Onion bombs

Anne M.

TVWBB Pro
I don't take pictures that often...
But yesterday I made onion bombs.
Idea by Raichlen, spicing totally changed to my liking
The bread was baked in the uuni 3 a little earlier. My sourdough take on Turkish pide

IMG_20230712_154627206.jpg

IMG_20230712_184659708.jpg

IMG_20230712_190132841.jpg

Then some extra pics since I'm posting anyway
Angle iron sausages on open fire
IMG_20230704_193459737.jpg

And uuni pizza
Well, that picture doesn't want to cooperate, so I'll add it later

Last edited:
That is a great cook, Anne!! You've inspired me. I forgot all about that Raichlen recipe. Awesome job on that bread...can you provide details??

I think I might get some smallish onions and try this out! Doing a brace of meatloaves in the new “Perforated hotel pan” this weekend, peach cobbler, grits have been requested, might have to go the the farmers market Saturday for a vegetable. Or maybe a country drive?

So what’s an onion bomb? Just onion wrapped in bacon?
Nah,
Basically spiced ground meat, then onion (check on the right of my first picture) then wrapped in bacon.

So you take an onion, peel, half lengthwise and peel of the layers, keeping the 2 pieces together to fill

That is a great cook, Anne!! You've inspired me. I forgot all about that Raichlen recipe. Awesome job on that bread...can you provide details??
I have no oven, so I use the uuni/ooni 3 and can only make small, flattish bread.
I use the following, then divide in 4 and keep in the fridge
150 gr active 60% hydration starter
750 gr flour (mixture of AP and brown)
500 gr water.

Stir, quickly kneed till it comes together
Let sit for about 20-30 minutes then add salt (15-17 gr), incorporate.
Then 3 stretch & folds, 30 to 60 minutes apart.
Then 2-3 hours before dividing in 4, balling and putting in fridge or 4+ hours before using.
Till now this works at almost every temperature. But I adjust according to what it looks like.

From fridge, re-ball, flatten and let sit till ready (going by feel here, longer for pizza than bread).

I pre-heat the uuni for 10-15 minutes, then turn off and immediately launch bread.
Let sit for 8-10 minutes, then light uuni to low and turn bread every 50-60 seconds till nice and brown
I've the gas attachment

For pizza I divide in 2
There uuni goes on high for 12-15 minutes.
Launch pizza and turn every 25-30 seconds
IMG_20230615_165033744.jpg

I think I might get some smallish onions and try this out! Doing a brace of meatloaves in the new “Perforated hotel pan” this weekend, peach cobbler, grits have been requested, might have to go the the farmers market Saturday for a vegetable. Or maybe a country drive?

These onions were quite small, I think it is best when they are not too big.
I prepared them on the wsm 14, top rack, no water pan, lump charcoal, no lid

I have no oven, so I use the uuni/ooni 3 and can only make small, flattish bread.
I use the following, then divide in 4 and keep in the fridge
150 gr active 60% hydration starter
750 gr flour (mixture of AP and brown)
500 gr water.

Stir, quickly kneed till it comes together
Let sit for about 20-30 minutes then add salt (15-17 gr), incorporate.
Then 3 stretch & folds, 30 to 60 minutes apart.
Then 2-3 hours before dividing in 4, balling and putting in fridge or 4+ hours before using.
Till now this works at almost every temperature. But I adjust according to what it looks like.

From fridge, re-ball, flatten and let sit till ready (going by feel here, longer for pizza than bread).

I pre-heat the uuni for 10-15 minutes, then turn off and immediately launch bread.
Let sit for 8-10 minutes, then light uuni to low and turn bread every 50-60 seconds till nice and brown
I've the gas attachment

For pizza I divide in 2
There uuni goes on high for 12-15 minutes.
Launch pizza and turn every 25-30 seconds
View attachment 74708
Thank you so much, Anne. Gorgeous pies there...

Back