some charcoal and/or get a kettle for while I'm there, and then stock up here after I get back. I don't know if I'm going for sure yet, but trying to plan now...

Chris,

Could be be of the same family as mesquite but breaks up nicely like the oak. Could be the burn process also, in that the oak we get around here was just made with better conditions/heat somehow...not sure. My wife just got home, I need to get that chicken stuffed and in the smoker...:-/

Aloha no... Is this "Ono" brand available on the mainland? I live in the State of Washington and was born and raised in Hawaii. I bbq, smoke, huli-huli, kalua and pulehu alot up here and would like to get some. How can I get some? Mahalo in advance...

joe aka honu41

Joe,

I got it at BBQ Galore.

There should be one up in your neck of the woods, give them a ring and see if they carry it.

My wife liked the smoke flavor from it quite a bit, which is surprising...I found it similar to the oak I've been using mostly, a nice mild charcoal, good flavor, seems like good stuff to me.

as i lived in hawaii for a long time and wife is from maui, i'd like to get some also. the bbq galore near me closed so i would have to go to the bay area. darn.

Alan D... mahalo for the info. Sadly there are no sources here in the Pacific Northwest. The closest place to buy them is in the Bay area.

George, I wrote to "Ono" for info on the charcoal. I use alder, maple and apple plus briquets and lump. I did a huli-huli pig last Nov in Las Vegas for my Family Reunion and just the smell and sounds of kiawe (cuz from AZ brought some) burning brought back lots of memories of open fire cooking.

Take care and keep in touch.

aloha no,
joe

Back