One Hot Sauce To Rule Them All?

John K BBQ

TVWBB All-Star
The thread title here doesn't really apply, because I don't think there is any way in H E double hockey sticks that I could ever get down to just one hot sauce but maybe I could get down to 2 or 3 (not counting Siracha...) just so I can turn the inventory a little faster. I have a half dozen hot sauces in my arsenal, and none of them are being used fast enough. Most hot sauces tend to lose some potency over time.

I'm thinking Franks Hot, Texas Pete, and Green Habanero.... are my three. Franks* works with anything cajun, Pete's for tex mex/red chili, and bbq enhancement, and green habanero for more heat on the tex mex/or white chili when needed. It's a really tough call for me between Franks and McIlhenny Tabasco. Mostly going Franks because my wifey uses it once in a while and won't touch tabasco with a 10 ft pole. Sometimes I prefer Tabasco because it's a little more vinegary, and seems to have a little smoke flavor from the wood barrel aging. .

If you could only have 3 hot sauces in your house, which 3 and why?

Red Tabasco for anything Cajun and other Southern foods, Pico Pica for Mexican and most Southwestern foods and my fermented Green Jalapeño when I want an extra kick.

For everyday hot sauce use I usually have a bottle of Aldi's Frank's copy. It isn't too hot and has good flavor. I also usually have a bottle of Valentina hot sauce which is thicker and works well on tacos and burritos. LaVictoria green taco sauce makes a great companion sauce, you gotta have one green or salsa verde on hand.

Frank's and Valentina have me covered. I do keep a bottle of Crystal at work and replace it when it runs out. Not sure why I use Frank's at home and Crystal at work..

There are many red hot sauces I like, but this one hits it out of the park for a green hot sauce.

20211103_202253.jpg

10+ in my fridge door that doesn't get used fast enough. Including ones like Blair's ultra death.....look it up!
If I had to commit to 3 these would be them.

Marie Sharp's - generally 5 different levels of heat
These minis dictate the 5 levels in this order. 1, 4, 3, 2 and the farthest right is the hottest level 5....it won't kill you but it's pretty warm.
My favorite is #3 in the middle......
Central American made with lots of veggies, a real good flavor.

1636028292241.png

Tabasco........speaks for itself, been around longer than you can imagine.

1636028456449.png

To make a third choice is tricky......Probably Valentina's, yellow label is good but they do have a hotter one.
These 3 would round out a lot of different flavors and different ethnic cooks.
Of course I see soooooo many I haven't tried before, hence the door is full of hot sauces.

1636028980571.png

I often ask myself this question, and I'd have to go with Louisiana or Tabasco. Those sauces to me (for some reason) are *true* hot sauces, and if I could squeeze Sriracha in there I would.

I like just about any hot sauce where vinegar isn't the first two main ingredients

I don't like a sauce that's too hot, so I'm liking Herdez avocado hot sauce on most everything, especially sardines.

16bd36de68345e0bcecb374b7bd9a4c49533b3168004b660fa851a9b2f63ce33

I recently broke down and bought a bottle of St Louis' 314 hot sauce at $4.xx per 6 0z. bottle. It's ok, I like Frank's better.

314_single_white_web.jpg

I like just about any hot sauce where vinegar isn't the first two main ingredients
Give Herdez avocado a try, no vinegar listed:
Water, Tomatillos, Soybean Oil, Green Chile Peppers, Avocados, Onions, Cilantro, Contains 2% Or Less Of Iodized Salt (contains Potassium Iodate), Acetic Acid (to Acidify), Dehydrated Onion Lime Juice Concentrate, Maltodextrin, Natural And Artificial Flavors, Sugar, Canola Oil, Calcium Silicate, Bakers Yeast Extract, .

Water, Tomatillos, Soybean Oil, Green Chile Peppers, Avocados, Onions, Cilantro, Contains 2% Or Less Of Iodized Salt (contains Potassium Iodate), Acetic Acid (to Acidify), Dehydrated Onion Lime Juice Concentrate, Maltodextrin, Natural And Artificial Flavors, Sugar, Canola Oil, Calcium Silicate, Bakers Yeast Extract, .
I never tried that one, but have tried the guacamole hot sauce they make.
Wonder if they are similar or the same?

My bride picked up a two-pack of that from Costco, but it's the mild. It's really good and I put it on my tacos all the time. I will have to look for the hot

But the bottom line is: If you want a good hot sauce, you gotta make your own. This is my son's

EsCDnzu.jpg

jHzhrhc.jpg

IUcFBdq.jpg

He oven roasts them in the CI skillet. One of these days I'll roast them in the BBQ to add some smoke flavoring

Last edited:
This one makes a good marinade (imho)

sIAANb4.jpg
There's a Peri Peri chicken recipe in Steven Raichlen's BBQ Bible that I tried several years ago. It was good but not really worth the effort. I might try this sauce next time I head over to TJ's.... looks really interesting.

Back