Old 18"- Can't Get Hot Enough

Refer back to my original post....

No water pan - I have a {really nice silver plated serving platter} pizza pan that I foil for a heat deflector/drippings catcher.
Probes are good - placed right thru the grommet so it it right at bottom grate level ~4" in --- I used to put it on the top grate, but this is way easier and I don't have to scrub the cable every time. Lid temp reads ~250ish when the probe is reading 275-280 - as expected.

My coal setup may be a point of contention.... I made a 'basket' to fit in the fire ring -- ~1/2 chimney of unlit in the basket and ~1/2 chimney of lit on top. I made the basket because I just can't bring myself to fill the ring with 10# of coals to cook one or two birds -- I realized that the coal bed needs to be deep - not wide - for heat - so the basket contains the coals nicely at a good depth. I figure this way I'm only using ~3# of coals per cook. I've realized that even if I do use a ****load more coals, the temp just doesn't go any higher - it tops out at ~300 - and I'm left with a whole bunch of half burnt coals that just kinda suck to deal with. I had tried to make a vortex for it at one point out of a popcorn can and it worked kinda okay.... but I gave up on it in favor of the basket. Looking back on those cooks, I'm realizing they did run hotter and got even hotter when the lid was off for a while, but it would still always settle back down to ~275 --- it probably would've worked well with cracking the lid now with hindsight. I still have plenty of coals left a the end of the cook so I've come to the conclusion the issue is not enough air flow.

After the last cook I did give it a good scrub down to get rid of all the grease and smoke stains on the outside and I scrubbed the sealing lip between the lid and the barrel --- the lid was getting to the point where it would 'stick' horribly with all the grease --- I'm betting that was a really GOOD seal at that point.... Next round I plan on running it with NO pan for more direct/radiant heat - and probably flipping it on its breast at some point too. Also thinking it may be time to give the inside of the barrel a good scrubbing too... there is quite a bit of build up that could be sucking up a lot of heat.... but that requires a lot of commitment.

I 'know' the right thing to do is to just 'throw a whole bag of coal in there and let it rip'..... but I just can't bring myself to do that - nor can I afford that - just to get crispy skin that is only good the first night. Finishing in the oven is fine with me - and it works well to make a cornbread or biscuits for the meal too. I will add too that I've run into a kettle - sweet Performa Deluxe - that I've still got to get some cook time on -- I figure that will work well for parts and spatchcock and should give me crispy skin.... Added bonus is the kettle has gas assist so the half burnt coals are easily dealt with now.

Quite honestly, I'm happier that the WSM self limits to ~300 instead of fighting to keep temps down..... I chased the 225-250 for too long only to realize that running it wide open only gets me ~275 to 300 max. Makes pork butts set and forget..... need to work up the courage (and $$) to try a brisket.

Wait til I show you my snake set up for pork butts..... eezypeezy set and forget.... except for more smoke and spritzing.

Attachments

• 20220517_144803.jpg
    20220517_144803.jpg
    251.1 KB · Views: 17
  • 20220517_181309.jpg
    20220517_181309.jpg
    257.1 KB · Views: 17
  • 20220517_193810.jpg
    20220517_193810.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 15
  • 20210404_122835.jpg
    20210404_122835.jpg
    203.8 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Not enough lit coals to start. Ditch the basket. And ditch the deflector pan.

Try Chris A’s hot and fast chicken recipe. 1.5 chimneys lit. No pan. Door cracked. Equals 310F.

The amount of unlit coals doesn’t matter, since the cook is short.

The wsm is designed to run at a moderate temp for a long time. So you do have to do things differently to get the temp up.

You can also smoke at a lower temp and then remove the mid section at the end. Then crisp the chicken right over the coals. Which will be very hot. Or finish in the oven or on a gas grill.

Last edited:
More heat requires more coal, basic reasoning, by being as frugal as you are you just don’t have enough fuel to get that air space as hot as you need, just bite the bullet and use more coal

I thank all for the input, but..... I have tried all this in the past - I have gone so far as to add another 1/2-3/4 chimney of LIT coals towards the end of the cook trying to 'finish' the chicken --- every time I've tried that, the temp would spike to ~330 and then just settle right back to the 275 range. Even using waaay more coal than I would ever like to from the get go, it still maintains 275-300..... Now, granted, I didn't think about cracking the lid on these previous cooks --- I'm sure if I had done that, it would have hit 325+ fairly easily --- I definitely noticed that the temp would spike every time I opened the lid - but would always settle after the lid was replaced.

I will say too -- that I had been going thru different brands of coals in the past.... KBB - Embers - Kroger --- basically what ever was the cheapest/on sale... so there was always the 'theory' that the cheaper coals didn't burn as hot as KBB. I don't think that was actually the case now looking back. Just needed the understanding of air flow and coal bed shape as to how that affects temps. I'm thinking my homemade Vortex worked better than I thought now understanding the inherent airflow limitations of the unit now.... I may have to try making another one.

Call me silly --- but I'm one who believes that it just doesn't make sense to burn $5 worth of coals (half a 20# bag) to cook a $5 chicken - or even two.... I can smoke a pork butt for 7-8 hours at 250 with just less than a 1/4 of a bag. I'm always horrified to watch videos where people are FILLING the coal ring just to cook 'a couple pieces' of chicken - or wings - or even a whole chicken..... Sure, you can snuff the leftover coals --- but having a bunch of half burnt coals generally kinda pisses me off.... they fall thru the chimney when you try to light them and/or fall thru the grate when you pour them in. (I know - I need a second coal grate....) At least now having a kettle with coal baskets, they are still viable and easily used.

I see Safeway having whole chickens for $0.77/# next week --- I'll be trying again soon - clean(er) unit - more coals - no pan/deflector - cracked lid --- I'll report back.

Yeah ---- I know - I'm a cheap bastard. Thank god I have a 2 and a 3 burner gasser and a smoke tube for doing brats and burgers.... propane is cheap.

Last edited:
I understand the “cheap” feeling about spending equal amounts of money on fuel as the protein but, if you want the higher temps you will need more fuel or a change in technique.
Thats the big reason I do not use the WSM for one or two chickens but, happily use one chimney of coal in the kettle for two birds on the rotisserie. The addition of smoke is pretty easy if you want it. Two spinning birds doesn’t take more fuel than one and, that way I can have leftovers!
Now, I also shut everything down and have leftover coal in the baskets almost every time. That’s being frugal, not cheap.

Do you by chance have a kettle? For only one chicken maybe just use a standard kettle. You'll get it hotter and just toss in a small piece of wood. I cook chicken breast this way with the chicken opposite the coals on an elevated grate. I've come to prefer peach wood. You could customize the setup to suit your needs.

Jim W -- the wsm is a great smoker but a meh grill. So your choices are:

1. Get a kettle which is a great grill. And super cheap on Cragislist or FBM.
2. Cook your chickens on the gasser.
3. Use 1.5 chimneys of lit to do Chris' hot n fast chicken for the wsm.
4. Set your WSM up to use in grilling mode. It works pretty good.

Yeah --- I've come to the conclusion that I should just be happy with the exceptional smokiness of the WSM birds and stop worrying about the skin - its so good even without a 'nice' crispiness. I need to play more with the kettle and see what I can do with it - I'm betting spatchcocking will work really well on it - I'm excited to finally try it. The WSM will be for two whole birds at a time -- kettle for most everything else.

You should try removing the wsm mid section for the crisping.

Smoke the birds on the wsm as you like to do.

Then remove the midsection and put the grate down on top of the ring. You already have the coals going. So a frugal guys would go ahead and use them for a high temp finish.

You should try removing the wsm mid section for the crisping.

Smoke the birds on the wsm as you like to do.

Then remove the midsection and put the grate down on top of the ring. You already have the coals going. So a frugal guys would go ahead and use them for a high temp finish.
Quite honestly, too much screwing around for me to do that.... I 'could' do that, but I won't. I'll just finish it in the oven - scrape down the grates and snuff it out and use the half coals in the kettle.

Jim W -- the wsm is a great smoker but a meh grill. So your choices are:

1. Get a kettle which is a great grill. And super cheap on Cragislist or FBM.
2. Cook your chickens on the gasser.
3. Use 1.5 chimneys of lit to do Chris' hot n fast chicken for the wsm.
4. Set your WSM up to use in grilling mode. It works pretty good.

#1 what Jim C stated. Use the kettle grill.
I don't even take the cover off the WSM for chicken.

Okay --- so I fired up the WSM for another chicken yesterday....
- Freshly cleaned unit - cleaned vents and lid/barrel seal to remove grease
- NO water pan or drip pan
- same charcoal
- same amount of coal as last time (probably less) - ~full chimney - 1/2 lit - 1/2 unlit
- weather -- slightly cooler and less breezy than previous cook
- probe thru gasket measuring barrel temp ~ lower grate level

- I half assed spatchcocked this bird - first time for me - 6.25#er - removed the spine and 'tried' to flatten it, but obviously I didn't break the breast enough.... it didn't sit all that flat, but at least the back was open.

So I fired it up - was happy to see the barrel temp get up to 330-360+ --- I actually had to close off the lower vents to keep the temp down.... First time EVER! It rolled nicely between 325-350 the whole cook - I had the alarm set at 375 in case it ran away. The lid temp was reading ~250-275 max thru out the cook --- which seemed kinda low for a barrel temp of 325+.... I chalked it up to a cold bird on the grate initially, but it seemed pretty constant.

I was quite blown away that the bird finished up to 170+ (in the breast) in ONLY 2 hours!!!! I usually plan on 3.5-4 hours when running at 250-275 (barrel temp). The skin looked pretty typical at the 1-1.5 hour mark --- kinda dried out and nice golden color --- I flipped it over to breast side down for the rest of the cook. When I pulled it off, the skin was definitely 'more' cooked than previous ones, but it just had a fat/grease sheen to it - it wasn't really all that crisp.... but it looked really good.

I was kinda surprised at the distinctive 'burnt fat' flavor that came thru from no drip pan at first.... different, a bit off putting at first, but still good. Leftovers tonight will tell the true story and dictate whether I go panless again.

So my take aways ----
- No drip pan probably helped to stoke the fire with fresh drippings and fat - not surprising - but I've never run with NO pan. There was plenty of coals left at the end of the cook and there was definitely a nice grease fire going on the coals when I pulled the bird --- it easily would have been screaming hot if I hadn't shut down the vents -- two ~1/5 open - one ~1/2 open -- early in the cook.
- I don't know what 'magic' cleaning the vents and lid/barrel flange did, but it most certainly was running hotter from the get go than previous cooks.
- I need to clean the stub of the lid thermometer to see if I can get closer agreement.
- If spatchcocking speeds up the cook THAT much.... I used waaay too much coal.
- Even cooking a bird at that higher temp --- the skin was still far below my expectations for 'crispy skin'..... I think its time to give up trying to get crispy skin on the WSM and start focusing more on the kettle.

I was really torn as to choosing the WSM or kettle yesterday.... but I figured the 6.25#er was too big for my maiden whole bird cook on the kettle. I've got a 4.5#er in the fridge that will work perfectly for that. I still need to see if I can get crispy skin on thighs first on the kettle.

Last edited:
Really Crisp skin requires a roasting temp. 375F minimum and better if over 400F.

That is easier to do on a gasser or kettle. Or when using your wsm in grill mode.

Best tool for crisp skin is kettle and a Vortex. Which is very high heat but indirect (so as to avoid an inferno).

I dunno man. I cooked a lot of chicken on my 18 and 22 WSM and always had stellar results.
You remove the water pan and you have a pit barrel cooker but without the flames you get with a kettle.
And don't get me wrong if you leave the lid up for too long you will have a grease fire .
It's basic fire management for the equipment you have to use.

Yeah - thats the trade off I keep looking at - hot fast cook for skin ---- or low slow for smoke.... I am impressed with how much smoke made it into the chicken in 2 hours compared to the typical 3-4 hour cooks.

So now the one thing I'm wondering about is..... when I season the bird, I'll put the dry rub on it the night before and let it dry brine in the fridge until 3-4pm the next day.... I've 'always heard' that you want the meat (and skin) dry for smoking and that chicken (like fish) needs the pellicle to form to get good smoke flavor.... And, I'm one that believes that seasoning on skin has minimal penetration, so more time gives it more of a chance to work thru...... I wondering if my prep of dry brining has an impact on how crispy the skin gets...?...? I would think there would be plenty of moisture coming out of the meat to rehydrate the skin while its cooking.... Next experiment will be the 'lazy' rub-and-let-sit-for-an-hour prep to see if that makes a difference. To be honest --- I don't think the rub really adds all that much flavor -- unless you're eating the skin -- to the meat.... I'm quite happy with the deep smoke flavor of the meat by itself. Following experiment --- no rub and just thrown on the smoker.....

Back