Old school yard bird, mashed pots, gravy and roasted beets

Looks awesome Brett - what did you season the bird with? SPG?
SPOG and a few dashes of hot chili powder.

Salt went on first, then layered the rest. Sat dry brining on counter for 90 mins.

Indirect on the E6, JDXL, and kept at 400°F the whole cook for a nice crispy skin. One of the halves reached temp 8 mins before the other (one with backbone took longer) with a pull temp of 155°F and rested lightly tented for 10 mins before slicing.

Gravy has shiitake powder in it which I added into the roux along with thyme. Slow cooked and reduced gravy for one hour.

Pure comfort food. Hit the mark.

We skipped dinner. Had a late lunch at the villa toscano bistro, but this made my mouth water.
Perfect weather today for wine tasting. Did you get their pizza or burger? We have to get there and reload a case of white Barbera. We’re about out of it. It makes a great summer wine.

Their sandwiches are great. Went with pastrami and it was perfect. I usually have that or prime rib French dip or their BBQ tri tip Sammie.

Shirt sleeve weather all day.

We didn't taste at toscano.

Tasted at Runquist, vino noceto and Sobon.

Runquist was excellent as always.
Vino noceto was great.
Sobon was OK.

SPOG and a few dashes of hot chili powder.

Salt went on first, then layered the rest. Sat dry brining on counter for 90 mins.

Indirect on the E6, JDXL, and kept at 400°F the whole cook for a nice crispy skin. One of the halves reached temp 8 mins before the other (one with backbone took longer) with a pull temp of 155°F and rested lightly tented for 10 mins before slicing.

Gravy has shiitake powder in it which I added into the roux along with thyme. Slow cooked and reduced gravy for one hour.

Pure comfort food. Hit the mark.
Brett - how did you set the fire up on your E6? Charcoal on the bottom with diffuser plate installed or charcoal grate in top position with Weber's charcoal baskets on both sides w/chicken in the middle?

Brett - how did you set the fire up on your E6? Charcoal on the bottom with diffuser plate installed or charcoal grate in top position with Weber's charcoal baskets on both sides w/chicken in the middle?
I have done the runway method, cb’s split into left and right sides in the past but this cook, and many of my cooks like this are cb’s on the topmost coal deck, in a circle shape, positioned at the hinge side of the E6.

I placed heavy duty aluminum foil on the coal grate at the indirect side to catch the chicken juices so as to not pollute and messy up the E6, having just cleaned her last week.

I pretty much only use the lower coal position and diffuser plate for ribs and brisket cooks, all longer indirect and lower temp cooks.

I like to use the cb’s on the upper coal deck for these higher heat indirect cooks. It allows me to sear the proteins directly if I need that extra char flavor, think boneless breasts and thighs. All while going indirect for 90%+ of a cook.

I am planning an upcoming direct jdxl cook for a tomahawk or cowboy cut ribeye. That cook will be a single cb loaded up, on the lower coal position so I can actively go direct and indirect for that fine cut of meat. This method will give me a nice direct sear with minimal flare ups and build a nice crust and not burn any of the fat or steak.

I got this idea from a video I watched recently. I’ll dig it up and share it. It had a good method that I think will play well on the E6.

Lmk if you’d like a pic of last nights bird grill setup. I can grab one of the now cooled grill. I just shut her down last night after the cook, quickly, so all the setup is still where I left the cbs and foil.

Here’s the video link. He was cooking on a Weber Kamado!

That's a most worthy birdy cook
Juicy and d flavorful. I was really excited for the gravy. That ground shiitake powder made it next level. Just used dried shiitakes I have from Ranch99 and ground them in the spice grinder. Instant umami flavor.

Back